Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Hart Ecymbal ll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hart Ecymbal ll

Has anyone heard whether the ecymbal II ride cymbal needs one or two inputs(for separate edge and bell sounds) with the expanded 10?
    I'm willing to give up the positional sensing that the PD9 offers, for a more realistic ride cymbal feel. The Electronic Hi-Hat looks intriguing as well. Especially, if it is quieter than the PD7.

I use the ride input for the bow and the aux1 input for the bell on my expanded td10 for my Hart EcymbalII. Do I need to? Perhaps not, anymore- but that's the way I set it up when I first built the kit, so I haven't seen any reason to change it. I ain't fixin' what ain't broke.

I do like the feel of this trigger a great deal better than the flat-pad TD7 I used to use (and kill, with annoying regularity). The bell portion in particular is very important to me, since I've used an angled stroke on the bell since before the warranty ran out on dirt (20+ years), and I want the stick to rebound towards my hand, not off at some obscene angle. Bottom line: I ain't gonna change, so the trigger had better cope...

I also like the fact that you get a natural crosstalk between bell and bow. The more you dig into the bow, the more bell you start to get- that sonds quite natural to me.

If there's a way to use this with a stereo cable and the ride input only, I'd like to hear about it. For the nonce, though, I'm a y-cord kinda guy.

Maybe I'll go downstairs and try it. I ought to be playing on such a nice night...

Comment

Why not just use a stereo cable and use the Aux 11/12 input 11 for bow and 12 for bell or vise-versa. and use the ride input for your aux. pad.

Comment

Both HART ride cymbals are true dual piezo triggers. Both are set up in the same way.
        There are 2 options:
        1. Plug a stereo (trs) cable in to the cymbal. At the end of the cable that plugs in to the module, install the HDI cymbal adapter plug (ECSTAD). This is and adapter that bridges the two (trs tip and ring) outputs to one mono out. They are provided with our drum sets in the cable package which comes with all adapters and cables necessary for hook up with any module. This adapter can also be purchased at Radio Shack for $2.00 (part #274-360b) This can then be plugged in to the Ride channel. Go into the instruments section and choose an "X" ride sound. ie: jaxx ride, jazz bell, jazz x. The X samples have both body and bell sounds. Adjust the sensitivity for the cymbal so that it picks up all of your notes and achieves the dynamic qualities to suit your playing. If the bell sound transition is occurring when you play the body hard, you may then adjust your v curve so that the bell sound occurs only when you hit the bell. This set up works EXTREMELY well and is very natural from a playing stand point.

2. Plug a stereo (trs) cable in to the cymbal. At the end of the cable that plugs in to the module, install the HDI cymbal Y cable adapter plug (HW-FYCBL), also refered to as an FMM (Female/Male/Male) cable. This is and adapter that bridges the two (trs tip and ring) outputs to two mono outs. The FMM adapter has a short lead and a long lead with 1/4" male plugs on the ends. The long lead is the "tip" or body and the short lead is the bell. The long lead can then be plugged in to the Ride channel and the short lead into an aux channel or any available open input (channel). You do not need to change the ride sound unless you want a different ride on that particular set. You may then pick any bell (or instrument) sound you want for the bell input. Adjust the sensitivity for the cymbal so that it picks up all of your notes and achieves the dynamic qualities to suit your playing. If the bell sound transition is occurring when you play the body hard, you may then adjust your threshold on the bell input so that the bell sound occurs only when you hit the bell. This is the optimum set up which allows the user total control of the trigger parameters and sound for each trigger (body and bell), but requires 2 inputs OR a true TRS (two separate channels) AUX channel.

If you are using an AUX input on ANY module for a second sound, pad type is irrelevant, as long as you use recommended settings. It is important to note that even though Roland sets come pre-programmed to work with their gear, It has been my experience that once an individual user becomes familiar with the module, they almost always tweek it to refine settings for their own taste.

Comment

Working...
        X