Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Pads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pads

Is there any difference between The Roland rubber pads(pd5pd7pd9)and the Roland Mesh pads(pd80pd100pd120)other than stick rebound and one is more quiet than the other? Is the trigger inside both types the same? Do you get the same quality of output sound from both types of pads?Also what do you guys think of the Pintech mesh pads? I am a first time V-drummer and i am currently biulding my kit. I purchased the Expanded TD-10 and i am looking for pads........

Wow, that's a lot of questions. Most of the answers are here if you do a search. I'll answer some of your question(s). Pad sizes of course also vary with model (if this is important to you), but most important for me was/is how they feel. There is a difference between the rubber and mesh pads and you should TRY both before deciding. BTW, Pintech suggests that their mesh pads feel different than Roland mesh pads, not significantly to me, but there is a subtle difference between the two as between two-ply and one-ply heads.

As far as the electronics, there is plenty of technical info available on this site. The "output" that you refer to I guess is the ability of the pads to trigger the module. IMO, there is no appreciable difference there, other than your ability to pull of licks on the different surfaces. In other words, they all trigger fine, and you can adjust the triggering similarly from the module. The mesh pads allow you to adjust the tension of the playing surface some, the rubber pads don't but gain the advantage of being very consistent from pad to pad.

Another thing to keep in mind is single zone and dual zone pads (you may want two sounds from one pad, positional sensing, etc.)

As far as Pintech pads go, if you like the feel, good value for money. They trigger fine. If aesthetics are important to you, Pintech is coming out with a new line of mest pads (Vision) that will be available in over 100 colors and look pretty cool (IMO). My guess is that even those will be priced less than PD100's and PD120's. I can't answer whether you will have any problems integrating some of them with some Roland pads, because I personally haven't tried it, but I doubt it.

If you're really interested in more technical info, do a search, but I think you were looking in part for opinion/experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Pappa-J:
      Is the trigger inside both types the same?
      PD-7/9 etc = Piezo/FSR Triggers (for dual trigger pads)
      PD-120 etc = Piezo/Piezo Triggers (for dual trigger pads)

For in depth detail about the differences do a search using 'Piezo' or 'FSR'

Welcome aboard.
      Steve

'I only ever quote myself - except when I quote someone else' - me

, plenty of , and , , triggered acoustics, , and a plethora of PA blah blah freakin blah...I mean does anyone care about the specifics of pedals, speakers, processors, hardware or anything that I'm using?? :confused: Hmmm, maybe this is an appropriate place to mention that I tried out a new cymbal stand the other day...

Comment

[Thanks for the info

Comment

Dear Pappa-J,

Your happy hands and wrists will thank you every day for choosing mesh instead of rubber pads. Really worth the extra $$ IMHO.
          Immensely powerful yet with a liquid cat-quick elegance

Comment

Well I decided to go with 4 PD-9s for the toms and 1 PD-120 for the snare, Later on i will upgrade the toms to 100s. Now i have to decide on cymbals, What do you think of Rolands new Cymbals? How do you think they compare to Harts E-cymbals2?

Comment

At the risk of offending everyone who so desperately wants to reply to this question.
              Pappa-J, I would suggest you spend some time researching this using the search function. There have been many discussions about Hart and Roland E-cymbals. I am sure that you would love to wait another 10 days or so to get all your answers. However, if you want answers immediately they are already waiting for you to stumble across.
              On second thoughts, why bother using the search at all. We are here to help you. Everyone with an opinion about any e-cymbal can contribute now!!

Steveo exit stage left
              Steve

, plenty of , and , , triggered acoustics, , and a plethora of PA blah blah freakin blah...I mean does anyone care about the specifics of pedals, speakers, processors, hardware or anything that I'm using?? :confused: Hmmm, maybe this is an appropriate place to mention that I tried out a new cymbal stand the other day...

Comment

Oh,Im sorry i didnt mean to offend you with that stupid question, Since i am new to electronic drums i guess i tend to ask dumb things that experts like you have figured out along time ago, So thanks for your patience and your Uh.....Help

Comment

No offense taken. Not meaning to offend you either. Nor is it a stupid question. It has merely been discussed previously. I have no doubt that people will still respond to it. However there have been dedicated posts discussing this at length which will be much more useful.

Peace.
                  Steve

Comment

Working...
                  X