Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

What Hi-Hats do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Hi-Hats do you use?

I have considered several hi-hat configurations. I started out with an old PD-5 but it was too noisy. I used a Yamaha PCY-60 for a while which worked pretty good. I am currently using a PD-7 but I don't really like it. It is fairly quiet with good stick action, but it is too small a target. I have Pintech TC cymbals and thought about using the Pintech hi-hats but I am not sure how to mount hi-hats on a cymbal boom arm. What do you guys use?

------------------
    TD-8, TD-7, Roland rack, Pintech AX14, ConcertCast and Roland PD-9/7/5 pads, Yamaha and Pintech cymbals, Dingbat, Nimrod, Vertikik & KD-7, FD-7 , DrumKat DK-10, Fender Bassman 60.......2000 Eclipse GS
    I'm a drummer. I don't play the timpani! Hire a percussionist!!!

roland CY-12H. i love it!

Comment

CY-6 on a boom mount. Works fer me!

Comment

I have the same problem as you. I keep changing. I was using a pd-7, but I now switched it out for a pd-9 for size. I am very happy with it, but still want to try the new V-hats.
        :rolleyes:

Comment

Originally posted by HolShot:
          Do you have a picture of this set up??? Also, how does the rim come into play with teh cy-6 as a hi-hat?? I have 3 cy-6's all as crashes.
          :rolleyes:

Comment

CY-12H on the left, pd-7 on the right.

------------------
            Drooling Dog
            - Scott

Comment

I prefer the Hart metal Ecymbal II hi-hat.

For home and/or low volume use it might be to loud for some as far as stick noise - but for studio and/or higher volumes, live and recording applications I canít find a better feeling/responsive hi-hat. Plus itís 12 inches for a target.

------------------
              szvook
              Studio

Comment

I agree with szvook. I too, have a Hart ecymbal II high hat. It has excellent stick response, and it looks like a real cymbal. It is loud though. I use mine at home, and I can't play late at night with it. So, I am currently working on ways to make it more quiet, or get a quieter pad for late night drumming. I will always use it for everything else, though.

Comment

......choking on the prospect of spending $250 for one hh cymbal.....

------------------
                  TD-8, TD-7, Roland rack, Pintech AX14, ConcertCast and Roland PD-9/7/5 pads, Yamaha and Pintech cymbals, Dingbat, Nimrod, Vertikik & KD-7, FD-7 , DrumKat DK-10, Fender Bassman 60.......2000 Eclipse GS

Comment

...choking on the prospect of spending $250 for one hh cymbal...
                    Sounds like you've spent that much already on various alternatives so I can see your point. If you haven't tried a CY-12H yet (at length) do. Then you can better decided if its worth it to you. I preferred it over the others when I bought. I like it even more with time.

Comment

Originally posted by clymore:
                      ......choking on the prospect of spending $250 for one hh cymbal.....
                      I completely understand where you're coming from. The roland V-Cymbals are very expensive. That's why I only bought the Hi-hat. I went with Hart and Visu-lite for the others. So far I've been very please with my decision.

------------------
                      Drooling Dog
                      - Scott

Comment

Am I the only one here using Pintech cymbals? I have a 14" and a 16" crash and a 18" ride. They are not chokable but they look like real cymbals. They are very responsive and fairly ridgid so they feel pretty close to real. They have a rubber pad to keep down the stick noise. They are fairly inexpensive and would be perfect for home practice and gigs. I am thinking of trying the 12" for a hi-hat. I will clamp it down tight on a cymbal boom arm so it will not flop around when I play it.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by HolShot:
                          Do you wing nut it down tight with extra washers so it doesn't wobble or play it loose?

------------------

Comment

I like the Pintech cymbals, but how the hell do you keep them from spinning. I have to move them at least twice during each song. Anyone use the Visu-lite China cymbal?

Comment

Originally posted by AkristaK:
                              Anyone use the Visu-lite China cymbal?
                              Yup. Here's my rundown:<ul>[*]1 Roland V-Cymbals Hi-Hat (CY-12H)</li>[*]1 Translucent Gold Visu-lite China Type (1800C)</li>[*]1 Hart Dynamics Ecymbals II Ride (ECII 16R)</li>[*]2 Hart Dynamics Ecymbals II Crashes (12Ē & 14Ē / ECII 12C & ECII 14C)</li>[/list]Within the next 48 hours I'll have to more Hart crashes.

------------------
                              Drooling Dog
                              - Scott

Comment

Working...
                              X