Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

can anyone build a FSR trigger?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can anyone build a FSR trigger?

Everyone talks about trying to add triggers to their V-drums. And no, you can't Y-split two piezo triggers.

But...

I've cracked open a PD-7 pad, and the FSR trigger doesn't look any more complicated than the piezo trigger.

1. Is it possible to build a mono FSR trigger?
    2. Could you then Y-split the mono FSR trigger and a mono piezo trigger into the brain and get your extra trigger that way?

Has anyone tried this? Does anyone know (specifically) where to buy a FSR trigger?

And can anyone explain to me what feefer has in mind for his fix to this problem? I've searched this site and I can't find any explanation for his idea. Something about "holy grailing"?

Mike

[This message has been edited by mike-s (edited November 03, 2001).]

I don't believe it. I can hear the next question now... 5...4...3...2...

Comment

For whatever it's worth,
      I did this and in the end it was a waste of time for me...though it was extremely educational.

I order some sample FSR's on line and found that it is was difficult to connect wires to them. When I finally got a connection working, I wired it to the "ring" part of pd100's stereo connector and plugged it in. Since the rim sounds(FSR) needs a simultaneous piezo signal to work, I taped the FSR on my pd100 head so I could hit pad or fsr to get either sound. At that point I was able to trigger head and rim sounds (after changing the pad type to a dual pad).

It worked but in the end I realized it wasn't going to work for me....

1. If you use positional sensing on your toms then you'll loose it when Y'ing with an FSR. I tryed all pad types and could not get p. sensing with a dual pad.

2. The triggering was not consistant (due to my primative construction most likely). The FSR's were too small.

3. By the time I bought\constructed everything, I'd spent $15 for a crumby pad. I found some dual Yamaha cymbal pads for $30 at GC.

4. FSR sensitivity is a liitle lame compared to a single piezo trigger. You have to hit hard enough to "throw the switch"..not good for ghost notes. OK for Cymbals though.

The best route for me was to pick up a second CHEAP module which allows Note Number assignments and plug some homemade piezo pads and those Yamaha dual pads into it. Then run the midi out of it into my TD10exp.

Just my $.02
      Bill

Comment

First, much thanks to feefer for giving what I consider to be THE definitive answer to this common question. Since so many search for the answer to this one, hopefully they can come here first instead of digging around fruitlessly for days like I did.

But in all, Snills seems to have a pretty functional answer that I had not been aware of. I do have an old TD-5 brain in addition to my TD-8 brain. I never thought to plug in a trigger into the 5 brain and then midi it thru the 8 brain. I guess I'm going to have to dig thru my manual and research note number assignments. Any helpful tips?

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mike-s:
          I do have an old TD-5 brain in addition to my TD-8 brain. I never thought to plug in a trigger into the 5 brain and then midi it thru the 8 brain. I guess I'm going to have to dig thru my manual and research note number assignments. Any helpful tips?
          http://www.vdrums.com/discussion/For...ML/001127.html

Sorry, no can do. Sell the td-5 on ebay and get a td-6. The sell new for around $350.

Comment

D'oh! I just can't win. Oh well. I've managed to get 19 triggers out of my TD-8. The only one I can't get to is the rim trigger of Tom 1. If anyone knows a way to get at that last trigger (on a separate pad) let me know. Otherwise, I give up.

Comment

Working...
            X