Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Why does the TD10 manual say "Trigger Input (dual) x 12" ....p.168

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does the TD10 manual say "Trigger Input (dual) x 12" ....p.168

Is it a misprint, or maybe Roland uses a different definition?

From what I've read on this board, the TD10 in's are STEREO, not DUAL, In other words, you cannot trigger two piezo's from one jack(input). Maybe the snare being an exception...I haven't quite figured out the snare yet.

Just wanted to clear it up. before i start screwing around with some FSR's I just bought.

Bill

Maybe a poor translation from Japanese, maybe an unclear use of "dual", or maybe deception. Some of their ad copy makes for confusing representations too.

You are mostly correct with regard to the TD-10. The snare input is an exception. Also, beware of the various descriptions of fsr "triggers"/"switches" in your travels. I have seen more than a few creative interpretations of what these are and how they work. A true fsr trigger can be more than a shorting switch.

Comment

Thanks for confirming,
      I've got the FSR's working in experiments but haven't found a good way to interface a pad with them. The FSR samples I received are assorted sizes range from 1\4" to 2" diameter so I'll need to figure a way to transfer a large area of pressure to a small one...i.e. FSR on tip of cone of PD100 or something like that.

The other problem I have is that these samples have a very flimsey pair of contacts and I don't have an interface for them yet, other than solder or clip leads
      ...hmmm ... WHY in the hell did Roland use Stereo(FSR\Piezo) inputs for ALL of the TD10's IN's ???

Bill

Comment

The FSR samples I received are assorted sizes range from 1\4" to 2" diameter so I'll need to figure a way to transfer a large area of pressure to a small one...i.e. FSR on tip of cone of PD100 or something like that.
        Keep in mind how the fsr works. The more pressure, the more the "textured" (if you looked at it magnified greatly) side is compacted, the more it is compacted the more contact is made with the other side, the more contact, the more conducting, etc.
        WHY in the hell did Roland use Stereo(FSR\Piezo) inputs for ALL of the TD10's IN's ???
        Possibly to try and limit you to buying their pads and probably to save a few $.

Comment

The other night, I trid to put an FSR betweeen the head and cone of a PD120 then connected the leads directly to the RIM Piezo's solder joints. It worked, but there was too much pressure on the FSR and I had to lift the head to get it working. I also tried a POT in series and looked for a crossing point that "thru the switch" by tapping the head, but no luck. In any case, I can't think of a good homemade interface for these things. Rolands "pad-to-FSR" dimensions must be fairly precise to work so well. I suspect they are custom FSR's as well.

Also, I'm pretty sure that sharing PD100's\PD120's with FSR's will not allow PROPER positional sensing on the PD's which I have grown to like. In my experiments, P.Sensing doesn't sound the same. I'm getting an edge sound all the time, but there seems to be a little p. sensing there.

I'm starting to lean toward getting another module or a MidiKiti as a means to expand inputs. I'd like to have several more In's.

I'll play with it more when I figure out a better interface.

Thanks for your help
          Bill

Comment

Working...
          X