Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

My first club gig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first club gig

Hello, in about a week I will be playing my first club gig, any advice?

Originally posted by TD8_V-Drummer:
    Here in the Netherlands we have a saying "Speel het dak eraf!!" (Play the roof off the building!!).
    Okay, now some real advise. I always take a piece of carpet with me that is big enough to put the drum set on and to sit on it as well. So the set/kick/hihat won't walk away. Use a good monitor set so that you and the rest of your band can here you play.
    Since I play on those small electronic pads I easily lose a stick when I accidentally miss a pad. For me that problem was for 90% solved since I put rubber bandage around the grip of my sticks.

Good Luck with you first gig!
    My bands: Meneer Van Zanten and The Shed (sorry, both in Dutch but you can see the pictures, videoclips and listen to our songs)

Comment

Drink heavily.

Comment

Get a good monitoring for your e-drums. If this is the first time you play on an amp, then you will have to become habituated to the sound system sound which is quite different from the headphones sound. So try to know which sound system the venue, or band you play with uses. Or hire a good monitor yourself. Otherwise playing e-drums will be disappointed.
        Robert

Comment

I have found it helps to take all the effects etc out and send a clean signal to your Main PA.
          Also, just in case I would bring some of those cheap in ear headphones in case you end up not being able to hear your monitor sound over the band.
          Good luck.

Comment

Remember to take a few spare parts, maybe 1 full clamp, a small toolkit and something that I find invaluable...a flashlight.

Comment

Duck Tape, don't leave home without it.
              Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by Boingo:
                Duck Tape, don't leave home without it.
                Amen to that. Make sure that your bass drum pedal has velcro on the bottom of the pedal plate or you'll find yourself busting out that duct tape a lot sooner than you might like!

Also, keep in mind that pretty much all musicians suffer from the "live adrenaline syndrome", where we tend to play much harder and faster than we would otherwise. Make sure that your trigger settings are appropriate for this. Unless, of course, you want to do like I did and end up playing the most God-awful version of "Wipe Out" in recorded history!
                TD-30 / SPD-SX

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Wade:
                  Also, keep in mind that pretty much all musicians suffer from the "live adrenaline syndrome"
                  Ah . . so thats what it's called - take a toilet roll for before hand!
                  Andy
                  TD-20, Pair of JBL-Eon15 G2's & Sub

Check out the demo tracks to hear my V's at

http://www.thebrokenangelband.co.uk/

Comment

Thanks everyone for your advice. I have played small gigs at parties and I've ran my set through a peavy PA it sounds great. I'm sure I won't be dissapointed with the clubs PA. SHould I run my set through a DI Box at the club?

Comment

SHould I run my set through a DI Box at the club?

Only if you are far way from the main board.

------------------
                      szvook
                      Studio

Comment

Make sure you have at least one beautiful female groupy to hang out with. This has prooved invaluable in my experience.

Jonna

[This message has been edited by Jonna (edited August 17, 2001).]

Comment

I would run to a DI box then to the PA. At a club you will probably go through a snake with XLR so a DI box is a great asset. My favorite line for the sound guy is. "I just need 2 XLR and the drums are done." Then you get a big smile from the sound guy. Always be over prepared!! is a good rule of thumb.

------------------
                          Ted H.
                          www.tocsinrocks.com
                          Ted H.

Comment

Originally posted by Stixx777:
                            Then you get a big smile from the sound guy. Always be over prepared!! is a good rule of thumb.
                            EXACTLY. YOU control your own sound. I carry everything that I need to provide (in my case four) outputs to the sound man. My own vocal mic, two outputs from the TD-10 (split with kick drum on a separate channel), and a submix of my auxiliary mics (congas).

It means that I have to carry a little bit more stuff, but I get consistent sound.

One note: LABEL EVERYTHING THAT IS YOURS. Don't allow your stuff to be thrown into the band "stash", since you never know how it's going to be treated. This includes cabling, DI boxes, etc. EVERYTHING. Maybe even your sticks. :-)

- Hans
                            - Hans

Comment

Originally posted by hmasing:
                              LABEL EVERYTHING THAT IS YOURS
                              Amen to that. The amount of stuff that has just 'disappeared' over the years would be enough to just about buy me another set of drums.
                              Steve

'I only ever quote myself - except when I quote someone else' - me

, plenty of , and , , triggered acoustics, , and a plethora of PA blah blah freakin blah...I mean does anyone care about the specifics of pedals, speakers, processors, hardware or anything that I'm using?? :confused: Hmmm, maybe this is an appropriate place to mention that I tried out a new cymbal stand the other day...

Comment

Working...
                              X