Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

will a noisegate solve my problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• will a noisegate solve my problem?

I find that when I have by v-drums set-up at home through JBLs that I pick up the switching on and off of the fridge, dishwasher etc.
    I am concerned that this may do damage in the long term to the speakers so was thinking of getting a noise gate, specifically a behringer intelligate xr2000 which they describe as a expander/gate/ducker.

I am right in thinking that this will solve the problem?

Are there any other options?

Ground your gear first.

------------------
    szvook
    Studio

Comment

To spare speakers, you want a Compressor/Limiter.
      Drumkat Turbo 4.5, Emulator X3, Superior 2.1, Roland Fantom XR, DTXtreme III, SPD-20 etc.......

Comment

Originally posted by jrcel:
        To spare speakers, you want a Compressor/Limiter.

True that!

------------------
        szvook
        Studio

Comment

You should get an uninteruptable power supply with line conditioning.

BINARY

Comment

Originally posted by BINARY:
            What is a "an uninteruptable power supply with line conditioning"?

System seems to be grounded quite well, but I am not sure how you would ground JBL G2s as they are in a plastic box, and earth in mains lead is OK.

So my option seems to be a Compressor/Limiter

Comment

Originally posted by BINARY:
              What is "an uninterruptible power supply with line conditioning"?

Have grounded gear, but grounding JBL G2's when they are in a plastic box is difficult. All I could do was to check that the mains earth was OK.

Looks like I am going for a compressor/limiter

Comment

Originally posted by Daveb:
                What is "an uninterruptible power supply with line conditioning"?
                Try a search for "Furman". A power conditioner sounds fancy but is a relatively simple (but big) step up from a surge protecter. Good ones will display voltage and regulate it to an extent, clamping down on spikes before they can damage your equipment. The better ones also usually help to eliminate RFI noise. A compressor/limiter will help you to ignore your problem, and not amplify certain noise below a designated threshold. A power conditioner (and good grounding) will help eliminate the problem(s), thereby minimizing long term exposure/risk to your gear. A good compressor/limiter is a must, but IMO you should have a good power conditioner (usually they have about eight plugs) for all equipment. If you have wall warts, you should get accommodation for them too.

That reminds me, I saw feefer mentioning the noise from the TD-10 power supply due to the absence of a wall wart like the TD-6/8s in another thread recently. It kinda relates to this topic. I hadn't thought about moving it, which I agree not just anyone should attempt, but good recommendation nonetheless, if you are capable, or can have it professionally externalized. I will likely have it done. Thanks, feefer. I hadn't thought of that.

Comment

Hi Everyone,

As an "audiophile", i am familiar with power problems. If you truly want clean power, first have large appliance(s) on one side of the electrical fuse box. Your audio gear should be on the other side and near the top or topmost fuses. Furthermore, the suggestion of using a Furman Sound unit is excellent. i personally use their balanced power unit (IT-1220) and they have just announced a new version of their balanced power units that are said to be more effective at reducing EMI/RFI.

Another harmful device to achieving clean power delivery is dimmer switches and lack of a clean ground. The later is a necessity and you may want to have an electrician run dedicated power and ground circuit to your sound room if you are truly interested in the cleanest power/ground (cost about $200-300). As for dimmer switches, do not use them when playing/recording.

There's more, but in the end the "audioPHOOL" in me is just trying to help and to NOT sound, well, overly geeky or like some lame "know it all". Just trying to help.

Enjoy the music,

Steven R. Rochlin http://www.EnjoyTheMusic.com

PS: the constant BACKGROUND hiss many of us get with our Roland systems CAN be reduced by using a noise gate. While i have not tried this, my guess would be to REMOVE the power supply from the Roland brain and move them to an outboard shielded box. Shield the umbilical wires that then go from the outboard power supply to the main brain unit. Again, i have not tried this, though it makes sense to do it to further reduce the chance of electrical noise from adversely effecting the sound quality of the audio output.
                  Enjoy the music,

Steven R. Rochlin
                  http://www.EnjoyTheMusic.com

Comment

From those of us that don't have the luxury of designating where our appliances and V-drums sit in regards to the fuse box...

A UPS drive is basically a big battery that gets charged from the AC current running from the wall and converts it to DC current to charge the battery.
                    On the other end, it converts the DC current back into AC current to run whatever you have plugged into it.

This is done so that in the case of power outage, you have time to shut off your critical items rather than have the power outage do it for you (which is bad).

A splendid side effect of these units is that during the conversion, the power leaving the UPS is maintained at a constant rate, rather than having your refridgerator turn on and send a blast of unwanted surge through your equipment.

Buying a device to limit the sound that comes out of your speakers might solve the hassle of listening to your speakers squak, but won't solve the original and more important problem of having widely fluctuating electrical currents hitting your equipment.

You can buy devices that have a sole purpose of power conditioners http://www.apstech.com/prod/item.cfm?cat=30&item=1139 , as well as traditional UPS drives http://www.apstech.com/prod/index.cfm?cat=30#Pro .

BINARY

Comment

Thanks, this is all useful information.

Today I ordered a Line-R 600VA Line Conditioner
                      And I will follow this up within the next few months by upgrading by outboard stuff with compressor/limiter.

Cheer

Comment

Working...
                      X