Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Distorted Sound from TD-10exp.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distorted Sound from TD-10exp.

I have had my v-pro set now for 17 months, TD-10 EXP, and never encountered a problem. I began to play the other day and noticed a lot of destortion comming from the speakers.
    Here is my delima:
    I changed one of my cymbal sounds to the "thunder" sound and lowered the bass for that pad to give it some depth. The lower the sound the worse the distortion. I was running my drums through my home stereo sys. as I have done many times with no problems. At first, I assumed the problem was my speakers inability to handle the lower sound. I was wrong. My speakers are fine. I wasn't using my headphones at the time so I played with them on to attempt to isolated it at the TD-10exp. It was more distorted in my phones than the speakers! I continued to try to isolate the problem by switching cords from pads and changing pads out. to no avail my problem remained. Thinking it may just be the cymbal out that was bad, I changed all my pads to the same "thunder" setting and lowered the bass to see. Every stinking pad is distorted and I don't know why!! I think something is majorly screwed up in my TD-10exp. I haven't changed any settings or tweaked anything. The only thing I did was turn down the base for each individual pad to try and duplicate the problem and I did. I should be able to turn the base all the way down and not get any distortion! It happens on the "bomb" sound as well. As a matter of fact, any low tone even from toms and my kick is distorted. Now I have BABIED my kit to the point that my wife if jealous of my affection to it. I have never bumped, dropped, spilled drinks on, kicked or otherwise cursed any portion of my kit, especially the TD-10exp., for any reason!! Every time I move her, it's slow and easy. What gives?? Does anyone have any suggestions? The guy I talked to at Roland had no idea and didn't offer any suggestions either! What planet are they from anyway? As much as I put into this kit, it shouldn't be breaking down on me already! I need help!! And, some words of wisdom would go a long way as well. Thanks

------------------

How about a clarification here. Is it just these sounds that are distorting? Are are all your regular drum sounds distorting too?

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Eaves:
      Now I have BABIED my kit to the point that my wife if jealous of my affection to it. I have never bumped, dropped, spilled drinks on, kicked or otherwise cursed any portion of my kit, especially the TD-10exp., for any reason!! Every time I move her, it's slow and easy. What gives?? Does anyone have any suggestions?
      Hmmmmm, this could be a couple things...

Has your wife suddenly started walking around with a big grin that won't go away? Can she account for her whereabouts just before you noticed your TD's strange behavior?

Perhaps your TD (gulp, dare I say it?) longs for a real man. One who takes charge and slaps her around when she needs it instead of constantly ***** footing around and pampering her. Sometimes they are like that you know. Try getting a little rough with her.

Sorry mate, that's all I can come up with right now.
      Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

You may have to adjust the trigger settings for the lower end sounds so that you don't peak the trigger signal. Also since you lower the sound you may have to change some EQ settings. I am betting you are peaking the trigger input. If you can try your brain on a bigger PA to see if it is still there, also use your preview button and see if the problem still is there. I had a simular problem on my toms and fixed it with a sensitivity setting also the volume may just need to be turned down on those sounds. My cymbal sounds are louder than alot of my other sounds. I hope these help. One can only try.

------------------
        Ted H.
        www.tocsinrocks.com
        Ted H.

Comment

If headphones and speakers are doing it, and they both play fine using other sound sources, it would seem the problem is in the unit or with the settings. If you have a memory card or are able to do a sysex dump of your data, I'd save my kits and reinitialize. If it's still doing it, settings are not your problem. Time to consider sending it out for repair.
          Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

I noticed a similar problem a few weeks back. It turned out be exactly what Stixx777 mentioned, some of my toms and all my cymbals were peaking out. Not all the time, mind you...but enough to make it really annoying. I re-adjusted the sensitivity and had to re-mix, but that took care of the problem. Give it a whirl and let us know the outcome.

Comment

Thanks for the humor Boingo. Thanks to all you guys for the input. I'll try some of your suggestions tonight and let you know the outcome tomorrow. I tried my preview button and it still came out distorted. I'll try rebooting the system and see what happens.

Comment

Working...
              X