Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

TD-8 Outputs (again)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD-8 Outputs (again)

I know that this has been discussed previously, 'cause I've done the search!

I just wondered whether through experimenting people are still doing the same things. Or whether there are any other schools of thought out there.

There are many options for sending signals from the TD8-outputs: Two of which I've identified below:

Option 1 (Kosmic Kat)

Snare = Master Out (panned hard right)
    Cymbals = Master Out (panned hard left)
    Kick = Direct Out Left (panned?)
    Toms = Direct Out Right (Panned?)

This option allows you to keep internal reverb settings on Snare & Cymbals

Option 2 (Svook & Schmunk)

Toms = Master Out
    Cymbals = Master Out
    Kick = Direct Out Left
    Toms = Direct Out Right

This option allows you to keep internal effects & ambience settings & stereo feed on Toms & Cymbals (kick & snare in mono)

I'm more inclined to go with Option 2 so that I can pan the toms from L to R. The guy who's doing the recording (this is quite an amateur affair . . . only for a demo of covers) has asked for separate feeds for the kick and snare . . .'and the rest cam come together'.

I just wondered whether you guys (particularly Svook, Schmunk and Kosmic) had developed things any further with the TD-8 Output assignment.

Any further tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Andy
    Andy
    TD-20, Pair of JBL-Eon15 G2's & Sub

Check out the demo tracks to hear my V's at

http://www.thebrokenangelband.co.uk/

I've pretty much stuck to my rig the way I mentioned earlier and as you indicated - option 2, that seems to work for me quite well. I have not played around with anything else recently and probably will not for now.

------------------
    szvook
    Studio

Comment

Cheers Svook,

You seem to be well acquanited with the TD8 interfacing with other items and so I value your opinion.

Just a point of clarification: I'll be going with Option 2 straight from the TD8 to the desk.

With the masters, do I need to Pan the instruments at all? (I assume not)

My understanding is that in order to retain the panning of the individual toms & cymbals, I'll send all toms and all cymbals to MAS, and EQ them as a whole at the desk.

Do I understand correct?

Thanks again Svook.
      Andy
      TD-20, Pair of JBL-Eon15 G2's & Sub

Check out the demo tracks to hear my V's at

http://www.thebrokenangelband.co.uk/

Comment

Record everything via midi, then you can play back every instrument alone and record those on audio tracks, so you will have an audio track for each instrument.
        Music was my first love...

Comment

Originally posted by Oz DrumR:
          Cheers Svook,

You seem to be well acquanited with the TD8 interfacing with other items and so I value your opinion.

Just a point of clarification: I'll be going with Option 2 straight from the TD8 to the desk.

With the masters, do I need to Pan the instruments at all? (I assume not)

My understanding is that in order to retain the panning of the individual toms & cymbals, I'll send all toms and all cymbals to MAS, and EQ them as a whole at the desk.

Do I understand correct?

Thanks again Svook.
          With the master outs, pan the left output hard left at the deck and same principle for the right output, this way you will get the panning the way you want in stereo. Then adjust the panning further internally per instrument if desired.

As far as EQ at the deck and further tweaks go, that is based on your music style.

For me I found the suitable result in setting your deck EQ at 12 o’clock and working with the sounds internally first to get a good feel for what can be achieved by tweaking the sounds in V-edit and the pitch with decay for other sounds. Since toms and hat/cymbals are sharing two deck channels, the EQ will play a factor at the deck so I would try to come up with a good mix for your toms, hat, crashes and ride internally and then tweak the EQ at the deck. If you are using the TD-8’s internal EQ then play it by ear with the deck’s EQ to compensate or vise versa.

------------------
          szvook
          Studio

Comment

Yes, I went out and bought the TD-10exp
            which give me the min number of outputs I needed.I just got sick of trying to fiddle around with the outputs on the TD-8.I could not beleive how much better the TD-10exp sounded when compaired to my TD-8.Anyway That was the last setting I used on the TD-8.Same settings as you posted in your message.Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Kosmic Kat:
              I could not beleive how much better the TD-10exp sounded when compaired to my TD-8.

Say what!!!

Better how?

------------------
              szvook
              Studio

Comment

Working...
              X