Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

SPD-30 Main Output REALLY Low...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SPD-30 Main Output REALLY Low...

I just got in my Roland SPD-30, I knew it was going to have this issue when I got it, I got it for a killer price so I figured I can fix it for cheap. Here's the exact issue:

The main outputs are REALLY low. Probably about 1/4 of what they should be, or relative to the "Phones" output. So lets say I have the master all the way up to max, it's the same volume as the headphones output at 1/4 (25%) volume.

The master knob works fine and no scratching via the speakers or looseness, so where else is there to look? Is this a known issue or anything like that that just a software update will fix? I've done a factory reset but that didn't fix the issue.

Would replacing the physical 1/4" output connectors for the master outs do this or is it something more in depth on the acutal board inside or in the circuitry?

Worst case lets say I have to send in to Roland to fix, any idea on general cost to fix something like this?

Thanks!

.Adam
    Check out my NEW eBay Store: V-Drum Emporium!

Any idea what mount was used for it, and if the original screws are still on the bottom?

* Use only the screws that are on the bottom panel. Using any other screws will cause malfunctions. (SPD-30 manual, Page 69)

Bruce

Comment

The screws are still on the bottom, they're the original screws, and they don't look like they were ever even touched. Not a single scratch/nick on the bottom by or near the screws or where a mount would go.

Comment

Unlikely culprit then. It was just a thought which could have explained an early-life fault, and I would have thought most people who used an SPD-30 would want to stick it on top of something (although I guess it could get used on a studio tabletop without a mount).

Bruce
        Last edited by BarT; 10-15-10, 01:23 PM. Reason: (not TD-30!)

Comment

Yeah I'm not too concerned about it, I got it for a really good price so will either just use the Headphones output or go up more on the faders on the mixer. =P

Comment

I procured an spd-30 a few weeks back and found that with 1/4' TRS jacks, if they were plugged in fully the sound level was very low. Once they were pulled out a little they were fine. Whether it's different using TS jacks, I don't know because I'm pretty lazy and I haven't got round to trying it. I don't know if this is common to all spd-30s or just a fault in mine. Like you I got it for a good price (supposedly ex-trade show stock... maybe Michael Shack whacked it too hard) so I'm not really complaining...

Comment

Has anyone tried experimenting with different cables?

Comment

Just came across this very old post as I was experiencing the same issue with my new SPD-30 with master outs using a dual TS -> TRS cable. I believe this is common to all SPD-30's and it might depend more on where you're running it to. I found this KB article which resolves the problem: https://www.roland.com/us/support/kn...ase/201919819/

Version 2 in the SPD-30 added a feature called Output Gain, which boosts the output level coming from the outputs +6dB. Selecting this setting can be helpful if your particular setup requires a stronger output signal from the SPD-30. Here's how to access the Output Gain feature:

1. Press the MENU button.

2. Turn the function 1 (F1) knob to highlight "AMBIENCE."

3. Press the function 3 (F3) button (ENTER).

4. Press the F2 button repeatedly until you've selected the "LIMIT" tab.

5. Turn F3 to choose "+6dB."

6. Press the BACK button when you're finished. The new settings are saved automatically.

Comment

Working...
                X