Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

used TD-8 what to look for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• used TD-8 what to look for?

I'm buying a used set of TD-8's tomorrow. What should I look for in determining it's condition? (1 year old, used by a professional)
    A reply tonight would be most timely!

Are you going to be at the place of purchase? If yes, try to find out if you can play. Make sure the unit(s) (you are getting two of them, right?) are not hot to the touch, so plug them in and shoot the sh*t with the owner while the module(s) warm up. If the module(s) are not set up with pads, bring your own pad (if you have) and try all triggers, and/or at least bring headphones and try the triggers through the preview button for trigger(s) velocity. Lift up the module(s) and shake them a bit (lightly, you do not want to piss of the owner) and listen for any lose parts rattling. As far as MIDI goes..... well that might be pushing it, but if you have the time and the owner does not mind - go for it.

Make sure all buttons work to navigate you through the module’s features/perimeters. Plug your headphones in the module(s) while you tweaking the knobs, faders and buttons to insure the module(s) are not noisy. If you hear noise check if the gear is grounded, if the owner is a pro he or she will have the equipment grounded for sure.

Find out from Roland if they provide extended coverage for their modules after a year of ownership, just in case.

Otherwise if the module(s) are in good condition, sound good and the owner is a stand up person, you should be ok.

Good luck.

PS: If you are not buying the module(s) in person, disregard the above statement.

------------------
    szvook
    Studio

Comment

Originally posted by szvook:
      ...Make sure the unit(s) (you are getting two of them, right...
      I've found that several newcomers refer to "a set of V-drums" by using the module name in place of the more generic drum name.

So, if this is the case here, a TD-8 is a Roland module (as is a TD-5, a TD-6, a TD-7, a TD-10 and the new TD-12 ). A set of them would be presumably two or more modules/brains. If that is what you meant, disregard all of this. If you meant, a set of V-drums that use a TD-8 module, just wanted to shed some light on the terminology and what szvook was saying in his reply. He assumed you meant exactly what you said, a pair of modules. (Maybe you did?)

Comment

I see I will be learning these new distinctions in V-drum lingo very quickly. I'm buying a complete V-Custom Kit and not just the module. Thanks szvook, I certainly learned something about what to look for regarding the module. How about the rest of the kit? V-pads, Hi-Hat Contoller, etc?

Comment

Well in this case playing the kit is the only way to go.

The triggers have to work right with the pads. You have to see if the pads trigger right at proper velocity, volume per kit and sounds. Make sure the tension on the mesh heads woks ok, meaning you can tighten the head and feel the difference while playing. The tension should sustain it self and not loosen up while you are playing. Check for positional sensing. Try to work within the V-edit area to make sure the pads correspond with what you are tweaking. Same goes for the hat pedal, you have to play it and check its perimeters while playing.

All of this might be a bit tricky, the owner would have to let you try various perimeters on an empty kit or let you tweak a kit without worrying about the setting for the sounds. Unless you set everything back to the way it was on the kit.

Make sure the pads are in good physical condition, if not.... well that one is up to you. A few of my friends bought V sets (with pads banged up a bit from live playing) for a lot less. The pads worked like new, they just had some scratches, but nothing else seemed wrong. My friends had to have the drums for up coming projects and time was of the essence – long story short, they still have the pads and they work great.

If all of this is too much, I apologize, but if you have the time and you can go at it and test as much as you can – then do it, it will pay off in the end.

------------------
          szvook
          Studio

Comment

Working...
          X