Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Mulitiple Outputs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mulitiple Outputs

Well it's time for my first live performance with the V-Pros. And this is big. Like thousands of people. So It needs to be good. But I have a slight problem. No, a big problem.

I need two stereo outputs. One for stage monitoring, and one for the mixer and PA. But I cant do it. I've read the maunal over and over and can't figure out how to get multiple outputs from the TD-10. All I can seem to do is assign certain drums to certain outputs. But I just can't seem to get two stereo outputs. I mean, there is a Master, Direct 1, 2, and 3. So what's the deal? Can anyone help me with this problem?
    The best damn kid in the record industry. Maybe.

You always have the headphone out, maybe not ideal but it's one more stereo out.

Bill

Comment

Two Y cables, one out of the left, one out of the right. Now you have two lefts and two rights. Dont run any of these four cables more than 10-15 feet, if you must..be sure to use a direct box (DI), 4 of them if you need, this will balance the signal on the cable so it can be sent over great lengths.

[This message has been edited by Multilin (edited September 29, 2001).]

Comment

Thanks Multilin. That helps a lot. The Sound company coming in to run the show is some big group of audio engineers. Should I expect them to have all the cables and boxes and stuff? Or do i need to go out and pick them up myself.
        The best damn kid in the record industry. Maybe.

Comment

If this is a BIG gig with a professional PA company let me see if I can help (I work for a professional PA company that does BIG gigs).

Firstly: There should be no need for you to run dual stereo outs. Any decent company will have a stage box that runs two multicore's (snakes). One multicore goes to FOH and the other to a foldback desk. BOTH multicore's run off a single input. I mean, are they expecting the guitarist to mic up his amp in stereo??? And what about the vocals (TWO lead vocal mics????). Not likely.

Secondly: If they don't have a foldback desk, usually the FOH engineeer will control the foldback sends. This will only utilise a single multicore.

Thirdly: The only reason that you would want to run dual stereo sends that I can see is if you want to run your own monitors. My experience says that companies that take care of big gigs usually have better monitors that the average muso. Use theirs.
          However, if you are determined to use your own monitors, most DI boxes have a parallel output on them that you can reroute back to your monitors. By this I mean that you plug the stereo signals into two DI boxes (which in turn then send a balanced signal to the FOH desk), then use the parallel output (usually unbalanced jack) to run your monitors.
          You will need to check with the company if their DI boxes have parallel outputs (most quality DI boxes do).

Fifthly: You should have your own cables, (although the company will also have some) but all other hardware such as DI boxes etc should be supplied by the company.

Lastly: Have a bloody good time, there is an atmosphere (and a fear) that you get at big gigs that doesn't compare to much.
          Steve

'I only ever quote myself - except when I quote someone else' - me

, plenty of , and , , triggered acoustics, , and a plethora of PA blah blah freakin blah...I mean does anyone care about the specifics of pedals, speakers, processors, hardware or anything that I'm using?? :confused: Hmmm, maybe this is an appropriate place to mention that I tried out a new cymbal stand the other day...

Comment

Another suggestion with regards to point three above:
            Another scenario is to use one of the folback sends from the *stage box or foldback desk* to feed your monitors. Then simply request that drums only be placed in those monitors. The rest of the band can be monitored by you from their supplied drum fill.
            It all depends if you are doing a band 'shuffle' sort of thing. That is only play for 1/2 hour then the next band comes on etc. If you are the main thing then you will usually get time for a soundcheck to sort some of these issues out.

Don't be afraid to explain your situation to the engineers, they are generally an accomodating bunch who arn't known to bite.

Also, look into buying your own DI boxes if you will be playing live more and more. They are a worthwhile investment.
            Steve

'I only ever quote myself - except when I quote someone else' - me

, plenty of , and , , triggered acoustics, , and a plethora of PA blah blah freakin blah...I mean does anyone care about the specifics of pedals, speakers, processors, hardware or anything that I'm using?? :confused: Hmmm, maybe this is an appropriate place to mention that I tried out a new cymbal stand the other day...

Comment

Working...
            X