Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

connect 1/4 stereo to xlr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• connect 1/4 stereo to xlr

I want to connect a 1/4 stereo connector to a XLR connector for a balanced signal.
    How do I connect the tip/sleeve/ground from the 1/4 stereo connector to pin 1,2,3 from the XLR connector. I already know that pin 1 is ground but how to connect pin 2 en 3?

I did a good search but I could not find this specific connection.

------------------
    My bands: Meneer Van Zanten and The Shed (sorry, both in Dutch but you can see the pictures, videoclips and listen to our songs)

You might want to give a better explanation of what you are trying to acheive. Generally the XLR is not used to carry a stereo signal.

Comment

Originally posted by Arriguy:
      You might want to give a better explanation of what you are trying to acheive. Generally the XLR is not used to carry a stereo signal.
      Oké, I don't want to have a stereo signal. My mixer board (spirit folio SX20) has balanced inputs that are 1/4 connectors (line jacks). The only way to put a balanced signal into that input is to use a stereo 1/4 connector (tip/sleeve/ground). I want to make a cable that has a XLR connector on one end, and on the other end an 1/4 stereo connector.
      I hope you can help me to connect it.

------------------

[This message has been edited by mrVRock (edited November 16, 2001).]
      My bands: Meneer Van Zanten and The Shed (sorry, both in Dutch but you can see the pictures, videoclips and listen to our songs)

Comment

Originally posted by mrVRock:
        I want to connect a 1/4 stereo connector to a XLR connector for a balanced signal.
        How do I connect the tip/sleeve/ground from the 1/4 stereo connector to pin 1,2,3 from the XLR connector. I already know that pin 1 is ground but how to connect pin 2 en 3?
        Once I downloaded a manual for a mixer that Eric at sepdrums was selling. I found an illustration which give you exactly what you want.

Go to: http://www.behringer.de/eng/products...ck/mx1604a.htm
        Open or download the pdf manual (about half way down the page on the right). Go to section 8.2, Connections, in their manual. It gives you headphones, balanced, unbalanced and xlr diagrahms.

According to their diagram:
        Tip is hot (+ve), Ring is cold (-ve) and sleeve is ground/shield.

On the XLR, pin 1 is ground, 2 is hot, 3 is cold.
        Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

According to their diagram:
          Tip is hot (+ve), Ring is cold (-ve) and sleeve is ground/shield.

On the XLR, pin 1 is ground, 2 is hot, 3 is cold.[/B]
          That's exactly what I need, Thanks Boingo !!!!
          sorry that I said tip/sleeve/ground in stead of tip/ring/sleeve. I must have confused you and Arriguy.
          Thanks again Boingo and you to Arriguy!

------------------

Comment

That's exactly what I need, Thanks Boingo !!!!
            sorry that I said tip/sleeve/ground in stead of tip/ring/sleeve. I must have confused you and Arriguy.
            Thanks again Boingo and you to Arriguy!
            You're welcome. By the way, I bought some nice adaptors from the local Radio Shack which have 1/4" unbal male ends and XLR bal ends for a very reasonable price - $12.00 I think. They were far better than I could make myself. You might want to check out an equivalent store.

Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by Boingo:
              You're welcome. By the way, I bought some nice adaptors from the local Radio Shack which have 1/4" unbal male ends and XLR bal ends for a very reasonable price - $12.00 I think. They were far better than I could make myself. You might want to check out an equivalent store.

I did, but they didn't sell it. So I have to make them myself.

Bye,

Peter

------------------

Comment

I did a good search but I could not find this specific connection.

It has always been my understanding that to be totally safe doing this sort of conversion, you really need a "direct box" which has a balun transformer in it which transforms an "unbalanced" signal from a 1/4" plug to a "balanced" signal that is used with XLR systems. I tried using some cable adapters without the balun and had poor results which were cured when we went to using a direct box (available at Guitar Center and other music stores I'm sure for about $40 as I recall). So, if you hear some bad hum, noise or other socially unacceptable interference, you may want to consider using one.

Good luck...

Ed
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                Drumbalaya! Specializing in electronic drum equipment.
                Ed Morin [ mailto:[email protected] ]
                Phone: 866-881-9313 / 425-881-9313 FAX: 425-881-6000 http://www.drumbalaya.com

Comment

Easy way to remember XLR pins:
                  X = Ground = 1
                  L = Live = 2
                  R = Return = 3
                  Steve

'I only ever quote myself - except when I quote someone else' - me

, plenty of , and , , triggered acoustics, , and a plethora of PA blah blah freakin blah...I mean does anyone care about the specifics of pedals, speakers, processors, hardware or anything that I'm using?? :confused: Hmmm, maybe this is an appropriate place to mention that I tried out a new cymbal stand the other day...

Comment

An appropriate cable or adapter can be purchased from Hosa. Here is a page that shows what you need: http://music123.com/search/globalsea...6548EA1&qso=41

Comment

Working...
                    X