Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

ddrum Soundfont demo MP3 here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ddrum Soundfont demo MP3 here!

Hi all
    I'm a V-Drum user and wanted to check out some of the highly acclaimed ddrum fonts, so I started building a soundfont from the available D. Chamber samples (I liked the Toms). Here is a MP3 of that soundfont. I didn't use all of the samples when building this font as I wanted to get some feedback before spending too much time on it.

This was my first soundfont. I still have some fine tuning to do on the Hi-Hat and Cymbals and am anxious to hear what you all say about the realism of the kit. I truely hear\feel a difference when playing this kit...not sure how the real ddrums compare but I can only assume they sound better but feel worse (or different anyway).

I'll try to get the actual font posted in the next few days and if you like it, I'll do more ddrum fonts ..Any requests?
    http://members.home.net/wblack03/Bills%20Place.htm

Fonting...... Good Fonting

------------------
    ~REDMAN~
    ~REDMAN~

Comment

Your MP3 sounds ok

Except for the snare drum, it seems to me that the left and right part are out of phase.
      Music was my first love...

Comment

Originally posted by redman:
        Fonting...... Good Fonting

I Font-ed on a set of ddrums one time...very embarrasing...

Comment

Creating sound fonts is a pain, isn't it?

Good job so far, keep it up. It's always good to have extra options, though they do sound a bit like the Blue Jay series from Sonic Implants...different snare, but the toms are similar.

I've found that once a kit is mapped properly (in the brain to the right notes), soundfonts can be usable. Like I said...not better, but different than what you can get on the v-drums proper.

Thanks for the work...let us know when it is done.

redbrick
          My Updated Website: https://blades.technology

Comment

Thanks for the feedback folks, please post new comments in the "DC ddrum soundfont here" post..above.

You can get the Soundfont here: http://members.home.net/wblack03/Bills%20Place.htm

MPCman,
            The snare samples were kinda thin to begin with. Let me know if your hearing something else.

Redbrick,
            Now that I have a templet, I could probably do 1-2 full ddrum fonts in a days time..if I wanted to, that is.

Regarding quality ...The ddrum samples are 6-7 large samples per drum. As for natural drum sounds, I just don't hear this kind of quality from my TD10exp. After playing these samples for a while, most of the TD10exp samples sounded weak in my opinion.

It would be great if Roland put larger samples\more velocity zones on an expansion card. Can they?

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Snills:
              As for natural drum sounds, I just don't hear this kind of quality from my TD10exp.
              What you say ...
              Robert

Comment

> What you say ...

Yeah...
                I thought you be popping up here soon.

Hey, Can you download the midi file at my site and play it through your ddrum4 with the Dennis Chambers samples loaded and record it to MP3 and send it to me?

I would think that some of your ddrum 3 buddies would be interested in this stuff.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Snills:

Hey, Can you download the midi file at my site and play it through your ddrum4 with the Dennis Chambers samples loaded and record it to MP3 and send it to me?
                  No problem! How do you turn on a personal computer?

(I don't know how to record that for you, never use a sequencer and I don't have proper inputs on my soundcard to record ddrum sounds for you)
                  Robert

Comment

Snills,

Don't get me wrong...I do appreciate the work you put into this, but I have to say that comparing some of my own "kits" on the td-10exp to this was an exercise in futility. These sounded great until I played the td-10 with the same midi files. Sorry, but the v-drums win against this sound font for ME. And that's without any processing, which I do via the DSP Factory (compression, EQ, verb, etc).

redbrick

Comment

Don't get me wrong...

redbrick

No problem Redbrick,
                      I shelled out the cash for the V-session... There's nothing I would love more, then to hear the TD10exp produce more realistic\natural sounding drums then what I'm hearing. Please, would you mind downloading the midi file at my site and recording the sounds your talking about so I can get a feel for what you guys like. Or send me your Kits.

It really comes down to personal opinion. But for those of us who hear the ddrums sounding more natural, I'd like to keep working on it.

Bill

Comment

Herein lies the problem, I suppose.

Your midi file sounds better with your SF2, but my programmed midi files sound better with the TD-10...if that's what I programmed them with...we play different things based on what the drums sound like as we whack them. This was also demonstrated at the Atlanta Guitar Center vdrums clinic, when Steve "recorded" some licks and then played them back on different kits. They sounded terrible on almost all but the kit they were played on.

redbrick

Comment

Redbrick,
                          Good point, I agree that one would adjust his\her playing to the kit.

Any chance you'd want to record yourself playing your set(s). I am really interested in this experiment.

Bill

Comment

Working...
                          X