Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

What to do with a Alesis D4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do with a Alesis D4?

I've noticed alot of D4s for sale on ebay and didn't really understand why until I started catching hints of other people incorporating the system into their other units (at least that's what I'm assuming). If this assumption is correct, how could you possibly improve an expanded td-10s system with addition of the alesis? Just what is the Alesis D4 good for anymore?

I keep my D4 to use in my computer based midi set up. regardless of all the advancements made since the D4 many people still think it produced some of the best drum sounds.
    ALSO, Welcome aboard. I am about an hour north of you in Kenton County Ky.. I think that makes three Kentuckians here that I know of. Do you ever play out in the Somerset area.
    Zigs

Comment

Originally posted by bullshooter:
      I've noticed alot of D4s for sale on ebay and didn't really understand why until I started catching hints of other people incorporating the system into their other units (at least that's what I'm assuming). If this assumption is correct, how could you possibly improve an expanded td-10s system with addition of the alesis? Just what is the Alesis D4 good for anymore?
      Apart from it's sounds, additional trigger inputs. MIDI up the two, and you can plug pads into the D4 and trigger sounds from the TD-10ex.

Stu

"Fry that sound effect, Moriarty, we're having it for breakfast"

Comment

I had an Alesis D4 before I got my ddrum4... I should have kept it for extra sounds..........
        Music was my first love...

Comment

Originally posted by Zigs:
          I keep my D4 to use in my computer based midi set up. regardless of all the advancements made since the D4 many people still think it produced some of the best drum sounds.
          ALSO, Welcome aboard. I am about an hour north of you in Kenton County Ky.. I think that makes three Kentuckians here that I know of. Do you ever play out in the Somerset area.
          Zigs
          Hi Zigs, I play out every chance I get, which is not much lately because of my job. I have played for years in Somerset and the surrounding areas. It's mostly country and southern rock around here, which is not exactly my favorite kind of music, but I have grown to like it over the last 20 yrs. Thanks for your reply and good luck with your projects !!!

Comment

I keep my D-4 in my rig for several reasons:

1: It allows you assign sounds to the Main or Aux outputs on a per-pad, per-kit basis. The TD-10 has this functionality as I understand it, but the TD-8 and the TD-6 do not.

2: The D-4 will display each individual note being triggered using its Note Chase function, whether the note is being triggered remotely (i.e. sequencer) or directly (i.e. drum pad). This also allows for editing these same notes if necessary. NONE of the TD-series modules provide a Note Chase function for remote triggering, which is why I am of the mind that they simply aren't suitable for use with a sequencer.

3. The D-4 is compatible with most outboard MIDI data filers/librarians. The TD-series modules are not. Pity the poor TD-series module owner that gets an accidental spike or a connection to a dirty power source and comes away with a factory reset or worse.....

4. Having the extra module enables you to stack sounds via MIDI. The TD-series modules have no provision for this internally. Stacking sounds can really help to beef up snare and bass drum patches in particular (some of my favorite D-4 sounds for this purpose are "Big "O"", "Garage", "Pop Shot", and "Rawhide"). Moreover, if you have a particular kit set up and aren't happy with one or more of its sounds, then substitute them with D-4 sounds. There are a few D-4 sounds (the vibra-slap, for example) that I think are superior to their Roland counterparts.
            TD-30 / SPD-SX

Comment

I guess I might as well check in with the KY guys. I'm in Ashland. Don't have a d4. Wish I had kept an old hr16 I had years ago just for the hell of it.
              Tom

Comment

Correction for you Mick:

There is a Note Chase function on my V-Cymbal TDW-1 (which means that that is also available on the TD-10 -- to the best of my knowledge). Go to SETUP, then MIDI (F2), then GLOBAL (F1). It's underneath the separator line. This will get notes from an external sequencer so you can edit them on the TD-10/TDW-1 when MIDI'ed from the OUT of something to the IN of the TD-whatever-you're-using.

If this is not what you mean, then you can correct me/beat me down/whatever.

Remember, I's only tryin' ta help.

=^_^=
                "I do what I like, and I like what I do."

Comment

Thanks, Electrode, I appreciate that. You're actually the first person to ever come forth and point this out since I've been a member. I've responded to or raised this matter about editing remotely-triggered MIDI notes on a number of occasions, and the total lack of any kind of rebuttal to my posts sort of led me to believe I knew what I was talking about. I'm glad to hear I'm wrong and that Roland has included this very important feature in the TD-10. As an owner of the TD-8 and TD-6, I'm not glad to know that Roland has not reciprocated with these two modules. If there's some trick to this I'm unaware of, I'm all ears.....

P.S.: Just to make sure I'm on the same page as you, Electrode, are you saying that if you play back a sequence that is channeled MIDI In to your TD-10 that its Note Chase function will display each triggered note on the screen as it occurs? Obviously, if you hit a pad that's plugged directly into your TD-10 you can see the name of the sound, its corresponding MIDI Note, what group it's in, the editing parameters, etc. Does the TD-10 allow this with a sequencer?
                  TD-30 / SPD-SX

Comment

Yes. In fact it was turned on on my TD10 while I was doing some sequence/recording work recently, and was verry anoying because I just wanted it to stay on one sound, not chase every note around. I found the setting and turned it off, but yes, with the TD10, note-chase can be turned on or off for both triggered and midi notes.

[This message has been edited by Louis (edited September 20, 2001).]

Comment

Originally posted by MPCman:
                      I had an Alesis D4 before I got my ddrum4... I should have kept it for extra sounds..........
                      Bought one again!

------------------
                      http://mpcman.flappie.nl
                      Music was my first love...

Comment

DOORSTOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just kidding!!

------------------
                        Ted H.
                        www.tocsinrocks.com
                        Ted H.

Comment

I sold mine to the drummer from Killers. That's my only claim to fame.

Comment

Ahhh, Paul Di'anno. I would hate to think his drummer couldn't afford a better module?

Like Stu says, I've kept my dm5 for more inputs. It has some of the worst cymbals. I've said this before, that tin can on a spring splash makes me laugh every time.

Comment

Working...
                            X