Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

What to run to sound board?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to run to sound board?

I've had my V-Pro kit for 9 months now. I am now more familiar with the responce, and feel of them than 20 some odd years on my accoustic kits. My question is, now that I am using it to play live, rather than just practicing at home, what do I give the sound guys from my set up. Ie.. From the TD-10 unit? If so which outputs?.. or from the base cabnet thing? Thanks for your help guys.

------------------

Originally posted by clamking:
    My question is, now that I am using it to play live, rather than just practicing at home, what do I give the sound guys from my set up.
    I use a direct box - it converts the 1/4" outputs to XLR (balanced). I then send a pair of XLR's to the snake for the sound guy, usually with a stereo mix (but sometimes with snare/bass on one channel and everything else on another). I take the master outputs directly from the TD-10 into the direct boxes, then XLR's out and 1/4" cables out to my local monitors.

- Hans
    - Hans

Comment

I just use the masters out to a stereo DI box then XLR outs to the board and Hi outs to my monitor. If I had a sound guy all the time running the board I would send him more outs but the band sets the PA and sound checks and plays most of the time with no sound guy.

------------------
      Ted H.
      www.tocsinrocks.com
      Ted H.

Comment

Several earlier posts on other threads seemed to suggest that it was necessary to have a mixer in addition to a TD8 or TD10 when playing live. Is that because it allows for better eq on the individual outs, because it helps boost the signal strength or both? Is anyone satisfied with their control over the sound from either the TD8 or TD10 running directly into the board as mentioned in the posts above?
        Ron

Comment

Originally posted by MacDrumster:

Is that because it allows for better eq on the individual outs, because it helps boost the signal strength or both?

Both, plus you can have outboard signal processors on seperate channels.

Roland TD-20 v1.08, various v-drums and v-cymbals, Yamaha KP65's, Axis pedals, Gibraltar hardware, Mackie 1202/SRM450 (pre-china)

Comment

Our band uses a sound company full-time. Here's how I'm "wired for sound":

Kick - Pan (L) - Direct 1
            Snare - Pan (R) - Direct 1
            Toms - Pan (L) - Direct 2
            Cymbals - Pan (R) - Direct 2

All 4 sends from the TD-10 go into a 4-channel, rack-mounted direct box. Then, I have all four 1/4 cables out of the direct box routed back to my Roland KC-500 amp for stage monitoring (4 channel amp...it's nice to have some control over my stage sound). The sound guys take the XLR sends out of the direct box to the snake, and so on. It's not the perfect set-up...(hi hats, ride and crash cymbals being all on one channel...including AUX sounds) but it works just fine.

Good Luck!!!

Comment

8 outputs = 8 sends for me (for the bigger gigs - otherwise only 5 sends). Always helps if you have a sound guy!

1. Kick
              2. Snare
              3. Tom 1
              4. Tom 2
              5. Tom 3
              6. Tom 4
              7. Cymbal effects
              8. Percussion effects

I use an all acoustic cymbal set up, hence no cymbal sends.

The five send setup goes:
              1. Kick
              2. Snare
              3 + 4. Toms 1-4 panned progressively L->R
              5. Cymbal and percussion effects
              Steve

'I only ever quote myself - except when I quote someone else' - me

, plenty of , and , , triggered acoustics, , and a plethora of PA blah blah freakin blah...I mean does anyone care about the specifics of pedals, speakers, processors, hardware or anything that I'm using?? :confused: Hmmm, maybe this is an appropriate place to mention that I tried out a new cymbal stand the other day...

Comment

Why do most of you use a direct box? Can't your sound guy use line level inputs?
                For me, line level works much better because:
                -Line levels are far less sensitive to RF noise.
                -A direct box may color the sound.
                -Few clubs I've played at had more than one or two direct boxes.

Comment

Two words: Signal deterioration. The DIbox prevents the signals from "losing spunk", as our soundguy puts it. A balanced signal has no loss.

The smallest amount of DI boxe I've ever seen at a venue was 10... maybe it's because the venues I deal with are used to having electronic acts that they anticipate this.
                  As for RF noise, we've had DI boxes stacked on top of each other next to a computer monitor on stage - no noise.

Stu
                  "Fry that sound effect, Moriarty, we're having it for breakfast"

Comment

The outputs from the TD-10 are balanced line levels. The only thing a direct box is doing it knocking your balanced line level down to a balanced mic level which your sound man has to pre-amplify to get back to a line level. Why not skip all that and keep the signal a balanced line level?

Comment

Originally posted by WRET AUDIO:
                      The outputs from the TD-10 are balanced line levels. The only thing a direct box is doing it knocking your balanced line level down to a balanced mic level which your sound man has to pre-amplify to get back to a line level. Why not skip all that and keep the signal a balanced line level?
                      Because, for example, most snakes use XLR inputs. TD-10 only has 1/4" outputs. I also want to pull a line for local monitors. A direct box lets me work with both.

- Hans

- Hans

Comment

Every snake I've ever used had 1/4" inputs on it so you can run line level to the mixer, or line level from the mixer for the mains or monitor mixes.

Comment

Originally posted by WRET AUDIO:
                          Every snake I've ever used had 1/4" inputs on it so you can run line level to the mixer, or line level from the mixer for the mains or monitor mixes.
                          Show me a snake with 8+ 1/4" inputs in it that arn't being taken up with monitor sends, FOH sends etc. Fact is, most stage boxes are geared up for mic level sends. Any decent PA company that I have seen, run with balanced mic level sends. I work for a large PA and lighting company and our BIG multicore's have NO 1/4" sends at all!
                          The standard 'small' 16 channel multicore has 16 mic level XLR balanced sends and 4 1/4' sends (which are generally used for FOH/monitors). As you get larger multicore's the level of XLR and 1/4" sends largely stays the same (proportionally speaking).
                          We like things XLR and balanced!
                          Steve

'I only ever quote myself - except when I quote someone else' - me

, plenty of , and , , triggered acoustics, , and a plethora of PA blah blah freakin blah...I mean does anyone care about the specifics of pedals, speakers, processors, hardware or anything that I'm using?? :confused: Hmmm, maybe this is an appropriate place to mention that I tried out a new cymbal stand the other day...

Comment

Are you sure the TD10 outputs are balanced? I don't think they are.

Jay
                            jg52

Comment

My thoughts exactly, Steve. If I were to go to any sound man who knows his stuff and were to give him 1/4" leads he'd whip me senseless with them, then rip my genitals off. After close to 20 years of live playing I know better than to piss off a sound man.

Stu

P.S. According to my handbook the TD-10 and TD-8 outputs are unbalanced.
                              "Fry that sound effect, Moriarty, we're having it for breakfast"

Comment

Working...
                              X