Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Gibralter Drum Rack Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibralter Drum Rack Questions

I just got a Gibralter rack used off of eBay and have some questions. Do I need to stuff the tubes with packing peanuts? All the tubes or just the tubes stuff is mounted on. The rack is the older kind with the fold out(triangle) legs on the back legs. Is the rack sturdy enough to support all my V stuff without major crosstalk problems. I used to use the Gibralter cage for my acoustic set so I know it will take the wieght. The rack has no braces for any of the sections will the T-Clamps and the memory lock be enough? I will be putting a V-Session style kit(inputs maxed) with a Visu-Lite China and SPD-11 and 3 more triggers.(for crashes in the future) Do I need the 2 cross tubes on each section like the V rack? I know there are some threads on this but I don't have time to check them all out. Thanks for all the help in advance.

------------------
    Ted H.
    www.tocsinrocks.com
    Ted H.

Originally posted by Stixx777:
    ... I know there are some threads on this but I don't have time to check them all out.

I suggest you make the time my friend. With this attitude you're lucky I am responding. You're looking for a free ride. Come on, make some effort.

-Marc.

Comment

I looked and still did not find the answers I wanted. I remembered reading stuff about the gibralter rack but did not pay much attention to it since I was happy with my Roland rack. The answers I want are all over the forum but I don't have time to look around alot. I am not being lazy it is that for the next few weeks spare time will be rare and I really want to use the little free time I will have to either practice or re-setup my kit with the new rack. I bought it used so it needs a major cleaning job sucking up more time that I don't have. I am a little excited about the new rack so I am sorry if I am in a big hurry. I just want to do it right the first time. I don't want to set it up and have a lot of new problems that I don't have now, and have to tear it all down and start all over. I know I have no time to set it up twice.

------------------
      Ted H.
      www.tocsinrocks.com
      Ted H.

Comment

I had two original Space Muffin toms (heavy!), two 16" crashes, one splash, one Paiste 20" Bright Ride, a set of chimes and a clamp for my mic boom stand on mine. Never had a problem and I used this configuration for 2 years, both part and full time (mostly one nighters). I wouldn't worry about it holding up. Tough stuff.

Jay
        jg52

Comment

I am not worried about them holding as much as the crosstalk problem. My Acoustic kit used the cage and was HUGE 11pcs with 10 cymbals.

------------------
          Ted H.
          www.tocsinrocks.com
          Ted H.

Comment

Get a few cans of spray foam insulation and go to town.

I have the Road Series rack with a full SpaceMuffins kit, a complete set of acoustic cymbals w/ counterweighted arms, (even a Zildjain 22" Z mega bell ride - SUPER HEAVY), etc... I have not sprayed any foam in the tubes (yet) and really have no x-talk problems....and I am using a ddrum4 which can trigger fly schite landing on my snare.

Erik

Comment

You don't *have* to dampen the tubes, but it does help a bit. It won't completely eliminate crosstalk, however. There are other (probably more effective) ways to do it than packing popcorn -- sep mentioned spray foam (might be messy) and I've also seen commercial tube insulation which consists of a foam tube which you stuff inside your steel tube. That sounds like it would work better than packing popcorn. As for which tubes to stuff, personally I did the whole rack (more or less). I also found that replacing the stock plastic end-caps with rubber stoppers helped a lot.

I find that my only real crosstalk problem is with the cymbals, but the problem can be mitigated by raising threshold to 3 or 4 on the crash cymbals (I keep the ride lower, maybe 1 or 2) and applying a minimal crosstalk setting (20) to the cymbals and toms. A little crosstalk is not really a big problem -- I don't even notice it while playing. What really bothers me is when I'm trying to select a pad by hitting it (for editing or messing with trigger settings) and the vibrations result in a completely different pad selected. Now *that* is a b1tch.
              Roland TD-20 v1.08, various v-drums and v-cymbals, Yamaha KP65's, Axis pedals, Gibraltar hardware, Mackie 1202/SRM450 (pre-china)

Comment

Should I use my V tubes with the Gibralter clamps and T's? All my cymbal mounts are already using Gibralter rack clamps.

------------------
                Ted H.
                www.tocsinrocks.com
                Ted H.

Comment

Originally posted by Stixx777:
                  Should I use my V tubes with the Gibralter clamps and T's? All my cymbal mounts are already using Gibralter rack clamps.

I would... just for the color issue.

------------------
                  \oo/_ gotta find a new face _\oo/
                  \oo/_ :mad: _\oo/

Comment

Working...
                  X