Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

TDW-1 comments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TDW-1 comments

I have recently purchased the new expansion card for my TD-10. I have encoutered a couple of problems though along the way. The first thing is was quite confused at first glance at the manual for the new card. They suggest that you back up you original TD-10 data to a midi sequencer. Now I do not have a midi sequecer, and the idea that Roland strongly recommended to do this already left a bad taste in my mouth. I continued though, since there was really nothing that I could do to back up my existing TD-10 midi information.

Once the TDW-1 was installed I started to play around with the new features (crosstalk, cross-sticking, and sensitivity features). I quickly noticed that my snare lacked the same punch that it carried with the original TD-10. Through further investigation I found that the snare when I lightly tapped the shell it would carry at a very loud volume. however, when I hit the mesh head as hard as humanly possible it was still much quieter than when I tapped the side of the shell. Now, I understand that the V-drum pad operates with piezo pickups and there react to vibration. But why in Gods name does tapping the side of the shell vs. banging the heck out of the actual drum head, produce such a larger volume level? Shouldn't it be the other way around. Now, I did not change any of the factory settings after the TDW-1 installation so I doubt highly that it is my settings. Also when I plugged the same snare pad into the aux 12 channel, it worked the way it used to with the non-expanded TD-10. So some how the TDW-1 killed my module, and I have no clue how to get it back. THe way I have it set up now, works only when I turn up the cymbol fader in fader mode 2 the snare is also turned up and down. So in order to adjust these volumes I have to set them in the mixer.

Another quick question in regards to the TDW-1 expansion card. Who, actually uses all the synthesized sets? I mean I think they are really cool, but on the other hand I am a drummer not a keyboard player, and when the days is over I would rather more "real drum" sounds. Now, don't get me wrong I am blown away with the cymbol sounds and the V-drums system, they are great!!They are the perfect match for my current living situation, and I probobly would not be as frustrated if my TD-10 was not infected with some kind of virus that has killed my 2nd channel. So if anybody feels inclined to speak your mind on the TDW-1, feel free I am listening. Also, if anyone has encountered the same problem during the installation of their TDW-1 let me know how to solve it PLEASE!!!! Thanks guys!

------------------
    Adam Dunki-Jacobs
    www.jwband.com
    Adam Dunki-Jacobs
    www.jwband.com

The reason the snare makes sound when you hit the shell is because of the added feature the TDW-1 added to your snare input. OK class what is the added featured that causes this?? OK anyone,...... little Bobby do you know? How about you Debby? The answer is................(drum roll please).................................. the cross stick function. The snare input is now super hot. The cross stick setting is a little hot out of the factory, try turning that down a little. It will still do it but should not be as bad. To me it is not a problem I rarely bump it with a stick and sometimes I hit the side to get the cross stick sound just to be different.(not to hard don't want to run my pad) I hope this helps. As far as backing up is concern it is only if you want to save your custom settings a memory card will do the same thing.

------------------
    Ted H.
    www.tocsinrocks.com
    Ted H.

Comment

Alright, well I guess that makes sense, as far as the increased sensitivity goes, but when I hit the side of my snare it dies not produce a cross-stick noise when it is or is not turned on. Rather it just produces the normal snare sound at a MUCH higher volume.
      Adam Dunki-Jacobs
      www.jwband.com

Comment

It should still be related to the cross stick sensitivity. I think.

------------------
        Ted H.
        www.tocsinrocks.com
        Ted H.

Comment

Originally posted by dunks99:
          Alright, well I guess that makes sense, as far as the increased sensitivity goes, but when I hit the side of my snare it dies not produce a cross-stick noise when it is or is not turned on. Rather it just produces the normal snare sound at a MUCH higher volume.
          I have found a novel way to eliminate this phenomenon. Do not hit the side of the snare with your stick. Believe me, I've done this during the most quiet of passages. Nothing like having 300 people look over at you to see who the jerk was that just ruined the song. The band just rolls their eyes and tries not to laugh. I make like the bass player did it. Like I said, don't hit the side of the snare with your stick.
          Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by dunks99:
            ... back up you original TD-10 data to a midi sequencer. Now I do not have a midi sequecer, and the idea that Roland strongly recommended to do this already left a bad taste in my mouth.

Reason for backup is to be able to retrieve your customized TD-10 kits. They're toast now.

... I started to play around with the new features (crosstalk, cross-sticking, and sensitivity features). Now, I did not change any of the factory settings after the TDW-1 installation so I doubt highly that it is my settings.

I'd reinitialize the trigger bank and start over. We have all been there and the settings usually have changed.

Also when I plugged the same snare pad into the aux 12 channel, it worked the way it used to with the non-expanded TD-10.

Ok for a work around but all you get on your snare is pitch and decay. You lose the V settings and rim click this way.

So some how the TDW-1 killed my module, and I have no clue how to get it back.

you messed up man. probably voided your warranty too - just kidding...

First reinitialize the trigger bank, then tweak your sensitivity a bit, 7 or 8 maybe. The drums are electric, there is no need to beat them to death. Use the force Luke. You could also try some compression, 6 or 7 - that helps some snares. Boost the volume using the mixer control (kinda obvious).

Another quick question in regards to the TDW-1 expansion card. Who, actually uses all the synthesized sets?

different strokes... I'm sure someone likes them. I heard Putt ditched the v's cause they didn't have enough synthesized sounds. Ummm, yea, that's right. He wanted more cartoon sounds too!

[This message has been edited by Boingo (edited August 20, 2001).]
            Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Thanks for all of your help, tonight I am going to try to re-install the installation card and start from scratch again. Somewhere along the way something went wrong. I only hope that you don't have any problems at my gig tomorrow.

------------------
              Adam Dunki-Jacobs
              www.jwband.com
              Adam Dunki-Jacobs
              www.jwband.com

Comment

Working...
              X