Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Master or Direct

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Master or Direct

Hi,
    I am connecting my TD-10 into a Mackie mixer; is there any difference in using Master or Direct outputs (other than the fact that you can adjust the master volume with a knob);
    if using Master, what is the appropriate level, full, knob at half, between half and full ? I can accomodate any volume of signal on the Mackie side;
    last question : what is the best amplified monitor to hook to the Mackie mixer;
    thanks in advance for your input;

JJ.

Since no one else seems like they are going to respond to this, I'll give it a try.

I don't think that there is a material difference in the main vs. direct out except as you said you can control the level of the main outs with the knob on the module. I recall some discussion about differences in the way effects, ambience, etc. are sent to the direct outs, but I have an expanded TD-10 and I don't really hear the difference.

I would suggest, however that you split your outputs into 4 groups: kick, snare, toms & cymbals. Run the kick to the main out, snare to Direct 1, Toms to Direct 2 & Cymbals to Direct 2. Pan them all center and send one side of each to the main board and one side to a small mixer that you connect to your powered moniter so that you can control what you hear. Based on the statements in this discussion forum it looks like a lot of people like the Mackie SRM 450 for a powered monitor, but I am using a Roland KC-500 and I like it so far after a couple of gigs at block parties playing classic and new rock. It's not as powerful as the Mackies, but its cheaper and has four stereo inputs, so you don't need a separate mixer for your monitor mix.

Comment

thanks Mr Bagman; I will try what you suggest;
      JJ (from France)

Comment

Working...
      X