Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Saving Settings When Adding a TDW-1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saving Settings When Adding a TDW-1

Newbie question - I just received my TD-10 and the TDW-1 expansion card. Both are new and I have not created any custom kits on the TD-10 yet. The manual for the TDW-1 indicates that you need to save your settings to a memory card or perform a MIDI dump prior to installing the TDW-1 as all settings will be lost. They mention this several times in the manual. As I have never created any custom kits (yet) will I lose anything by upgrading with the TDW-1, (I want to make sure that the 50 default kits that exist on the TD-10 do not get toasted by installing the TDW-1, I should have 100 "factory" kits when it is upgraded). Has anyone performed the upgrade and can answer my question? Thanks in advance...

Use the Search function on this site to find threads on installing your TDW-1. In general, you won't lose the original 50 kits, they'll still be there. However, if you haven't saved them to a memory card, they will be a little harder to get to. There are a couple of great threads that walk you through expanding step by step.

Comment

I saved most of this from the last time this question was asked.

Suggestion: Do not be in a hurry to pop in the expansion card. Play with the original 50 kits and note the keepers in order of preference before installing the card. You only have immediate access to 50 kits, however, all 100 factory kits are stored in ROM. The kits you can dial in and play are "user kits". Those in ROM are "preset kits". So after the upgrade, you have to retrieve the 1st 50 TD-10 kits from ROM (one at a time) and overwrite one of the new user kits. Use the "copy" feature for this.

Pick the kits you want to overwrite. Go to TOOLS, COPY, on the top of the display you will see "kit to copy from" and on the bottom, "kit to copy to". Dial to the left until you see kits labeled TD-10... Select the (Preset) TD-10 kit you want to hear. On the bottom, select the User Kit you want to overwrite. Press COPY, EXEC and you're done. If you had a mem card, you could save your customized kits to the card or exchange from the card and brain.

Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

I have a new kit coming and I understand the advice about listening to the factory preset kits before installing the TDW-1 card. I've done a search and read several older posts but still have one question. Can you remove the TDW-1 card, and reinitialize the TD-10 so that the original factory specs and 50 preset kits are restored or once the TDW-1 is installed are the original kits permanently stored in ROM and only available by copying one at a time as explained in the posts above?
        Ron

Comment

Originally posted by MacDrumster:
          Can you remove the TDW-1 card, and reinitialize the TD-10 so that the original factory specs and 50 preset kits are restored or once the TDW-1 is installed are the original kits permanently stored in ROM and only available by copying one at a time as explained in the posts above?
          The latter. Removing the TDW-1 will cause problems. The only time you should remove one if is you have an installed older version (without V-cymbal control, etc.) and want to send it to Roland for the upgrade. When you get it back in that case you can reinstall it (once) without problem. Otherwise, removing a TDW-1 once installed is not a good idea.

Comment

Thanks for the quick response.
            Ron

Comment

To clarify: I performed the upgrade and all 100 kits, (the original 50 and the "new" 50) are available. You can only access or have fifty in active memory at one time. To dredge up any kit form the TD-10 or the TDW-1 use the tools - copy function and turn the roatry dial to access all 100 which are stored in ROM.

Comment

"Suggestion: Do not be in a hurry to pop in the expansion card. Play with the original 50 kits and note the keepers in order of preference before installing the card. You only have immediate access to 50 kits, however, all 100 factory kits are stored in ROM. The kits you can dial in and play are "user kits". Those in ROM are "preset kits". So after the upgrade, you have to retrieve the 1st 50 TD-10 kits from ROM (one at a time) and overwrite one of the new user kits. Use the "copy" feature for this."

I got a V-session kit a few days ago and I'm taking your advice about listening to the stock kits before adding the expansion card. If you save the factory preset kits to a memory card before installing the TDW-1 are the patterns saved with the kits? There have been a couple of posts about losing the old patterns when upgrading.

Speaking of patterns, I've read some older posts that say the patterns can only be turned off one at a time on individual kits and the manual seems to confim this. I was playing on a V-session kit in a store a few weeks ago and the salesperson asked me if I wanted the patterns turned off. He hit a couple of buttons and all of the patterns were turned off at the same time so when switching kits the patterns were no longer triggered when hitting the cymbal. If this feature is available, I can't find it. Any help?

[This message has been edited by MacDrumster (edited August 10, 2001).]
                Ron

Comment

Originally posted by MacDrumster:
                  [B If you save the factory preset kits to a memory card before installing the TDW-1 are the patterns saved with the kits? There have been a couple of posts about losing the old patterns when upgrading.[/B]
                  Yes. Not only that, they are saved in ROM too no matter what you do (short of damaging your unit). Whether you save to a memory card or not, they'll still be there, just harder to get at if not on a memory card, because you'll have to get to them one at a time, using copy and replacing stuff.

Now I heard rumors like you have, that the ugrade changes a few things on the original kits, some say it replaces the last few kits with different ones, etc. What I did was save all the original stuff to a memory card and then protect the card. After I loaded the TDW-1, I compared the memory card kits with the original kits (and their sounds) in ROM. I didn't find any difference but honestly, because the stuff I liked best clearly wasn't changed, I didn't look too hard.

Now there is thread here somewhere (use search) that goes over saving the original kits to a card, installing the upgrade, loading the memory card saved stuff back into the TD-10 to "bless" it and make it all fully take advantage of the TDW-1, etc. Find it, print it, and do that (after living with the original kits for a while and noting your favorite kits and sounds) if you are going to get or have a memory card.

Immediately after you upgrade, the new kits will be by default the user kits. If you have saved the original kits to a memory card, you can replace all the new user kits with all the original kits on the card with one command. And if you want to go back to all the new kits again, simply pull out the memory card and reinitialize the unit. Presto. Back to all new kits. You can do this over and over having all 50 new or old kits in the user area any time you want.

Where it starts to get tricky is when you start to make custom kits (which is highly recommended). When you do this, you probably don't want to overwrite all the kits in the user area with something else at one time, cause you want to save those customized ones. You will have a few choices involving bouncing things around.

You could get a second memory card to save only custom kits to, and keep everything else pretty much as out of the box, but it is not necessary.

My advice is play with all the kits and get familiar with them. Make all the changes you want to whatever kits you have in the user area. Learn to tweak the module. Play with and learn what all the settings do. Whatever you do, if you only fiddle with stuff in the user area, you can always restore it back like it was...until you start bouncing (copying/exchanging). Wait on that until you are ready. It will all make sense after you experiment for a while.

If you do the above, you can teach yourself the module, and how to use a memory card effectively. You won't "lose" anything but quite a bit of time. (You'll find yourself saying, "I've been sitting here for ____ hours? I can't believe it.")

Comment

Another thing that I didn't point out, but that I have been asked. Yes, you can take the snare sound from one of the original kits like Dr. Spin, and the kick sound from one of the new kits like Studio and put them together along with any other sounds from anwhere at all. No problem. You can then tweak them/create your own sounds and add that, etc., etc., etc.

As far as globally turning off patterns, I'm not sure. I originally turned off patters in most of the stock kits once the novelty wore off. Now I almost exclusively use the same few highly customized hybrid kits of my design. I have three or four for different feels of music (two really for the bulk of my original stuff). Each of the three or four have a few variations also (i.e. kildrum1, kildrum2, etc.).

Anyway, I'd suggest starting out as above. Once you're ready, and if you're interested, I also layer sounds from an Alesis drum machine, and trigger samples from an Akai sampler. I now have a TD-6 in addition to the TD-10ex and will be mixing the sounds of the two both side by side and simultaneously via additional pads and various "Y" cabling techniques.

Comment

You touched on some good points. You don't hear much about kit exchanges and almost never hear anything about copying single sounds, mixer or studio settings from one kit to another.

I will add that when you copy a snare from one kit to another, the mixer and studio sounds won't copy with it. You have to copy those two separately. I was puzzled when I first did this since the snare sounded completely different on both kits.

You can save or copy trigger settings as well. If you play someone else's kit as I do, that becomes an important part of getting their set to have the same feel/response as what you are familiar with.

Good posts Dr.
                      Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Hey, Doc. Once again, thanks for the great info and for your time in writing the explanation. You even answered a question that I hadn't asked yet concerning picking different sounds from different kits and making a new kit.

I don't know if others do this, but as I read posts and older threads, I bookmark the ones of interest that I may need to refer back to in the future. Saves a lot of time instead of doing searches. I've already saved the one about blessing the memory card because it looked interesting, although a little confusing until the card gets here and I can actually try it.
                        Ron

Comment

Thanks, Boingo. You raise another good point. You may really like for instance, that "TIGHT" snare, but copy it to a kit with very dissimilar effects/settings, and you may make it sound like crap.

You can copy or adjust the settings too. And while you can have different EQ and effects on each drum in a kit, you may want to remember to "balance" the overall sound of a kit to make it sound coherent. (Or maybe not.) Man, there's a lot you can do.

Anyway, thanks for thanks, Mac. You're gonna enjoy your TD-10 and TDW-1. Despite some things you may eventually wish they could do, they're pretty nifty gear. You've already got a great head start on understanding them, but I suspect you'll be discovering a lot more (like I still am) for quite some time.

Comment

Working...
                          X