Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Using V's at gig tonight! 1st time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using V's at gig tonight! 1st time

Well, these things have never been out of my apt. Tonights the night.I am runing one line out of my exp td10 to my JBL 15Pak, then out of that to the PA....any other quick tips?
    Roland V-Pro TD20 expanded with V Expressions
    Presonus Firepod
    Reaper
    Acoustic- Spaun drums, Dunnett snare & Paiste Signature Series Cymbals.

Tip - Just have Fun!! Sorry we didn't get to connect when I was in Phoenix, but I did get to sit inon a jam at Warsaw Willeys. Was nice to play an acoustic set for a little while, but it was great to get home to my VDrums. Small world - was in Guitar Center, and ran into GDrummer! We VDrummers are everywhere! Anyhow, be sure to let us know how the gig went. I've only used my 15PAK in church so far, but it's been plenty strong. Would love to try out the new JBL G2!
    Driving a great song is better than driving a great car!!

http://mysite.verizon.net/landin82/

Comment

So Steve... How'd it Go??????

Comment

YES, how did it go ?
        ~REDMAN~

Comment

Well, grab a six pack and I will tell ya a bit about it. I spent 75% of the night on one kit, the Backbeat kit. I also dabbled with an expanded fusion, rosewood and studio.I think for the most part things were fine. My bandmates all like and want me to keep experimenting with them.I will(some), its just a tough choice because my acoustic kit is a DW Collectors that just sings.A couple of items....
          1.My toms were dissapointing. This is because of my JBL 15 pak settings, as well as the amp placement. The toms were the biggest dissapointment to me. Iran out line out of the board to my amp, then a line from that to the P.A. That may be critiqued, but I am after simple..
          2.The ride cymbal and hat sounded great.The snare was alright, not the crack I am used to. I had thought my cymbal would be the biggest weakness. Nope. As expected the kick was fine.
          3.The different kits had different volumes. Any advice on streamlining that process would be great.
          4.I need Rubbermaid in a bad way. I have to get some type of case setup before this happens again. HMMM, might be a good project for today.

The issues I have on getting my amp and my kits tweaked for live performance is compounded by my living in an apartment. I can't use this amp until I am at the club next Saturday.The fact that the band liked them(they would certainly say so if otherwise), as well as the audience is very encouraing to me. I am the most critical and that should be expected.
          Thanks so much for the interest you guys. I hope all is well in your world.....SG
          Presonus Firepod
          Reaper

Comment

Glad it worked out for ya ,man ....

~REDMAN~
            ~REDMAN~

Comment

Hey Steve,
              Did you check out the website that I posted on the Product page about rubbermaid cases.
              If you didn't......... look at www.zag.co.il. Look under the Professional area, tool chest. These cases are made well and you can find some of them at Lowes or Home Depot. Read the last post I made on that page. What was the problem with your toms? My experience with my band was about the same as yours. They all like the vdrums, but I'm always thinking that there is something that I need to do to make the v's sound better. Even if there isn't.

[This message has been edited by Tom Berry (edited November 19, 2000).]

Comment

1.My toms were dissapointing. This is because of my JBL 15 pak settings, as well as the amp placement. The toms were the biggest dissapointment to me.
                2.The snare was alright, not the crack I am used to. I had thought my cymbal would be the biggest weakness. Nope. As expected the kick was fine.
                3.The different kits had different volumes. Any advice on streamlining that process would be great.
                4.I need Rubbermaid in a bad way. I have to get some type of case setup before this happens again. HMMM, might be a good project for today.
                [/B]
                1. What disappointed you about the toms? When I started playing with a slightly tweaked "rosewood" kit thet guys in my band said, "Can you make them any dirtier? They sound TOO perfect." I switched over to the edgy toms (I think) and everyones happy.

2. I was dissapointed with the snare as well... the cymbals got raves from everyone in the place though. (expanded TD-10 of course)

3.Streemlinging volumes amounts to playing through a p.a. and adjusting levels either at the instrument lever through the mixer, or on a kit lever with the drum output volume. Currently I have 3 kits tweaked for p.a., and three for headphones, and I've adjusted the volumes through the mixer so that the sliders are all-the-way-up.

all in all it sounds like you had fun... which IS the point!

rus

------------------
                remember kids; Musician's Friend, BAD ... www.riksmusic.com, GOOD
                \oo/_ :mad: _\oo/

Comment

Hey Rus what are the settings for P.A. vs headphones . Would like to try the P.A. settings vs the headphone settings when I record using cakewalk .That's if they are any different than what I am allready using. Maybe someone can upload a few kits to the patches part of this forum .
                  ~REDMAN~
                  ~REDMAN~

Comment

Originally posted by redman:
                    Hey Rus what are the settings for P.A. vs headphones . Would like to try the P.A. settings vs the headphone settings when I record using cakewalk .That's if they are any different than what I am allready using. Maybe someone can upload a few kits to the patches part of this forum .
                    ~REDMAN~
                    There's no one thing I do to make things sound good through the p.a., you just have to experiment. For example, I liked the preset kick drum called "Meat" when playing through the headphones. For live (p.a.) application, I took the "Meat" kick and lowered the pitch quite a bit, but then added some 5K and 8K eq to make it really slap... (it's an engineer's trick to make thin kicks sound full and powerful. Now it sounds like a big 26"+ kick.

Also when playing through the headphones, I have to turn the cymbals down in the mixer section, but through our p.a. I left 'em loud cause they sounded great...

Little stuff like that. Another trick we're probably going to employ is an outboard eq for the whole kit

rus
                    \oo/_ :mad: _\oo/

Comment

Thanks for all of the feedback. I know it sounds lazy, but I do not want to add any more mixers, or people, or time to this equation My situation is this...we need to get to the gig, set up relatively fast and nail things down. For the most part, we do that. We have been aparty/bar band/corporate band since the 1970's.So, when I decide to add Vdrums, I have to do it very efficiently.I just need to get things dialed in. I guess time will do that. My toms sounde3d muddy. That was probably just in the JBL, not in the P.A. I want to get my kits consistent. Meaning, when I go from Backbeat to Fusion, things are the same relative volume, etc.....time will fix this....Thanks again, SG
                      Presonus Firepod
                      Reaper

Comment

Hey all, hope things are going well for all of you. Wll, last night was night two with my V Pros live.The audience loves them, my band mates are supportive, but I have still having difficulties. To be more speicfic, they revolve around my EQ on the kits and the EQ I am getting from my 15 pak.
                        I am using the Backbeat, Dr Spin, Rosewood and the Custom kits. My biggest problem seems to be with the toms still. I can't get consistency between the kits. It seems the toms are really hard for me to balance. I have spent alot of time with the onboard EQ, I have played with the JBL and I am still having difficulties.The cymbals, snare and kick sound great through the amp. On an up note, I hear that things sound great through the P.A....It just seems that I am constantly turning things up, then turning things downThese constant EQ issues are starting to wear on me. Any ideas? Thanks
                        Presonus Firepod
                        Reaper

Comment

If it sounds great through the pa, you must be doing something right. In my experience, you may have to live with less than optimum sound for yourself (the same thing sometimes happens with acoustic drums, also).

As far as turning things up and down, I find myself doing the same thing, especially snare and toms. Midi dynamics, IMHO, are the achilles heel of the V-Drums. We can get sort of soft to sort of loud, while our bandmates can get real soft and REAL loud. I haven't figured any solution, except turn up/turn down.

As long as your pa sound is good, you're about 80% done. Try not to be so hard on yourself and take your time fixing your stage sound. Pat yourself on the back for a job well done, so far.

One last thing: I use the same toms and kick on every kit for the reasons you list.

I hope you don't think I'm the voice of gloom and doom. I really love my TD-10, and e-drums are just going to keep getting better and better.......

Jay
                          jg52

Comment

I am a firm believer in having someone else help dial your kit in, sonically speaking. The problem is that when you play you concentrate on playing and in order to adjust the sound you really need to be playing as you will during a performance. Plus the sound needs to be evaluated from the audiences perspective, not from the drum throne.

Comment

"I do not want to add any more mixers, or people, or time to this equation ... we need to get to the gig, set up relatively fast and nail things down ... party/bar band/corporate band since the 1970's ... I have to do it very efficiently. I just need to get things dialed in."

Steve, I am in an identical situation. Furthermore, my band does not have the luxury of a sound man. So, we are trying to match stage volume with house volume hoping adjustments on stage are reflected out front.

I have not tried this yet, but I'm hoping to run some ear buds out of my headphone output at a low volume. My goal is to mix some of that sweet sound coming from the headphone output with the stage sound. This should improve the overall sound of the drums from the throne, while lowering stage volume.

Comments from anyone with experience using in-ear monitors would be appreciated. I am aware of the potential for hearing loss problems if the ear pieces are too loud, but I intend to run them pretty low ... just enough to sweeten the sound a bit.

Sam

Comment

Working...
                              X