Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Triggering differences between TD 8/TD 10?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triggering differences between TD 8/TD 10?

Hi,

I´ve got a Roland kit made up of V Drums, and TD 7 pads that I mainly want to use for triggering DFH Superior Drums, EZ Drummer, BFD, and other samples in my Mac and MacBook Pro. I have a TD 7 Brain that came with the kit, but it was terrible for triggering drum samples.
    I bought an Alesis I/O, and did a lot of tweeking, it´s ok, but there´s still a slight delay, and dynamics problem.
    I was told by a friend that it would be better to buy a used TD 8 or TD 10 for triggering sounds in the computer with my V Drum/TD 7 Pad kit.
    My question is; Is there any difference in the triggering between the TD 8 and the TD 10?
    I´ve read that some people actually liked the sounds and the simple operation of the TD 8, while the TD 10 has more features, an expansion card, and more inputs/outputs, but costs more. I´m looking to buy a TD 8 or TD 10 just as a trigger for my Roland pads.
    My main concern is will one trigger better than the other, or do they both trigger the same?
    Thanks in advance.

Great forum you got here.

DICARLO
    Last edited by DICARLO; 02-28-10, 05:26 PM.
    "THE CUTTING EDGE"

www.myspace.com/dicarlo-productions
    www.myspace.com/onlinemixingandmasteringcom
    www.online-mixing-and-mastering.com

Originally posted by DICARLO View Post
    My question is; Is there any difference in the triggering between the TD 8 and the TD 10?
    Not much, if anything. The TD-8 was a slightly restricted budget-version of the TD-10, but I'm sure Roland did nothing to cripple the basic trigger to MIDI output.

A TD-8 transmits positional sensing only from the snare input. An unexpanded TD-10 sends positional sensing info for snare and ride inputs. A TD-10 with TDW-1 transmits positional sensing control changes via MIDI for all inputs.

My main concern is will one trigger better than the other, or do they both trigger the same?
    I think you would struggle to notice any difference via MIDI, unless you really want to make use of positional sensing on ride and toms.

Bruce

Comment

Hi BarT,

Thanks for your comment.
      So what you´re saying is the positional sensing on the ride and toms is better on the TD 10?! I´m just curious if anyone knows how much the positional sensing will effect, or if it will have any effect on the DFH Superior, EZ Drummer, and BFD drums in the computer?
      Or is the positional sensing only in context with the TD 10 internal sounds?
      Used TD 8´s go for around 350-400 €. TD 10´s go for around 450-500 €. I´m just wondering if it would be worth it to spend the extra money?
      Thanks for the information so far. I didn´t know that the TD 8 only had positional sensing only on the snare. Is that why you can only use brushes on the snare on the TD 8? Can you use brushes on the whole kit with the TD 10?
      Again, I´m just curious how much, (if any) the positional sensing will effect triggering the drums in my computer.
      Thanks again.

DICARLO
      "THE CUTTING EDGE"

Comment

So what you´re saying is the positional sensing on the ride and toms is better on the TD 10?!
        Yes, none on the TD-8.

I´m just curious if anyone knows how much the positional sensing will effect, or if it will have any effect on the DFH Superior, EZ Drummer, and BFD drums in the computer?
        I only know that some of the VST libraries can make use of positional sensing, but I'm not sure how many people actually use it.

Or is the positional sensing only in context with the TD 10 internal sounds?
        No, it can be used via MIDI.

Is that why you can only use brushes on the snare on the TD 8?
        I don't think the two things are related.

Can you use brushes on the whole kit with the TD 10?
        Yes, but both modules do sweep/swirl on the snare and both only have a few brush sounds for toms, hi-hat, crash and ride.

Again, I´m just curious how much, (if any) the positional sensing will effect triggering the drums in my computer.
        I haven't used it like that, but my bet is not much.

Bruce

Comment

As far as the triggering delay, The scan time will effect that. Longer scan, more delay. The dynamics could be altered with sensitivity & threshold.

Disregard this if it doesn't apply.

Comment

Thanks again Bruce.
            You´re a wealth of information.
            I pretty much understand now that for my purposes of using the TD 8 or TD 10 for triggering samples, that either one would do the trick. Depending on the price, I´ll definitely pick up one or the other. The slight delay on the Alesis I/O makes me crazy.lol
            Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.
            Have a great day.

DICARLO
            "THE CUTTING EDGE"

Comment

"THE CUTTING EDGE"

Comment