Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Rack Alterations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rack Alterations

I remembering seeing a post where they talked about putting 1/4" jacks on the rack and running the wires inside of the rack. Sounded like an awesome DIY project. I went to radio to check it out. Well i figured it would cost me too damn much so i said i'll make it work. All i did was drill small holes in my rack where each trigger is. I cut the cable at one end and put it throught the rack. This takes time if you screw up. But the end result was worth it. No more cables dangling over the rack. Plus there protected inside. Obviously once you route the cables all the way to the brain you have to re-conncect all the cables. Also check to make sure you have slack and that you can move the rack without messing the cables up. Don't try and route the cables through the clamps. It will limit movement greatly. Instead you have to "jump" from one piece to another. So has anyone tried this method.
    Ps. watch the aluminum shavings.
    TD-10

Correct me if I'm wrong, but what is the problem with using those ties that come with Trash Bags. Of course, I mean the dark ones with the teeth and the hole in the middle, and not just any 'ol twisty-tie. Using a twisty-tie would be tacky
    :rolleyes:

Comment

Well the idea is to conceal the cables. Plus it makes setup and tear down a hell of lot faster. Not to mention it protects the cables.
      TD-10

Comment

Is there going to be any problem with the (possibly) sharp edges of your drilled holes cutting through the cabling? Or did you put a rubber wiring grommet in each hole?
        Steve

'I only ever quote myself - except when I quote someone else' - me

, plenty of , and , , triggered acoustics, , and a plethora of PA blah blah freakin blah...I mean does anyone care about the specifics of pedals, speakers, processors, hardware or anything that I'm using?? :confused: Hmmm, maybe this is an appropriate place to mention that I tried out a new cymbal stand the other day...

Comment

Had i actually done this operation before i probably would have, but no i didn't. I recommend in doing so. You can do it without, just be carefull. To my surprise the insulation on the wires is mighty thick. So they can take a little beating.
          TD-10

Comment

An additional solution somewhere in between drilling holes and twistie ties is to run all the cables through some split flexible conduit and then fasten the conduit to the rack with the ties. This creates like a snake (about 20mm dia.) with short lengths of lead hanging out at intervals.

For me this was 'neater' than the ties but more flexible than the drilling.

Just another option (previously discussed!)

Andy
            Andy
            TD-20, Pair of JBL-Eon15 G2's & Sub

Check out the demo tracks to hear my V's at

http://www.thebrokenangelband.co.uk/

Comment

Another option is the Cable Organizer,page 14 of the American Musical Supply catalog. www.americanmusical.com. It's ten feet by 1" black plastic flexible tubing. I have one running along the top of the rack,and one for the Hi-hat and bass pedals. Not as neat as driling, but cheap and fast 12 bucks.

Comment

Personally, I used heat shrink tubing. Came out with that whole professionally done sort of look.
                Steve

, plenty of , and , , triggered acoustics, , and a plethora of PA blah blah freakin blah...I mean does anyone care about the specifics of pedals, speakers, processors, hardware or anything that I'm using?? :confused: Hmmm, maybe this is an appropriate place to mention that I tried out a new cymbal stand the other day...

Comment

Originally posted by Steveo the Devo:
                  Personally, I used heat shrink tubing. Came out with that whole professionally done sort of look.
                  Do you have any pics that you could post or mail Steveo . . I'm not sure that I'm familiar with this product?
                  Andy
                  TD-20, Pair of JBL-Eon15 G2's & Sub

Check out the demo tracks to hear my V's at

http://www.thebrokenangelband.co.uk/

Comment

I'll see what I can scratch up in the way of photos, stay posted.
                    I bought the heat shrink from my local Autobarn store, I'm sure Repco and Autopro etc stock it too. A company called Narva makes the stuff in different diameters and lengths (and colours). You just thread your cables through it and heat it up with a hair dryer. The tubing shrinks in size and wraps the cables all hunky dory. It looks like your typical multicore snake. I cut the cables down to size so that only minimal cable hangs out to go to the necessary pads. A little bit more work that the plastic conduit but much sexier (in my opinion).
                    Steve

Comment

Here's a link to Space Muffin's Integrated Rack system, it's alot like what you're talking about. http://www.boomtheory.com/Space/Rack.html
                      Drumkat Turbo 4.5, Emulator X3, Superior 2.1, Roland Fantom XR, DTXtreme III, SPD-20 etc.......

Comment

Working...
                      X