Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST GENERAL E-DRUMMING OR GENERAL PRODUCT QUESTIONS!
See more
See less

Problem with TD9, ezDrummer & Simmons DA 200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with TD9, ezDrummer & Simmons DA 200

Hi there,

since last weekend i'm using ezdrummer, triggered by my TD9 with a Saffire 6 USB Audio Interface in Ableton Live

It works fine when im using the headphone-out at the saffire, but i haven't found a way to connect the stuff with my Simmons DA 200. All i get from it is loud buzzing and crackling, with some very low drum-sounds if i hit really hard.

So, can someone please tell me how to correctly connect all this stuff?

I am confused at this pont

Thanks a lot in advance and sry for my bad english, im not a native speaker

Welcome to the forum

Please describe your setup in more detail, including exactly what type of cable and connector you are using for each connection. ie between td9 and interface, between interface and computer, between interface and amp, or however you have it set up....
    TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
    ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
    not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

Well, TD9 to Saffire 6 with a Midi-Cable, Saffire to Laptop with USB

The Simmons got the Drum-Ins and an Aux for Jack Plugs (6,5 mm), also a 3,5 mm Line-In

The connection to the Simmons is what does not work up to now, i tried all the Inputs without success

Comment

Using two 1/4 inch mono (TS) cables from far right outputs 1 and 2 on the back of the Saffire to the two front left drum inputs 1 and 2 on the Simmons?

If you only have stereo (TRS) cables, try a single cable from the Saffire headphones output to the Simmons AUX input.

(The Saffire outputs are balanced and the Simmons drum inputs are not, so that may be an issue with TRS cables.)

Bruce
        Last edited by BarT; 05-07-12, 03:53 PM.

Comment

I'm feeling quite stupid now, but anyway.....
          Using both available outputs simultaneously did the trick. Now it works, besides of a low noise floor from the amp.
          Strange thing, before using the saffire i connected the laptop via its own headphone-out to the amp, and i feel it was louder and clearer.

Maybe i can fix that in future, but i cant try it out now.

Thank you for your quick help!

Comment

I suppose they don't mark outputs 1 and 2 as Left and Right on the back of the Saffire because they can be configured as two separate mono outputs in Ableton Live.

But you should probably check that the Output Config under Channel Configuration in Ableton Live Preferences is set to "1/2 (stereo)" as that's best for the Simmons.

Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by BarT View Post
              Using two 1/4 inch mono (TS) cables from far right outputs 1 and 2 on the back of the Saffire to the two front left drum inputs 1 and 2 on the Simmons?

If you only have stereo (TRS) cables, try a single cable from the Saffire headphones output to the Simmons AUX input.

(The Saffire outputs are balanced and the Simmons drum inputs are not, so that may be an issue with TRS cables.)

Bruce
              Hi Bruce,

I'm currently looking for an audio interface, so I've been doing some research and found this thread while trying to figure out how to connect one to my DA200S. I have a couple of questions regarding your reply here, so I was hoping you'll be so kind as to help me better understand all this.

If I'm not mistaken, the outputs from the Saffire are line-level outputs (+4 dBu). Wouldn't it be an issue to connect them to the drum inputs, since these inputs have pre-amps? According to the manual, all inputs in the Simmons are 10kΩ; however, input levels are -16, -20 and -10 dBV for Drum, Aux and Line inputs respectively. Wouldn't that be a problem?

As for the headphones output, wouldn't connecting it to the line in of the amp result in poor audio quality? I thought the general rule was to only connect line outs to line ins and leave headphone outs for headphones...

I'd appreciate any guidance or clarification, since I believe I've now read more stuff in one night than my brain is willing to process.

Thanks in advance,
              Gerardo G.
              Roland TD-4 KX : TD-4 Module, 2 PDX-8, 2 PDX-6, CY-5 w/ FD-8, 2 CY-8, KD-8 w/ DW3000, Vic Firth AC 2B | Simmons DA200S | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro

Comment

Working...
              X