Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Weird tom sound on td10exp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird tom sound on td10exp?

Has anyone using the td10exp noticed a strange ringing kinda of echo sound when hitting to two toms simultaneously. When I hit each tom alone they are very clean but I can hear a weird digital ring when I hit two at the same time. I've already tried removing all the effects and I still hear it. I find it most pronounced on the stage toms. Any input?

-drumlogic
    -Drumlogic, V-session, Visulite/roland cymbals, (2)Mackie srm-450's, bbe 482 sonic maximizer,

I tried it and got a little ring but couldn't get it consistantly. It was only on the #3 and 4 toms and was almost as if it were related to positional sensing since the only time I got it was when one was struck off center. It sure wasn't enought to worry about. Settings like EQ, muffle, head tension, compression, etc, could also have a lot to do with it. I think a little of it is a by product of COSM too.

Acoustic toms ring and do so to the point where it becomes a never ending quest to stifle it. I read where this is counterproductive. The audience doesn't hear it like the drummer does. Getting rid of it tends to lose projection and give them that cardboard sound. Of course the snare buzz they produce is what drives you nuts. You don't have the snare buzz problem so I say, let them ring.

I don't know what you're hearing so maybe I'm treating it too lightly. Is it so bad that it stands out in a recording or while playing with other musicians? My guess is you are the only one who notices it and that is only when playing without accompaniment. With other musicians, playing to patterns/CD's, even in a drum solo, it would have to be very pronounced to notice.
    Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

It's interesting you just brought this up. I've just started hearing something similar but only on my snare pad. Only, it doesn't happen when I hit two pads at the same time although it may be when I hit the rim and mesh pad simultaneously (aka rim shot), I don't really know yet as I haven't had time to try and track it down. Like your experience though, it seems to only happen when striking the pad slightly off center. Hopefully, I can attend to this problem this week. Until then, I'll keep checking in here to see if anyone else has experienced this and resolved the problem.

Comment

actually, my problem is not so sensitive to positional sensing, I could hit the two toms dead center and they still ring. I have no problem with toms ringing but this is not an acoustic drum kinda ring, it is a synthetic digital kinda ring and sounds very unnatural. I am probably the only one who can hear it but I really notice it now and actually avoid hitting to two toms together during band rehearsal so my band members wont hear it. I really like the stage toms and dont wanna muffle or change them. Is this normal on all the td10exp's out there?

-drumlogic
        -Drumlogic, V-session, Visulite/roland cymbals, (2)Mackie srm-450's, bbe 482 sonic maximizer,

Comment

Originally posted by drumlogic:
          Has anyone using the td10exp noticed a strange ringing kinda of echo sound when hitting to two toms simultaneously. When I hit each tom alone they are very clean but I can hear a weird digital ring when I hit two at the same time. I've already tried removing all the effects and I still hear it. I find it most pronounced on the stage toms. Any input?

-drumlogic
          A guy I know who knows sound and tech stuff says it's because Roland used the same sample for both sounds... they're sorta meshing and clashing and that creates the wierd phase distortion sound you hear.

------------------
          \oo/_ _\oo/

[This message has been edited by rus (edited July 30, 2001).]
          \oo/_ :mad: _\oo/

Comment

rus, thanx I had a feeling that was the reason why. Phase distortion would definitly describe it. I may have to mix up my toms with a few diffent kinds.

-drumlogic

Comment

BTW....I noticed a similar effect when using two of the same exact sounds on two different triggers and hitting them simultaneously. Splash and crash cymbals seem to really do this alot. It must be because they(the toms) are the same sample just at a different pitch or something.

-drumlogic

Comment

I wander if it's a TD-10 issue. I have not seen this on the TD-8.

------------------
                szvook
                Studio

Comment

Originally posted by drumlogic:
                  It must be because they(the toms) are the same sample just at a different pitch or something.
                  I couldn't reproduce the ringing you describe, but most of the tom "sets" do use only one sample. Personally, I was disappointed to realize that my 200+ tom sounds amount to only 30 or 40 samples. It's just plain misleading.
                  Roland TD-20 v1.08, various v-drums and v-cymbals, Yamaha KP65's, Axis pedals, Gibraltar hardware, Mackie 1202/SRM450 (pre-china)

Comment

your right it is misleading. Can someone with a td-10(exp) try this, I wanna know if this is "normal"?

-drumlogic

Comment

Working...
                    X