Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

did I ruin my td-8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• did I ruin my td-8

What did I do???

I just tried hooing up my stereo to my td-8.
    i was going out to the cd in on my reciever/amplifier.

Then the speaker wire touched some metal by accident and now the td-8 sounds really muffled.

I tried using the reset function and I also unplugged the td-8 for a few minutes.

I even unhooked the stereo hookup and just tried the headphones.

What should I do know?

Thanks

If the wire you grounded was from the brain, then you may have damaged the output. Was it from the headphone jack or the line outs? Whatever one, check the output from the other, you might be able to work with that output. Otherwise, if it's under warranty, maybe Roland will fix it for you. Otherwise, Maybe someone else here can help you.

If it was the actual speaker wire from the receiver, Check to see it it has a fuse, you may have blown it. Replacing it may be all you need to do. Otherwise...

HTH,
    Bob

Comment

Hooing is very dangerous and should never be attempted at home. Sorry for the levity, sounds like you blew the tweeter in the speaker cab, home stereo speakers have lousy high end protection. Hook the speaker to some other amp and see if it sounds the same, do the other components still sound the same?
      Drumkat Turbo 4.5, Emulator X3, Superior 2.1, Roland Fantom XR, DTXtreme III, SPD-20 etc.......

Comment

I think I ruined the td-8. I tried the headphone out jack and it still sounds muffled.

It should be under warrenty as I just got the td-8 about 2 months ago

How long am I looking at if i ship the unit to roland?

Comment

ok just checked the other output, that worked ok, but the headphone jack is just buzzing now, I wonder what I should do.
          does anyone know about how long it should take if I send it back to roland? I kinda need it for woodshedding on new material for this new band im playing with

Comment

Originally posted by drumrjoe:
            does anyone know about how long it should take if I send it back to roland? I kinda need it for woodshedding on new material for this new band im playing with
            Well, you won't be doing much woodshedding if your brain is fried.
            Roland service is generally pretty quick (although I have heard some horror stories). They should have it turned around within a fortnight..... unless it turns into a horror story.
            Steve

'I only ever quote myself - except when I quote someone else' - me

, plenty of , and , , triggered acoustics, , and a plethora of PA blah blah freakin blah...I mean does anyone care about the specifics of pedals, speakers, processors, hardware or anything that I'm using?? :confused: Hmmm, maybe this is an appropriate place to mention that I tried out a new cymbal stand the other day...

Comment

I would recommend that you not power up the TD-8 anymore as it sounds like every time you do, it gets worse. You probably fried the headphone output amp. I would think that turnaround on that would be relatively quick. Quicker still, if Roland just sends you another head, rather than spend the money and time on the benchwork involved with fixing yours.

Bob

[This message has been edited by HolShot (edited August 12, 2001).]

Comment

Now you know why manuals always tell you to insure that the AC is disconnected when making any connections.

Comment

is there a secret to getting roland to send me a new td-8 while I ship back the bad one???

Originally posted by HolShot:
                  I would recommend that you not power up the TD-8 anymore as it sounds like every time you do, it gets worse. You probably fried the headphone output amp. I would think that turnaround on that would be relatively quick. Quicker still, if Roland just sends you another head, rather than spend the money and time on the benchwork involved with fixing yours.

Bob

[This message has been edited by HolShot (edited August 12, 2001).]

Comment

is there a secret to getting roland to send me a new td-8 while I ship back the bad one???

Hey drumrjoe!

The guys on this board are gonna hate me for doing this, but I'm going to reveal the secret. Call Roland and ask. They will tell you what they can and can't do. We know you are agonizing over this, but at this point, all you are doing is postponing the inevitable. I'm sure everyone on this board dreads this type of thing happening. We feel your pain, but to torture yourself like this is nuts.

Good luck to you.
                    Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Nah, like Boingo said, you just need to call them and tell them you need to have some work done. You're gonna have to do it sooner or later! I'd say sooner is best.

Sorry dude, electrons happen...

Comment

Actually, you might try asking the guy from Roland if they would consider sending you a new brain so that you can use their box to send your's back to them. They might go for it if you offer to put the cost of the new brain on a charge card, which transaction they would not complete upon reciept of your damaged unit. It's a long shot, but who knows... take it for a ride and see where it takes you!

Comment

Working...
                        X