Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Pintech Dingbats and Nimrods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pintech Dingbats and Nimrods

I want more. But I dont have much money. So I was surfing around and found something that really caught my eye.
    http://www.rockbottommusic.com/edrums2.htm

I planned on plugging these into my AUX 1 and 2 of my TD-10. Does anyone have any experiance with these. If so tell me how they worked. Or would this even work? And one last thing, how do I physically connect them to my Roland drum rack? Thanks guys.

- Andy
    The best damn kid in the record industry. Maybe.

I used a Yamaha BP80 dual trigger pole pad thinking that I would be able to access both of the AUX 11 or AUX 12 triggers. No such luck. I ended up only being able to utilize the AUX 11 head and AUX 12 head triggers, while the rim triggers were unaccessable. The products you are looking at will also only be able to trigger the head/main. Seems the only way to get to the trigger (besides the holy-grail or shack -adapter - which still baffles me) is to use a Roland dual trigger/FSR par, such as a PD-7/9.

We I got tired of not having access to the unused Aux 11/12 rim triggers, so I got 2 extra PD-7's off of EBay at a great price, and I am now in heaven. 4 great triggers that work right the first time!!!

Long answer, but bottom line, the items you are looking at will work to trigger 1 input, but if you really want to utilize the full potential of the TD-10, hold out for a good deal on a used Roland PD-7 or PD-9.
    Driving a great song is better than driving a great car!!

http://mysite.verizon.net/landin82/

Comment

So using the Yamaha trigger (and triggers like it) i can't access the rim trigger?? Well that sucks. But wait. the yamaha trigger has two pads on it. how did that work out? what came from each pad? i would assume that one would eccess the drum, and the other would access the rim. right?

so what exactly IS the shack adapter? and how does it work. from what i've picked up i can use it to access the head AND rim sounds?! hmmm... Well maybe we can figure something out. Any suggestions. Thanks.

I used a Yamaha BP80 dual trigger pole pad thinking that I would be able to access both of the AUX 11 or AUX 12 triggers. No such luck. I ended up only being able to utilize the AUX 11 head and AUX 12 head triggers, while the rim triggers were unaccessable. The products you are looking at will also only be able to trigger the head/main. Seems the only way to get to the trigger (besides the holy-grail or shack -adapter - which still baffles me) is to use a Roland dual trigger/FSR par, such as a PD-7/9.
      We I got tired of not having access to the unused Aux 11/12 rim triggers, so I got 2 extra PD-7's off of EBay at a great price, and I am now in heaven. 4 great triggers that work right the first time!!!

Long answer, but bottom line, the items you are looking at will work to trigger 1 input, but if you really want to utilize the full potential of the TD-10, hold out for a good deal on a used Roland PD-7 or PD-9.

Comment

sorry, i accedentilly copied your message. haha. but seriously.

Comment

algee, do a search to read up on trigger basics. It's all here. In a nutshell, the dingbats & nimrods are single piezo pads. The Yammie BP-80 is a dual piezo, with a stereo jack. (Works fine in the TD80 Aux-11/12 jack, which handles 2 piezos.)

I gather the Aux 11 and 12 on the TD10 are 'stereo' jacks, which means they can handle a piezo trigger plus an *FSR*, which is NOT the same type of trigger! The PD-7/9 pds have the piezo/fsr combo, as do the Yamaha PCY80S cymbal. The Roland PD120 and PD-80R drum pads do NOT, as they also consist of 2 piezos.

You can learn lots more from a simple search function on the forums... $^)

Comment

Originally posted by Algee:
            I want more. But I dont have much money. So I was surfing around and found something that really caught my eye.
            http://www.rockbottommusic.com/edrums2.htm

I planned on plugging these into my AUX 1 and 2 of my TD-10. Does anyone have any experiance with these. If so tell me how they worked. Or would this even work? And one last thing, how do I physically connect them to my Roland drum rack? Thanks guys.

- Andy
            I've been using a Nimrod as a crash trigger for a while now. Very linear response. You could mount it to your rack using a "T" rack clamp as they are exactly 1-1/2" in diameter. I'm using an LP percussion claw which I clamp on to one of my L rods that the regular pads mount on. So far so good, but I had to crank the crosstalk level up quite high to isolate it from the pad and vice versa.

Oh yeah, I use "PD5" as the trigger type on my TD6.

[This message has been edited by Slash Crazy (edited October 15, 2001).]
            I think, therefore I am....or at least I think I am!

Comment

Would the Aux. inputs work properly if you are using two Nimrods, a Y-adapter, and a stereo cord? They should...
              "I'm not a guitarist, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!"

Comment

bump on the previous post.

i read through the definitive y-cable thread:
                http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthre...hlight=tension

but it didn't touch on these tubular triggers. i assume that you'd still need to wire one to the other to get 2 separate sounds with just one aux connection (thats the gist of the y-cable thread), but perhaps there's an easier process with these? of course roland wants you to buy their dual trigger pads, so they make it easy to connect more with the convenient aux cables, but ONLY if you buy their pads.

4 nimrods would be cool, but i was thinking of going all out and getting 8 nimrods to pepper around my td-20 bk set, if it could be done using just the 4 aux connections (without opening these up/soldering/etc - some additional cables/adapters would be fine, but i don't want to mess with the innards of these tube triggers).

also, has anybody seen/tried one of these?:
                http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...se_pid/701404/

its pricey ($120 vs. the $30 nimrod), but not unreasonable if it works like a dual zone roland pad. it has a stereo output already (supposed to come with a stereo cable as well), which may fix the rim/head triggering conundrum when using non-roland triggers.

- d

Comment

eh, on searching deeper into the forums i'm finding that the bp80 isn't such a hot item with the roland set.

still interested in the nimrods though...

Comment

Hola Muchacho..... just wondering... since you can pick up Roland PD-8's or CY-8's, both dual zone...... for bout $80 new.... why bother with the nimrods.... ? Jman
                    I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
                    Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

i guess mostly because of the size of the nimrods (6 inch tube, 4 inch pad). i haven't seen them in person, nor have i seen pictures of them being used on a kit, but i like the idea of having an array of tiny tubular pads here and there around the kit, rather than more large round pads or cymbals. there's also less chance of hitting the "rim" when you intend to hit the "head" like on a roland pad, however that is more of a playing technique issue than a hardware issue. and from what i've read, there seems to be some fidgeting with crosstalk settings while using these nimrods so they don't fire accidentally.

the roland pd-8s are a good value ($85 at musicians buy), and i suppose in the end 4 of these may actually take up less space and be less of a hassle than 8 of the nimrods w/ mounting hardware. do you know the diameter of the pd-8s (would it be, perhaps, 8 inches)? also, do you know if the pd-8s come with any hardware when you buy them individually? i've got the td-20 bk set - what would be a good way to mount 4 pd-8s (and what added stuff would i need)?

- d

Comment

i see there's also a dual-trigger pd-7 (a little smaller ). is this any different than the pd-8 besides the diameter? it looks like the crank on it is on the side rather than the end of the mounting plate, but it seems identical function-wise. for some reason its about $130 while the pd-8 is only $85.

- d

Comment

whoah, jman...

i just stopped by your site and looked at the pics of your drum rig. i guess you aren't the person i should be whining to about not wanting any more large pads/cymbals around my set!

that looks pretty amazing, hope you've got that insured.

- d

Comment

Hey muchacho... The PD-8 will do what the PD-7 will do for a Roland module... PD-7 is 1" smaller.... The main reason the PD-8 is cheaper is that Roland just came out with it at a very competetive price..... same with the CY-8...
                            You can still pick the PD-7's up used on eBay for $75 or less... but for the same price... PD-8 new..... Jman

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...770934957&rd=1
                            http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...770029783&rd=1
                            I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
                            Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

Working...
                            X