Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

double-kicker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• double-kicker

Has anyone ever tried to use a double-kick bassdrum system,in any crazy combination,and have any good results using v-pro equipment(pd-120).Maybe I should buy another kd-7,would that plug into the aux-jack,would it give me the same control & quality of sound as my primary kd-7 ??? thanks, eddie zen.

Originally posted by eddie zen:
    Has anyone ever tried to use a double-kick bassdrum system,in any crazy combination,and have any good results using v-pro equipment(pd-120).Maybe I should buy another kd-7,would that plug into the aux-jack,would it give me the same control & quality of sound as my primary kd-7 ??? thanks, eddie zen.
    Hi Eddie,

Welcome to this forum!
    If you want to read al lot about this topic you can use the search function that is on the right upper corner of this page.

I use two KD-7 kick beaters and I use the input/outputs on the kd-7 triggers to connect them. So for me the scheme is:

TD-xx trigger input
    | |
    \/
    first KD-7 output

first KD-7 input
    | |
    \/
    second KD-7 output

Groetjes,

Peter

------------------
    www.meneervanzanten.x1.nl (sorry, in Dutch)
    My bands: Meneer Van Zanten and The Shed (sorry, both in Dutch but you can see the pictures, videoclips and listen to our songs)

Comment

Thanks for sharing.I can see this forum will be very informative as I intagrate 25yrs of acoustic drumming into the world of MIDI & sound modules.I am very excited to be expanding the ways I can express myself as a drummer.

Comment

Originally posted by eddie zen:
        Thanks for sharing.I can see this forum will be very informative as I intagrate 25yrs of acoustic drumming into the world of MIDI & sound modules.I am very excited to be expanding the ways I can express myself as a drummer.
        Well Eddie, I think you are very lucky to find this forum at the beginning of your e-drum live. I'm an e-drummer since 1995 and I had to find out everything on my own. I lot of problems I had in the past are solved on this forum. It could have saved me a lot of time if I found out about this forum earlier.

Good luck and I wish you a lot of fun with your e-drum stuff.

Groetjes,

Peter

------------------
        My bands: Meneer Van Zanten and The Shed (sorry, both in Dutch but you can see the pictures, videoclips and listen to our songs)

Comment

Originally posted by mrVRock:
          Well Eddie, I think you are very lucky to find this forum at the beginning of your e-drum live.
          Ditto that eddie, and ditto on the welcome. I too come from about 25 years acoustic background and have found this site to be a fantastic source of collective e-drum experience.

BTW, a double-bass pedal on a mesh pad is no problem and works well. The PD-120 you mention is a 12" Roland pad, but is better suited for use as a tom or snare. Roland makes a KD-120 kick which is essentially the same thing turned on its side and in a stand to position it, with some foam behind the center of the pad (where the beater(s) would hit). A normal PD-120 could be made to work with a make-shift stand I suppose.

If you would like a visual, this link will take you to a page showing my kit. http://public.fotki.com/drkildrum/my_vdrums/ The photos aren't up to date, but pics 4, 5, and 6 on that old site are the only ones I have that show my KD-120 and my Axis double pedals reasonably well.

Comment

Originally posted by dr. kildrum:
            If you would like a visual, this link will take you to a page showing my kit. http://public.fotki.com/drkildrum/my_vdrums/ The photos aren't up to date, but pics 4, 5, and 6 on that old site are the only ones I have that show my KD-120 and my Axis double pedals reasonably well.
            Whow dr. kildrum what an awesome kit you have!!
            I want all those CY's to, but I have to save a lot of money first
            Where did you buy those black mesh-heads??
            There looking great!!

Peter

------------------

[This message has been edited by mrVRock (edited November 27, 2001).]

Comment

Whow dr. kildrum what an awesome kit you have!!
              I want all those CY's to, but I have to save a lot of money first
              Where did you buy those black mesh-heads??
              There looking great!!

Peter
              Thanks, Peter. Actually, the kit is a work in progress. We have spent a ton more time and effort working with the modules, sampler and effects, getting the best sounds possible, and working on selecting pads, heads, tunings, and inventions for best playability before really worrying too much about building out the kit playing surface-wise like I eventually want it...but it is getting there now. (My goal is to eventually mirror (to an extent) my acoustic setups.)

Try the web page link in my profile on this site if you are interested in another more recent photo. That one should show yet another CY-hat, two Yamaha cymbal pads, and a couple of other things I think (all of which I think were purchased from guys on this site). To complete the kit, I will be adding 2 to 4 more aux toms and a KD-7 (for aux percussion) and in the meantime all the (shell) drums will be custom re-finished. I hope to have it all done by the holidays and seem to be on track for that still, but have a lot going on.

Most of the heads are Hart 2-plys which are now available for general sale. Hart was kind enough to get me a complete set up without logos a while back (before they actually began selling anything but an early 10" version). Some heads though are beta test 3-plys from a west coast company that is experimenting with various e-drum heads at the moment (I was fortunate to get them in black to match the others in exchange for some consulting).

Incidentally, I tried the link to your site, and it was a dead link.

Thanks again for the compliments. Actually though, the sounds and playability are far and away the more impressive things about the kit. I wish I could let everyone with a serious interest in e-drums play it, not to mention some manufacturer's reps and a few nay-sayers.

Comment

I to have found "rythem" again setting the v-pros up similar to my acoustic kit.I reherse tonight,,,,, won't they be surprised!My Capt'n knows though.We dialed in drum parts for one song.I may or maynot play them all night quickly adapting.Both kits stand at attention,I don't want to waste any of my mates time! Thank-you for the wonderful chat.By the way , VERY nice websites !! eddie zen.

Comment

I don't know about a double kicker, I'm more interested in a triple kicker. I have the right hardware but I don't have enough legs. Does anyone know reasonably priced surgeon in the London area who would be willing to 'graft' in a third leg for me? Imagine the possibilities...complex polyrhythms...hi-hat and double bass-drum at the same time...operate the brake, clutch and accelerator at the same time!!!!

Comment

Good question about using dual kd7s. This irritates me.... I also use two kd7s. I plug the left kick into the right kick and then plug that into the module. For some reason, the volume from my left kick is noticeably lower than my right kick. It makes it hard to have consistent sounding rolls. Does anybody know what can be done about this?

Thanks!
                    WMP

(Weapon of Mass Percussion)

Comment

Originally posted by matts64:
                      Good question about using dual kd7s. This irritates me.... I also use two kd7s. I plug the left kick into the right kick and then plug that into the module. For some reason, the volume from my left kick is noticeably lower than my right kick. It makes it hard to have consistent sounding rolls. Does anybody know what can be done about this?

Thanks!
                      On the kd-7,you havee a attenuator(spelling?)
                      that you can turn.I had a little bit of difference in mine till I adjusted them to the same level.
                      later
                      Bad Karma

[This message has been edited by bad karma (edited November 27, 2001).]

Comment

Originally posted by newpark:
                        Does anyone know reasonably priced surgeon in the London area who would be willing to 'graft' in a third leg for me? Imagine the possibilities...complex polyrhythms...hi-hat and double bass-drum at the same time...operate the brake, clutch and accelerator at the same time!!!!
                        Save your money! It's already there in the middle. Here in the Netherlands we call it our third leg I think you have to practice a bit, but in the end I'm sure you can do all the difficult thinks that you want to do......

Peter

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by matts64:

Thanks!
                          Hi Matt,

I had the same problem, for me it was the angle of the beaters with the knob of the kd-7.
                          If they are not exactly the same one kd-7 will sound louder then the other. You can get the best result by buying two the same kick-pedals.

Groeten,

Peter

------------------

Comment

...Try the web page link in my profile on this site if you are interested in another more recent photo.
                            I was glad that I was sitting on my chair when I saw the picture, otherwise I would have fell down by the sight of so many many MANY beautiful stuff!!

Incidentally, I tried the link to your site, and it was a dead link.
                            It should work. Maybe a temporary malfunction? otherwise try this one: http://home.planet.nl/~pmsteeg/
                            At the startpage the first picture you see is me playing on my old TD-7 kit. After you click on 'HIER' you see a small picture of me and my band. At that time I had a new rack, one pd-120 and a TD-10 module (Yes!).
                            If you press on the button 'Foto's', you see more pictures of our band and some more of me. They are not so up to date because I recently buy two pd-120 and two pd-100 and I love them!! This week I make some pictures of my kit and I will post them here.

Groetjes,

Peter

------------------
                            Meneer Van Zanten (sorry, in Dutch)

Comment

...otherwise try this one: http://home.planet.nl/~pmsteeg/
                              Thanks, Peter. The first link still isn't working for me, but that one did. Unfortunately, I'm not able to listen to your tracks on the computer I am on now, so will go back and listen to them tonight. I like your site setup. Sure looks like you guys have some fun.

Comment

Working...
                              X