Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Any way to set Hihats closed on TD-10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any way to set Hihats closed on TD-10

Does anyone know of a quick way to set the HH on the TD-1- to stay closed so you can use a double bass pedal? I guess it would be possible to chain sets with a trigger pad but would be nice if there was a quick and easy way. Roland should have built it into the pedal.
    TD-10xp
    Hart Acupads & Cymbals
    (Gigapro Set)

I don't know if this is any easier than chaining kits but it works. First make a one measure sequencer pattern with just the hi-hat RIM closed sound quantized to the first beat of the pattern. Next set up the pattern to be a Tap pattern. Now change the main hi-hat sound to instrument # 600 which is off. Assign the pattern that you created to the hi-hat pad. Now every time you hit the pad you are playing the closed hi-hat tap pattern. For the open hi-hat sound hit the rim of the hi-hat pad,you can still use the hi-hat foot pedal to open and close the rim hi-hat sound. You may have to play with the patterns reset time and tempo to eliminate any lag you may get.

Comment

Isn't it amazing how difficult it is to do something that should be so easy! Come on, Roland!

Comment

Im not a pro drummer,,, just a hobby since I was a child many years ago... I'm not even an electonics wizard but this should have been pretty basic stuff for a $1200 TD-10 brain. You wonder if they ever talk to users before they make this stuff....
        ROLAND... closed hi hats on the expansion board PLEASE!
        TD-10xp
        Hart Acupads & Cymbals
        (Gigapro Set)

Comment

You can connect a simple remote switch as used on guitar amps to the hihat-control jack. The switch has to close on first hit and open again on second hit.
          If you also want to use your roland controler pedal you have to build yourself a parallel connection for both.
          I hope this might help you!

Comment

There is a workaround for setting the hat to closed by default - keep your foot firmly to the floor on the hh pedal while turning the TD-10 on. The hat will now default to "closed".

Comment

Xenon - please!

Have you *ever* done the procedure you suggest with the TD-10? Me thinks not.

This procedure does not work with the TD-10!

Comment

This solution was mentioned before here (you can try the search function).
                Release the nut in the FD-7, press the pedal firmly and adjust the nut again. Now the pedal is in *close* position.

And turning on the TD-10 with the FD-7 pressed didn't work for me. On the contrary, every time I tried the hh remained open.

[This message has been edited by boismenu (edited 08-28-99).]

Comment

More Roland-Bashing?

Come on, have you ever known an acoustic hihat to close when switching to double-bass? DERRRR! Roland did it right! Apparently, some of you out there are trying to save some bucks or some floorspace or both by using the hihat pedal for the second BD. Right? Can't do it w/ an acoustic set can you? Still, I suppose they have to think of everything, huh?

Foot switch as already suggested looks like the best and cheapest way until an upgrade comes along.

Carry on,
                  -Marc.

[This message has been edited by Marc. (edited January 20, 2000).]

Comment

> More Roland-Bashing?

Oh puhleeeeze!

> Roland did it right!

Me thinks not.

Roland *acknowledges* it as a shortcoming that they missed.

What acoustic kit can you *not* add a permanently closed HH on the right and a full function HH on the left? I actually use licks that combine closed and open HH sounds simultaneously - on my acoustic kit. There is no way to do this on the TD-10. Period!

It is not that the HH does not automatically close when you switch to double bass, but that you can only have one flavor. If you assign a HH sound, any HH sound or multiple HH sounds to multiple pads on the kit, they all follow the HH controller.

My over-ten-year-old synth has a closed HH I can trigger at the exact same time as a partially open HH and a fully open HH.

> Apparently, some of you out there are trying to save some bucks
                    > or some floorspace or both by using the hihat pedal for
                    > the second BD. Right?

Wrong. That is completely ludicrous. Before you start slinging accusations of Roland bashing, be decent enough to at least have some knowledge of the problems being discussed.

And, just FYI, there are instant release/set clutches for acoustic HiHats.

[This message has been edited by Lee (edited January 20, 2000).]

Comment

Rolands FD-7 is a pain to close on the fly. For those of us who use DB, it is really a pain because you are forced to have the HH closed all the time. I like it closed and open, but I want the transition to be quick and easy.

My solution was to bite the bullet and buy another PD-5 pad. So for my HH I have PD-7 that is open and the PD-5 that is always closed. This way you can transition between them easily.

Comment

Just when I thought I was going to have to put the smack down on someone else....Well stated Lee. Once again bringing joy to my day.
                        I'm thinking there's got to be a way to solve this. I don't know what it is, but I'm definately going to look into it. I'm far from an electronics expert, but there's switches for everything. I don't know exactly what signal the HH controller is sending to the TD-10, but there's GOT to be some way of altering that.
                        I'm determined.

BINARY
                        [email protected]

Comment

Lee wrote :
                          Before you start slinging accusations of Roland bashing, be decent enough to at least have some knowledge of the problems being discussed.

You are correct in that I need to learn more but on the other matter you are dead wrong my friend. I can distinguish between helpful criticism and outright bashing. And I have seen BOTH on this site. Do not deny it. I call 'em as I see 'em, nothing personal. As for BINARY's remark ... BINARY? You wanna step outside?

Thnx you two, I needed that and the great additional info. you're providing on this issue. I'm just green at this and will study more and prepare my queries more rationally.
                          Perhaps someone can suggest some primers or decent reading material so I can get up to speed? My first inclination is to get some sort of midi glossary or dictionary. Also, I am tempted to print out every thread on this site and study these. Yes? No? Note to Lee : I can't wait to get into that TD-10. As per your suggestion on the other thread, I really plan to have some fun with this machine.

-Marc.

p.s. I think escher has a good work-around.
                          Anyone see problems with it?

[This message has been edited by Marc. (edited January 25, 2000).]

Comment

> As for BINARY's remark ...
                            > BINARY? You wanna step outside?

Watch out, Marc., I gotta warn ya:
                            Binary and I work as a tag team!

> p.s. I think escher has a good work-around.
                            > Anyone see problems with it?

Yeah - there is no decent sound available in the TD-10 for a permanently-closed HH sound other than keeping the FD-7 closed! To shorten the decay of an open HH sound to get it to sound closed just does not work.

Comment

You guys just relax and save your money.
                              Double bass is important to NOONE as much as it is to me, so just give me a little time to weed out the details, and hopefully we'll all be happy in the end.

Nothing worse than "Mark" spelled with a "c".
                              Step outside? Please.
                              I'm here to exchange information, you're accusing people of trying to save money by using the FD-7 as a bass drum, as if that's even possible. Here's the process...

Think.
                              Learn.
                              Post.

Try not to skip any steps.

BINARY
                              [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                              X