Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Am I confusing sensitivity with fragility???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I confusing sensitivity with fragility???

I am wondering if anyone has any horror stories with playing hard on a pd-100/pd-120. How much abuse can these triggers take. Will I lose sensitivity over time if I play them hard?
    -Drumlogic, V-session, Visulite/roland cymbals, (2)Mackie srm-450's, bbe 482 sonic maximizer,

Originally posted by drumlogic:
    I am wondering if anyone has any horror stories with playing hard on a pd-100/pd-120. How much abuse can these triggers take. Will I lose sensitivity over time if I play them hard?
    These things are made to be beat with a stick. They can take a fair amount of hard playing. You need to worry about damage caused by a loosly tuned head more than anything. I don't recall any horror stories on the PD-100 and 120. I have read about problems with the PD-7 and 9.
    Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by feefer:
      Hi all,
      Also, you don't have to play as hard as with acoustics. I play them with less force, since you don't have to hit as hard to project (part of the benefit of e's).

Chris
      I still find myself hitting harder in an attempt to gain more volume. I am most guilty of smacking my snare harder in the live arena when I can't hear it, or I feel the band is losing the groove.

------------------
      \oo/_ gotta find a new face _\oo/
      \oo/_ :mad: _\oo/

Comment

Gentlepersons of all stripes and persuasions,

Since I got the expansion card for my TD-10, I'm no longer hitting very hard, because it's wasting the dynamic range of the drums.

Much better to set up with lots of sensitivity, and lots of volume, and play easy on the pads. Then you can really throw in a hard hit and voila - dynamic range like an acoustic kit!

Maybe just me, but I couldn't seem to do this with the nonexpanded card, it was too difficult to play softly with an even volume.

Play gently, but carry the lignum magnum
        Immensely powerful yet with a liquid cat-quick elegance

Comment

chris,

I agree that playing v-drums hard is not required, but I sometimes get lost in the music and find myself playing harder than needed. Im curious about the blue cone you've mentioned. What is its purpose. Is it the actual reciever that will sense position on the mesh head. How durable are they and are they easily replacable?

-drumlogic
          -Drumlogic, V-session, Visulite/roland cymbals, (2)Mackie srm-450's, bbe 482 sonic maximizer,

Comment

Way too much info on this subject(s) - try a search for "Blue cone".

------------------
            szvook
            Studio

Comment

gingerbaker (not *the* ...? $^),

you might try using one of the EXP response curves to play evenly at lower volumes and still get loudness on hard hits. The exp function is made to do that (which is the opposite of the LOG function, which has a wider dynamic range for soft hits, and flattens out the response for harder strikes).

Comment

Working...
              X