Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Sampler question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sampler question

Hello.
    Are there any downsides to using a sampler with a TD10 via midi?? Dynamics,tracking,etc.
    I'm aware of posistional sensing loss.
    Thanks for any input.

The tracking and dynamics will behave according MIDI standards. If you're satisfied with that then it's okay.

For positional sensing the TD-10 can send out MIDI (cc) codes as well (I learned). But you need the posibility of storing different sounds with different numbers into your sampler. I think most samplers will do the job...
    Robert

Comment

I doubt whether positional sensing will work properly. The V-drums sends out a CC before it sends a midi note on commando. Dunno how a sampler would react to that.

There will probably a little bit of extra latency/delay too.
      Music was my first love...

Comment

I'm using an MPC2000 and I don't have any latency issues. I'm not using drum sounds (yet), just effects and so forth for now, but I don't notice any timing problems (yet).

My 2 cents...

I love my sampler.

I've had it for a while, and just now I'm beginning to really explore using it, and I think everyone should have one.

However, unless you need sequencing, don't get the one I have, it's too expensive and a little hard to use.

BINARY

Comment

WARNING- Gigasampler PIMP!

For those PC/Vdrums owners looking to add a bit of sonic potential, Terratec are bundling Gigasampler LE with the EWX24/96 soundcard. The soundcard's got digital and analogue I/O, comes with GSIF low-latency drivers, and best of all it cost me 120 for the card. (Gigasampler LE on it's own is 100).

So if you've got a spare PCI slot and a half decent PC (Pentium 400 or above), this is a pretty good deal. $15 then buys you a Sonicimplants multisampled kit.

Gigasampler does work with most other Directsound soundcards too if you don't want to do the hardware thing.

Comment

Originally posted by BINARY:
            I'm using an MPC2000 and I don't have any latency issues. I'm not using drum sounds (yet), just effects and so forth for now, but I don't notice any timing problems (yet).

My 2 cents...

I love my sampler.

I've had it for a while, and just now I'm beginning to really explore using it, and I think everyone should have one.

However, unless you need sequencing, don't get the one I have, it's too expensive and a little hard to use.

BINARY
            Sup Binary!? Hey, I'm thinking about buying an MPC2000. Have you been using that with drum sounds yet? Curious how it handles the midi information sent from the hi hat controller. Does that get wierd at all? Can you set it up to actually work like the TD-10? Actually I will be using it with a TD-6. Damn, whish the MPC wasnt so damn expensive. I want to buy the one with the 8 outputs so I can use it with my mixer.
            Roland V-Club with KD-120. Apple G4 500 x 256 megs ram using Cubase VST 5.1 Native Instruments Battery, Absynth, Korg Electribe EA-1 and Propellerhead Reason.

Comment

I used to have an Akai MPC-2000 to. When I got my ddrum stuff, I tried recording the drums via midi. The MPC has a sequencer resolution of 96 points per quart note, this is very low. The ddrum hihat generates very much controller data, much more than could be recorded with 96ppq, which resulted in very bad timing, some notes were even delayed for half a note or something.
              That sucks.

------------------
              http://mpcman.flappie.nl
              Music was my first love...

Comment

Thanks MPCman. So basically you only had problems with the hi hat controller on the ddrum working with the MPC2000. The rest of the pads owrked fine I assume. I wonder if the Roland brains have the same problem. Binary?

[This message has been edited by juggernaut (edited October 31, 2001).]
                Roland V-Club with KD-120. Apple G4 500 x 256 megs ram using Cubase VST 5.1 Native Instruments Battery, Absynth, Korg Electribe EA-1 and Propellerhead Reason.

Comment

Working...
                X