Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Amp Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp Question

I am new to this Forum, and I know this question has been beat to death. But I'll ask anyway.
    I am not a drumer, but I bought my son a set of roland v-studio drums for Christmas. He is 11 years old and has been playing a regular set of drums for about 2 years, lots of noise. The great thing about the e-drums is he can practice any time with headphones. But I know there will be times he will want to play loud and thats OK. I have located two used amps both are Peavey one is a KB 100 for $175.00 and the other is a KB 300 for $275.00. Will these work for in home use, witch would be better and is the price about right for that type of amp? Any feed back would be great. Thanks, Freemont

Originally posted by Freemont:
    I have located two used amps both are Peavey one is a KB 100 for $175.00 and the other is a KB 300 for $275.00. Will these work for in home use, witch would be better and is the price about right for that type of amp? Any feed back would be great. Thanks, Freemont
    Hi Freemont,

You and your son welcome to this board!
    Well I think the amps are OK, but what you have to worry about are the speakers. The best way to find some good speakers is to take your TD-xx module to the store and play the demo songs over a lot of different speakers.

Alternative:

When I had my TD-7 six years ago, I had an old (Heavy, big speakers) HiFi set which I didn't use anymore.
    I connected the main-out of de TD-xx module to the aux-in (or cd-in) from the HiFi amp. And it works fine! Sound is not so incredible as with the headphone but it's a nice cheap start for what your son wants.
    In this way you have more time to decide what to buy. Depending if he wants to play the V-drums at rehearsals and gigs or only at home.

Groetjes,

Peter

------------------
    Meneer Van Zanten (sorry, in Dutch)
    My bands: Meneer Van Zanten and The Shed (sorry, both in Dutch but you can see the pictures, videoclips and listen to our songs)

Comment

Not sure if Peter understands that both of those Peaveys are combo amps (with speakers) in fact I beleive they both have 15" speakers which is helpful for your application. I don't know much about either I'm afraid, but they should do a reasonable job. My guess is that a PM-3 would give you a lot better sound (and stereo) but for about $400. Try Harmony Central for some comments on the Peaveys: http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data/Peavey/

Comment

A keyboard amp my work well also and be fairly cheap. I use a Crate keyboard amp which has an EQ so I can adjust some of the sound it works well.

------------------
        Ted H.
        www.tocsinrocks.com
        Ted H.

Comment

You bought V-Drums for your 11 year old son?
          Will you be my Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by Arriguy:
            Will you be my Daddy?
            I thought it was normal for sons of US musicians to get that sort of presents

------------------
            My bands: Meneer Van Zanten and The Shed (sorry, both in Dutch but you can see the pictures, videoclips and listen to our songs)

Comment

Originally posted by dr. kildrum:
              Not sure if Peter understands that both of those Peaveys are combo amps (with speakers)
              Nop I didn't

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Stixx777:
                A keyboard amp my work well also and be fairly cheap. I use a Crate keyboard amp which has an EQ so I can adjust some of the sound it works well.

The Peavey's mentioned are keyboard amps. I used the old KB100 (now KB/A 100) 75 watt amp as a monitor a couple years ago for a short period of time. I didn't think much of it for a monitor in a live situation, but for home use it should be ok.

I own a KB/A 300. Not sure if there are differences in the old/new models. It's 150 watts and does a much better job as a monitor. It has 4 band EQ and reverb to help tweak the sound. I use it at home and haven't got past 3 on the gain and main levels. It gets quite loud and vibrates the heating duct in my basement. You don't need this for your stated purpose. I paid 500 for it 2 yrs ago. If either of these is in good working condition, the price doesn't sound that high. I'm sure there are better out there, but for used, you buy what's available.
                Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by Arriguy:
                  Will you be my Daddy?

Arriguy,
                  Sometimes it seems like I am everybodys daddy.
                  But after checking out your web site it looks like you are probably doing OK on your own.

Thanks to all for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by Freemont:

Arriguy,
                    Sometimes it seems like I am everybodys daddy.
                    But after checking out your web site it looks like you are probably doing OK on your own.

Thanks to all for your help.
                    Oh yea, I have other motives, I would like to learn to play drums too (but don't tell anyone).

Comment

Oh well it was worth a shot. Welcome aboard.

Comment

Working...
                      X