Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Master or Direct

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Master or Direct

Hi,
    I am connecting my TD-10 into a Mackie mixer; is there any difference in using Master or Direct outputs (other than the fact that you can adjust the master volume with a knob);
    if using Master, what is the appropriate level, full, knob at half, between half and full ? I can accomodate any volume of signal on the Mackie side;
    last question : what is the best amplified monitor to hook to the Mackie mixer;
    thanks in advance for your input;

JJ.

Since no one else seems like they are going to respond to this, I'll give it a try.

I don't think that there is a material difference in the main vs. direct out except as you said you can control the level of the main outs with the knob on the module. I recall some discussion about differences in the way effects, ambience, etc. are sent to the direct outs, but I have an expanded TD-10 and I don't really hear the difference.

I would suggest, however that you split your outputs into 4 groups: kick, snare, toms & cymbals. Run the kick to the main out, snare to Direct 1, Toms to Direct 2 & Cymbals to Direct 2. Pan them all center and send one side of each to the main board and one side to a small mixer that you connect to your powered moniter so that you can control what you hear. Based on the statements in this discussion forum it looks like a lot of people like the Mackie SRM 450 for a powered monitor, but I am using a Roland KC-500 and I like it so far after a couple of gigs at block parties playing classic and new rock. It's not as powerful as the Mackies, but its cheaper and has four stereo inputs, so you don't need a separate mixer for your monitor mix.

Comment

thanks Mr Bagman; I will try what you suggest;
      JJ (from France)

Comment

Working...
      X