Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Amplification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amplification

I have just finished upgrading to Vdrums via a TD7. I now have an TD10 exp and a collection of PD80ís. However I am unhappy with my amplification. I have been using a roland combo keyboard amp, thinking that it would give me an overall sound. However it seems to die with the sound of the middle toms. A guy in my local store suggested a bass amp!

What are you guys using and what is the pluses & negatives of the set-up?

What is the most important getting the amp or speakers right?

Originally posted by Daveb:

What are you guys using and what is the pluses & negatives of the set-up??

This is my sound system for my drums. It is a bit much ($) for starters (or not, depends on you) but it will put a permanent smile on your face. You might not need or want a system like this - it is very strong. I am sure others here can give you some input regarding a lesser system, if you want.

Amp: Crown K2 http://www.crownaudio.com/amp_htm/k.htm

Speakers: MI-Series Cerwin Vega V-253 http://www.cerwin-vega.com/products/index.html

There are no negatives that I can find in my system....well except the fact that my system can tear your head off, if pushed.

What is the most important getting the amp or speakers right?
    IMHO, the right impedance matching. Here is some info on it.
    http://www.vdrums.com/discussion/For...ML/000919.html

------------------
    szvook

[This message has been edited by szvook (edited August 06, 2001).]
    Studio

Comment

szvook, what do you think of the V-35X's compared to the 253's?

Thnx,
      -Marc.

Comment

They are pretty much the same in every performance sense, except for 1. - The lack of the low frequency independent overloads protection (since Ií am in techno genre, that made a difference to me. I push the low end a lot). And 2. - The two 15Ē woofers instead of one 18Ē woofer.

I almost went with the V-35ís, but at the time I got a really good deal on the V-253ís.

I would recommend the V-35ís to anyone. The only thing to keep in mind is this; the Cerwin Vega speakers sound better when they are placed on the floor rather then on poles. The low end comes out much better when they are placed on the floor.

------------------
        szvook
        Studio

Comment

Thatís all pretty powerful stuff, I was thinking of a system with less oomph.

What are the PM3 like, what I am looking for is a system that I can do small pub work with, that is easy to travel with Ė not asking much am I !

If we do a large gig ,which has only been twice in the last three years, I would expect to go through the house PA

Comment

not asking much am I !
            Not at all. That is what I wanted to get to recreate an environment that my edrums will face during gigs. I do not take my system on the road; itís for my studio. For stage sound, we always use the reference monitors provided by the venue.

As I mentioned earlier, the other users here have played through other possible set ups and might be more helpful in the recommendations, Iíve only played through my system and have not tried many others for a duration of time that would give me an idea of what they can do.

So someone here will give their opinion I am sure. Also try to do a search here for PM3 or PA or sound reinforcement or amplification or stage monitors or just speakers. A lot of info has been posted from users that have tried numerous combinations for what you might like.

Good luck.

------------------
            szvook

[This message has been edited by szvook (edited August 07, 2001).]
            Studio

Comment

I use a Crate keyboard amp that has an EQ so I can adjust for the sound I like. The bass apm you may lose the highs you want.

------------------
              Ted H.
              www.tocsinrocks.com
              Ted H.

Comment

Originally posted by Stixx777:
                The bass apm you may lose the highs you want.

Unless you have an outboard mixer, then EQ per channel (in use) can be applied.

------------------
                szvook
                Studio

Comment

Originally posted by Stixx777:
                  I use a Crate keyboard amp that has an EQ so I can adjust for the sound I like. The bass apm you may lose the highs you want.

Ditto except mine is an eight channel compact P.A. system by Crate....Works great!!

Comment

Ok so it sounds like a keyboard amp with EQ is a great option.

What sort of output do you have, is the wattage high enough?

Also does anyone use effects modules to enhance the sound, if so why and which ones?

Comment

300 watts per channel more than enough for me...

BBE Maximizer for sure and noise gate.

Comment

Also does anyone use effects modules to enhance the sound, if so why and which ones?

Yup.

Ií am using a Focusrite Compounder, Drawmer DL251, Alisis 3630, BBE 882, Aphex Aural Exciter C2- model 104, Lexicon MPX-1 and Behringer Tube T1951 EQ.

It makes a big difference in the sound clarity, output, dynamics/punch and wicked effects possibilities.

------------------
                        szvook
                        Studio

Comment

Thanks guys this has been really helpful, also did some searching in post postings.

outcome, well I used the vdrums at a jam session last night FOH was a great sound (we have EV FOH speakers. However the roland keyboard amp I was using as a monitor was naff. So bought a JBL EON 15G2 today (chosen over mackie because I got a better deal.

It looks as if I am on my way, next item will most probably be a sound maximiser.

Comment

Svook, this one's for you. You posted this a while back:

"I am using a Focusrite Compounder, Drawmer DL251, Alisis 3630, BBE 882, Aphex Aural Exciter C2- model 104, Lexicon MPX-1 and Behringer Tube T1951 EQ."

How about a diagram? I know this would be a lot of work, but I am interested in how you run your V-drums through all this equipment. The more detail the better.

------------------
                            - andy
                            - andy

Hart Dynamics ZigaPro Kit (6.4 w/ many extras)

Comment

I do not have a diagram laid out per say but I can provide the path(s) I use to run the signals from the TD-8 through my rack.

I do have to make one correction on my signal processors list Ė I do not use the Alesis 3630 at this time, the Drawmer DL251 has replaced it.

The direct outs from the TD-8 (D_L kick, D_R snare) are going to the BBE, from there into the Focusrite Compounder and into my Mackie Ė channel 1 & 2 in mono.

The master outs (MAS are for the rest of the TD-8) are going into the Aphex Aural Exciter, from there into the Drawmer and into my Mackie Ė channel 3 & 4 in stereo.

The mixer sends are going into the Behringer Tube T1951 EQ and then fed in to my amp and out to my speakers.

The aux sends for channel 1-4 on the Mackie are being fed the effects from the Lexicon MPX-1 so I can monitor the amount of effects for the kick, snare and the rest of the TD-8.

Thatís it.

------------------
                              szvook

[This message has been edited by szvook (edited August 10, 2001).]
                              Studio

Comment

Working...
                              X