Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Direct Boxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Direct Boxes

I just played a few days ago and the sound guy keep asking me for more volume out of my TD-10. I had it maxed. We had a mono signal 1/4" running to a xlr to the snake. Was the low level because of the unbalanced outputs. I was thinking about getting a Direct box or maybe a BBE Sonic Maximizer to use as a Di in addition to it's main purpose. Will the BBE work or should i just go for a cheap DI active or passive?
    TD-10

If the BBE has balanced outputs it will work by itself, otherwise yes, you should balance the signal to the mixer using a DI.

Comment

The BBE 882 model will have balanced XLR inputs and outputs.

Also, the BBE DI-100 direct box has a built in sonic maximizer.

------------------
      szvook
      Studio

Comment

I am firmly of the belief that if you are not patching directly into the desk (ie a stage mix) then you should DI your outputs. Not only will this give better signal strength but it reduces the chance of interference from RF sources and grounding loops.
        This may mean buying 8 or more DI boxes or a unit which does the same thing en masse. Can get expensive but it's better than having the above problems.
        Other's may disagree with me. I care not. Just my opinion.
        Steve

'I only ever quote myself - except when I quote someone else' - me

, plenty of , and , , triggered acoustics, , and a plethora of PA blah blah freakin blah...I mean does anyone care about the specifics of pedals, speakers, processors, hardware or anything that I'm using?? :confused: Hmmm, maybe this is an appropriate place to mention that I tried out a new cymbal stand the other day...

Comment

portnoy99,

One way to increase volume easily is to check the overall output volume for drums in the percussion group section.

After I upgraded to the TD-10 expansion card, I forgot about it for quite a while.

When I rechecked, the drums were only about 2/3 of maximum.

Rotated the wheel - voila- an instant volume increase.
          Immensely powerful yet with a liquid cat-quick elegance

Comment

No argument about the volume increase but I think the point about converting to a balanced signal is that it improves (should probably say maintains) a quality signal. The unbalanced gets worse over any significant distance. Our soundbooth is some 75+ feet away. We have direct boxes for all unbal. signals and wouldn't consider anything else.
            Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Agree completely on need for balanced line when going > 25 feet.

Interesting, tho - I was told by our sound guy that the outputs from my TD-10 were quite hot, but then again the run was only ten feet.

Is there a rule of thumb for signal loss through a typical instrument cable, like a half-life? (Expect your signal to drop by 50% every X feet?)
              Immensely powerful yet with a liquid cat-quick elegance

Comment

It seems that 25-30 feet is the benchmark but Iím not sure about the % loss after that.

------------------
                szvook
                Studio

Comment

Working...
                X