Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

the state of wireless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the state of wireless

searching through the archives, i saw that about a year ago someone was talking about creating a wireless musician's interface for the v-drums.

i know i'm probably in dreamland but i was wondering if anyone has any news on the state of wireless: has anyone seen any bluetooth or related technology that could be applied to v-drums? i had to take apart my set-up to build a drum platform (downstairs neighbors) and man would i love not to have to cable it up again.

I looked into a "midi wireless" unit for my Zendrum, which I plug into my TD-8. There were some models made in the mid '90's for the accordian, but they're no longer available according to David at Zendrum.

Comment

I could see fiberoptics coming out before wireless. I have never been a huge fan of anything wireless due to interferance and other issues. With fiberoptics getting cheaper and cheaper, I could see having one fiber connection that has essentially 20 channels of SPDIF in it, and you can run that one cable to a mixer or recorder. No noise, no intererance, and no D/A conversion.
      The only problem is that Roland would probably make it proprietary where you would need a Roland module, and Roland cable, and a Roland mixer or Roland recorder.

Comment

Originally posted by WRET AUDIO:
        I could see fiberoptics coming out before wireless. I have never been a huge fan of anything wireless due to interferance and other issues. With fiberoptics getting cheaper and cheaper, I could see having one fiber connection that has essentially 20 channels of SPDIF in it, and you can run that one cable to a mixer or recorder. No noise, no intererance, and no D/A conversion.
        The only problem is that Roland would probably make it proprietary where you would need a Roland module, and Roland cable, and a Roland mixer or Roland recorder.
        ...and you still have wires, albeit fiber optic. The main issue I see with wireless is powering the transmitters on each head. Not worth the trouble. Making a decent wiring harness is easy enough with the cables on the V's. My harness is a single piece, and let's me wire the set in about 30 seconds. It takes more time to set up my rack.

Total set up time for my kit is about 15 minutes. Wiring is one of the smallest elements.

- Hans
        - Hans

Comment

Working...
        X