Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

CY-6 (w/TD-8): rim dynamic range?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CY-6 (w/TD-8): rim dynamic range?

Howdy, I'm looking at perhaps replacing my 2 PD-7 crashes with CY-6's. (I'm happy with my PD-7 hihat and a PCY-80S ride.) My big question (and one I could not find a specific reference to in my archive search!) is, how is the dynamic range of the rim fsr when using the CY-6 as a crash?

I currently use the center of my PD-7's for crashes, and I use the rims for splashes. But I'd ike to use the rim for crashes to give a more acoustic-like technique. Can you get reliable soft and loud crash response from the rim? Any kind of rolls/swells? (The center of the PD-7's alow acceptable swells, at least on some crashes.)

Thanks in advance for any info. And if the CY-6 rims work well as crashes, does anyone want to buy a pair of PD-7's? $^)

Howdy back at ya,
    I just bought 2 cy6 and I really like them I was using the PCY 80s and replaced them with the cy6. I have never used the PD 7 or PD 9 I use the Yamaha TP 80s for ride and hihat they are the same type pads and I like the way they mount better than the Roland one. I am using a TD-10 expanded but I don't have the V cymbal upgrade I also replaced the ride with a CY15r and that thing is really nice . I have read about people having problems with the bell sound but I haven't had any it works fine for me it is just 2 triggers instead of three. The only think I don't like about the CY6 is they don't swing as freely as the CY15r and I am sure the CY14c is the same as the CY15r they play like real cymbals. As far as swells go the same is true as you said with the pd 7 it depends on the sound you are using I am using crash sounds on the rim and it works fine I am using a splash on one pads bow and a crash on the other. I also like the crashes on the edge I put my acoustic cymbals flat so I sweep the edges alot instead of digging into them and I wanted my Ecymbals the same way. If you decide to get the CY6 go to Midwestpercussion.com they are like $79ea. them go to zzounds .com and report the price and they will bet it. I got two for $160.85 total thats w/shipping. Hope this helps I have a td 8 but it is being repaired right now so I don't know how the CY6 will work with it. By the way I am from Va also not too far from you about 3 1/2 hours I have played in Springfield ,VA. alot in the past.

[This message has been edited by zekedrum (edited September 03, 2001).]

Comment

Thanks for the info and pricing! Could you elaborate on the loudness range for the crashes? That is, can you do soft hits consistently, and still get a loud crash with a hard hit? (I'm willing to tweak trigger and mixer settings to get it right, if possible.)

BTW, I just moved up to NYC. Temporarily in Brooklyn, soon to be in Manhattan... $^)

Comment

Yes you have full dynamics on the cymbals , softer hits are softer hits and hard hits are louder. This all depends on your playing style as with the PCY 80 but like I said I have never used the PD 7 OR pd 9 so I cannot compare them. The CY 6 has solved my cymbal problems I was having alot of spiking( loud & soft) inconsistant volume with the Hart pads and the Yamaha pads (Cymbal).I might upgrade to the CY14c put just because they feel better ,they swing more freely and seem to trigger the same. Like I said I have the CY15R for a ride not the CY6 I read on another thread that it doesn't work well for a ride . I tried it (CY6) with my TD 10 and I think with some treaking you can make it work fine,you can always send them back to ZZound if you don't like them I think they have a 30 or 45 day return policy. Anyway I hope this helps BTW I have some like new Hart Xcymbals for sell if you want to try Hart pads they just did'nt work for me. I have a chokeable crash and a splash I will let them go cheap . I can email you some pics if you want if not I think I am going to ebay them.
        See Ya

Originally posted by drmoze:
        Thanks for the info and pricing! Could you elaborate on the loudness range for the crashes? That is, can you do soft hits consistently, and still get a loud crash with a hard hit? (I'm willing to tweak trigger and mixer settings to get it right, if possible.)

BTW, I just moved up to NYC. Temporarily in Brooklyn, soon to be in Manhattan... $^)

Comment

Working...
        X