Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

V- Cymbals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V- Cymbals

Have just got some V- Cymbals crash, ride, & hi-hat and Im starting to experiment with different sounds etc. I am using these with a TD10 EXP and the ride cymbal with two cables.

I was just wondering if anyone was willing to share ideas on mix and match of patches that sound really cool, or that they really like. Or any other set-up tips

I like the factory hi-hat on "Studio" in the TD-10exp as a good starting point. I can't remember which crashes I started with in most of my now favorites, but two of the best sets of these (now very augmented) started out as "pairs" of factory samples. (i.e. 16" and 18" thin this or heavy that). I have more than a few rides and rotate them in and out of favor and/or with different kits for different feels. I'm partial at the moment to putting a crash ride sound on the rim of the ride on a kit or two. That doubles for swells and quick accent crashes.

As always remember if you edit and model sounds in headphones, plan on playing in headphones. The sounds, particularly cymbals, will likely sound very different (as well as the dynamics and balance) live. I have headphone versions and live versions of two kits, and I used very different settings (and even base sounds) and eq, etc. to achieve the similar results. None of them are really very close to each other, and I treat the remaining kits mostly as one or the other.

Comment

I agree with Dr. Kildrum, I just realized last night at band rehearsal that all of my careful setting work at home using my headphones (and guitar amp sometimes)created some very harsh levels from the bows on the crash cymbals when running through the PA and stage monitors, which required some quick adjusting so I didn't blow everyones ears out (plus it sounded ridiculous). There can be a big difference in volume levels from the cymbal edges (rims) and bows, so you have to make sure you set volume levels for both in the control room section of the module. I also recently realized after some intial recording sessions that the edge (rim) instrument type for the hi-hat edge can be set independently as I was getting a harsh loud hi-hat sound every time I hit the edge of the hi-hat with the shoulder of my stick. I subsequently set the hi-hat edge instrument to the same one used for the bow and reduced its volume as well. It's much better now. Don't expect too much from the bell on the ride. I know there have been previous discussions about this and I don't want to rehash it, but you really have to hit the bell pretty firmly with the shoulder of your stick and its still not as reliable as the other triggers. If you absolutley, positively need a sound to trigger reliably (like a cowbell) for a particluar song, I would suggest setting it up on the bow of one of the crashes in a copy of the kit you normally use.

Comment

I've got two different ride cymbal edge patches on my main kit. One is on the ride cymbal rim trigger, the other is on a crash cymbal rim trigger.

Live, these patches are just gorgeous!
        Immensely powerful yet with a liquid cat-quick elegance

Comment

Thanks for the info I have been playing around with edge & crashes on the side of rides. Presently getting mixed results but I can feel the advantages.

Thanks your comments have been a help.

Comment

Working...
          X