Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Change kit by hitting a pad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change kit by hitting a pad?

Hi all,

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, it's just my 23 years as a software developer that makes me think in different ways, but is it possible to program a kit to change to another kit when a pad is struck? I have the VPro kit (expanded TD10). I know I can use a foot switch, but it'd be too cool to change with a pad! Just let me know!

Thanks all!!

Chris

Yes you can, it is in the same place that the foot control settings are. I'm doing this from memory so if it is not exactly right, let me know. Hit setup on the module. Hit F1 or triggers, there will be a section on foot switch, go there and then find where the change from foot switch to pad is and then assign a pad you want to use. You can also use a pad to assign a recorded pattern.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by FloridaDrummer:
      Yes you can, it is in the same place that the foot control settings are. I'm doing this from memory so if it is not exactly right, let me know. Hit setup on the module. Hit F1 or triggers, there will be a section on foot switch, go there and then find where the change from foot switch to pad is and then assign a pad you want to use. You can also use a pad to assign a recorded pattern.

Dave
      Wow! That's great! Thanks for the info, Dave. I'll give it a try tonight. Thanks again!

Chris

Comment

You can even use an insert cable and use two pads, one to move up one increment (kit), the other to move down one increment (kit).

Comment

Originally posted by dr. kildrum:
          You can even use an insert cable and use two pads, one to move up one increment (kit), the other to move down one increment (kit).
          Could you elaborate on that, Dr? Forgive my ignorance, but what's an "insert cable"? That sounds like something I could really use!! Thanks for the input!

Chris

Comment

They are normally used for effects send/return. It is a cable with a 1/4 inch stereo (TRS) plug on one end and two 1/4 inch plugs on the other end (a special kind of "Y" cable) On the end with two plugs, one gets the tip sinal, one gets the ring (to really oversimplify). The net effect is you can send and receive (mostly used for effects loops on mixer channels) on the same cable. The manual for your TD-10 mentions a special Roland cable for doing this (can't remember the model), but any insert cable will do. You can get one from Hosa in many different lengths. Do a search. I'm pretty sure I've posted a link somewhere to one. Anyway, your TD-10 allows you to set what something connected to that aux control jack does. Set it to up kit increment and down kit increment (it is one of your choices), plug the end of an insert cable with one jack into the appropriate jack in the TD, plug the other two jacks into two pads, and you're there. Hitting one will select the next kit up until you are at 50, and hitting the other pad will increment on down through the kits.

Comment

They are normally used for effects send/return. It is a cable with a 1/4 inch stereo (TRS) plug on one end and two 1/4 inch plugs on the other end (a special kind of "Y" cable) On the end with two plugs, one gets the tip sinal, one gets the ring (to really oversimplify). The net effect is you can send and receive (mostly used for effects loops on mixer channels) on the same cable. The manual for your TD-10 mentions a special Roland cable for doing this (can't remember the model), but any insert cable will do. You can get one from Hosa in many different lengths. Do a search. I'm pretty sure I've posted a link somewhere to one. Anyway, your TD-10 allows you to set what something connected to that aux control jack does. Set it to up kit increment and down kit increment (it is one of your choices), plug the end of an insert cable with one jack into the appropriate jack in the TD, plug the other two jacks into two pads, and you're there. Hitting one will select the next kit up until you are at 50, and hitting the other pad will increment on down through the kits.

That's pretty cool, Doc. Thanks for the info! I'll want to try that as soon as I can find the cable. Let me guess....the bill is in the mail, right? ha ha. Thanks again!

Comment

Actually, Doc, I should have asked if this is covered under my current health insurance?

Comment

The doctor willingly accepts cyber pats on the back, high-fives, and the occasional beer when I'm in your town (unless otherwise specified in advance).

Comment

I live in a pretty big town and I couldn't get an "insert cable". FYI, you can make one from radio shack or another store. I had to get a few parts to make it work but you just need to split it into two mono connections. I needed to but three things to make it work, but it will work once you understand the concept.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by FloridaDrummer:
                      I live in a pretty big town and I couldn't get an "insert cable". FYI, you can make one from radio shack or another store. I had to get a few parts to make it work but you just need to split it into two mono connections. I needed to but three things to make it work, but it will work once you understand the concept.

Dave
                      Ask and you (occasionally) shall receive: http://www.zzounds.com/love.music?p=...=1238090319628 That's a link to a 2 meter one at a typical price. They can be made by hand or with adapters, but more trouble than it's worth (IMO). Tip from the stereo cable only to one plug, ring only to the other and common ground (sleeve).

I'm surprised you couldn't find these. No studio can do without tons, nor can most anyone who records or uses much outboard gear. They are very common.

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by dr. kildrum:
                        They are very common.
                        Yep. I find this an unusual problem. I have a whole box full of them and I have never been to a music store that doesn't sell them.
                        Steve

'I only ever quote myself - except when I quote someone else' - me

, plenty of , and , , triggered acoustics, , and a plethora of PA blah blah freakin blah...I mean does anyone care about the specifics of pedals, speakers, processors, hardware or anything that I'm using?? :confused: Hmmm, maybe this is an appropriate place to mention that I tried out a new cymbal stand the other day...

Comment

I thought it was strange too. When I bought the two pedals to change the kits, etc. I told them I needed that cable. This is Sam Ash, a large one at that with around 32,000 square feet, real big store. They didn't have one. I went to radio shack a few stores down and they didn't have them either. I had to buy a Y cable that is used for cell phones and convert it.

Comment

Dr. Kildrum
                            Will the insert cable in the footswitch jack work on a TD-8 also (for kit switching)?

I'm a drummer. I don't play the timpani! Hire a percussionist!!!

Comment

Hmmm. I've never been in a Sam Ash that didn't carry them. They were either out, or more likely, you got a clerk who wouldn't know a "Y" cable from "K-Y". That is not uncommon. Ask for an effects send/return cable or an insert cable next time you need one, and look for a furrowed brow. If you see that, ask someone else.

Comment

Working...
                              X