Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

CY-6 as HH?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CY-6 as HH?

I thought I read in one of these threads that someone is using a CY-6 for their HH pad? If so, how well does it work, especially compared to the PD-7?. I would want to do this if it works out well instead of spending so much for the CY-12H which although I thought it was some improvement when I tried it at a store I didn't feel it was worth the money. Also is there any tweaking that needs to be done to make it work well as a HH pad. I more than likely get some for replacing my PD-9's as cymbals but I might start out with getting one for the HH first. Any input?

Brian Kidd

have you talked to roland about those triggering issues? my cy-12h is pretty much perfect - it triggers perhaps the best of my three v-cymbals (cy-12, cy-14 and cy-15). i upped the sensitivity on mine but left all other settings the same.

Comment

Hey! Thats my set!! The set you see in this posting is my set. I like the cy-6 much better then the cy-12h. I like my HH to have a little movement when I hit it. As far as holding up to the abuse that a HH takes, I have not had any problems. I have it sitting on a standard V-Pro cymbal stand. I have the stand mounted to the lower bar on my left side. For me this works great. I can put the HH where I want it.

Originally posted by Harlock:
      Someone is using the CY-6 as a HH, but I don't know where I got this picture from

Probably nice to use it as a HH, but it is not a very sturdy piece of equipment, don't know how it would stand the miles used as a HH...

As for the CY-12H, well... It's an intriguing piece of equipment. The way it is designed, it looks as though they started out thinking about that product as a combined FD(controler) + HH pad integrated into one, and mountable on a standard stand. But only ended up being just a pad with a big underside mounting piece + metal cache on top... For my part, I'm having tremendous difficulties making it trigger properly. It doesn't pick up all the lightest strokes, and sometimes double triggers, crosstalking itself. I have it on a separate stand, as crosstalk was impossible to resolve with it, but the feel of it is really better than any other Roland rubber pad, used as a HH...

V-Pro w/ Roland Cymbals (CY14C,CY15R,CY6), BBE 462, Mackie 1202-VLZ

Comment

Originally posted by Harlock:
        I'm having tremendous difficulties making it trigger properly. It doesn't pick up all the lightest strokes
        Ah, so I am not the only one! I notice you have a TD-8 as well -- I had a feeling it was a compatibility problem. I have played the CY-12 on more than one v-session with no problems, but I just could not get the damn thing to trigger properly with my TD-8 (when playing doubles).
        Roland TD-20 v1.08, various v-drums and v-cymbals, Yamaha KP65's, Axis pedals, Gibraltar hardware, Mackie 1202/SRM450 (pre-china)

Comment

Originally posted by ufotofu:
          Ah, so I am not the only one! ...I just could not get the damn thing to trigger properly with my TD-8 (when playing doubles).
          ...So he unloaded the piece of sh1t on unsuspecting me!

Originally posted by ufotofu:
          ...I have played the CY-12 on more than one v-session with no problems
          As have I. In fact, now I'm playing more than one CY-12 on a V-Session. The fact that they don't give at all takes substantial getting used to, but the triggering is fantabulous on a TD-10exp.

I'm sure you know, ufotofu, that I was just joking above. The second CY-12 is installed on the kit and I've been playing with it today. Just great! Thanks, bro.

Comment

Cool, at first I didn't notice the Cymbal arm that it was attached to and I was wondering how to mount it because when I went to take a look at one at my local GC I noticed the little adapter that you mount on the end of the cymbal arm that the cymbal sits over thus keeping it from spinning. It looked like the adapter wouldn't fit on the current "L" bracket that my PD-7 is mounted too because it looked a little bigger in diameter that what the hole in the adapter would fit in. I really like your idea mounting it on a cymbal stand that way you can probably adjust it to other locations a little better. Thanks for the replies.

Brian Kidd

Comment

Originally posted by dr. kildrum:
              The second CY-12 is installed on the kit and I've been playing with it today. Just great!
              Glad to see that you are happy with it.

Now I just need to find a nice trusty PD-9 to replace my PD-7 hat...
              Roland TD-20 v1.08, various v-drums and v-cymbals, Yamaha KP65's, Axis pedals, Gibraltar hardware, Mackie 1202/SRM450 (pre-china)

Comment

FWIW I use a CY-6 as a HiHat and I don't think it's that great. It doesn't have a great response so when I do doubles I can't use the bounce as much as I can on other pads. It was really designed to be hit only once, not continuously.

Having said that, it is easier on your hands than a PD pad. That's why I use it.

As for tweaking: I upped the sensitivity a lot and reduced the threshold (can't remember the name - the one that sets the minimum hit required to trigger it) since the recommended settings are for big crash hits. That's about it but I'm one of those people who can't be arsed messing around with settings too much. Finer tuning might make it better although I haven't had a problem with mistriggers or crosstalk or anything. I have it mounted the same way as drumbeat8u.

Comment

Kit with two CY-12Hs--the one on the right plays only closed and "mostly" closed sounds.

Comment

So it sounds like I have 1 vote for yes it works great and 1 vote for it doesn't work all that great. I'm still thinking about at least trying it for a bit because if it doesn't work out then I could just use it as a replacement for one of the PD-9's. I want to eventually start replacing them all with them anyway.

Brian

Comment

Working...
                    X