Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

TD7 Bass Drum Problem (KD7)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD7 Bass Drum Problem (KD7)

Hi Guys,

I've got a TD-7 turbo kit. I bought it as an ex-demo kit.

The bass drum pad (KD7) never seems to trigger very loudly. No matter how hard i whack it i can't get the Trigger Velocity display to go above half-way (under the Trigger Menu).

Has anyone else experienced this? Any solutions?

And what does the "polarity" screw do?

It sounds like you need to turn the sensitivity up.

Kurt
    Kurt

Pearl drums converted with hart adc, roland kd7's, pd 120 for snare, various roland rubber pads, hart e cymbals and pads, td8, td6, 2 mackie srm450s and mackie sub. mackie sr 24-4 mixer........and always growing.

Comment

How do i change the sensitivity?

I've already adjusted the VelCurve to Norm4 which has slightly improved the response.

Cheers

Comment

Oh.... someone must be able to help?

Please?

Comment

Tommy B if this was a demo kit it was probably tweeked and messed with considerably. You may want to do a system initialization and start over with your own settings........Just a suggestion

Jeff

Comment

Thanks for replying.

I already did that.
            I think that the KD7 may be faulty.... but there was one point where i got some decent volume out of it.... and then i reset it again... and i can't remember how i did it
            :-(

Any suggestions?

Comment

Hello,
              I've posted the answer to this before.
              Basically the KD7 has a serious design problem. There's a small ciruit board in the KD7 and it's very susceptible to the impacts of the beater. The solders break up, the clips which is in the female plug in the KD7 which connects to the male stereo plug also loses it's mechanical strength. A guy named Jay Adams from this site had taken pictures of the KD7 and it's components. I don't know if I should put those pictures up because he also plans to put up a web page with step by step procedures on fixing KD7 problems. (Jay, can I put up your pictures to show here?)

But before that here's some stuff to try:

1a. Connect a normal PD7/9 pad to the kick input and try hitting it. If you get decent triggerings go to 1b. below.

1b. Take out the small circuit board UNDER the kD7. This is a small circuit board which is connected to 2 red wires and holds 2 female sockets. It's inside the plastic enclosure,
              and held by 3 clips. Take out the plastic enclosure(between the L wedge of the KD7)
              and remove the small circuit board from the 3 clips.

2. Take a soldering gun and remove the 2 red wires from the board.

3. Directly connect the 2 red wires of the KD7 onto the male stereo plug connected to the "KICK" input of your TD7. Try random connections, and a few combinations of connections will work.

4. Hit the KD7 with several combinations of direct connections of the 2 red wires to the male plug. This means the piezzoelectric buzzer from KD7 is directly connected to the TD7. You should get the TD7 to sound.
              If this triggers the sound of TD7 with no problems, then you now know that the small circuit board has a problem. If it doesn't trigger, then something could be wrong with the piezzoelectric buzzer. But in all the cases I've seen, it's never the buzzer, so let's assume you can trigger the TD7 through this direct connection.

5. Assume you can do 4. above and get the TD7 to trigger with direct connection. Now , to
              fix your circuit board, check for any solder cracks, sometimes visible and sometimes not.
              It's best to just take a soldering iron and just melt each solder point and resolder every solder not matter how clean they look. Now reconnect the 2 red wires to the board and try the KD7 on the TD7. If still no decent triggering go to 6. below.

6.Take a nail and try to retighten the clips in the female socket to grip the male stereo plug more tightly.

If the above still doesn't work, please let me know and we'll see what the problem is from there.

Fon.

Fon.

TD8 with PD7's, 2 KD7's (From previous TD7)
              Tama Rockstar with mix of Sabian, Zildjian and Paiste.

Comment

If this image shows up, Figure 1 and 2 is the small circuit board I was talking about.
                Pictures taken by Jay Adams. (Hope you don't mind, Jay!)

Fon

If pix doesn't show see: http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/1ff34...pqtk7Aj4O7cMM.

[This message has been edited by R27789 (edited July 03, 2001).]
                Fon.

TD8 with PD7's, 2 KD7's (From previous TD7)
                Tama Rockstar with mix of Sabian, Zildjian and Paiste.

Comment

Hi,

Could someone update the link (above)? It seems completely dead?!?

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                  X