Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

feel and pad noise questions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• feel and pad noise questions?

I have been looking to purchase an e-set mainly for practice. I have been going back and forth between the V-Club and the V-Custom. bells and whistles are of no concern to me , but feel and pad noise are. For those who have tried the V-Club set and the V-Custom set, please tell me about the feel and also the pad noise of the pads. I realize that a rubber pad is not going to feel like a real drum, so does it feel basically like a practice pad, and also create the stick noise and rebound of a practice pad or are they different? Also , I have read here that the mesh heads on the V-Customs are way to bouncy to even play parradiddles. That doesn't sound to me like duplicating the feel of real drums. So how do the V-Custom pads feel and also how much pad noise do they create? And can the tension on the pads be adjusted to get the correct rebound desired. Also, modules aside, do the mesh heads of the V-Customs feel that superior to the rubber pads as to be nearly twice the price? Basically, any and all input on the V-Club and V-Custom pads is appreciated.

Originally posted by studioVjeff:
    This old post may help.......
    Didn't find anything about feel on pads there.

1. real headed pads play best but have the most noise. Compare it with a Remo practice pad.

2. mesh headed pads are the most quiet, but you will have to like (or learn to feel comfortable) with the bouncing surface. In a way you can take away the trampoline effect by turning the head very tight. And then you even can practice paradiddles.

3. rubber pads are a sort of in between. They have an average noise (pok pok) and feel. Can be great for practice. There are many sorts of rubber so the rebound can vary. For me (personal) the mesh headed pads aren't twice better the rubber pads, so from this the price isn't rectifized

Just give all those pads a try.
    Robert

Comment

I have found the looser the head, the less bounce. Make sure you have enough tension to protect the sensor. I personaly love the V heads. I would also highly reccomend the larger "pro" pads. It feels more like a real kit. The Custom footprint is too small.

Comment

Originally posted by funkymotor:

please tell me about... so does it feel basically like... or are they different? So how do the... and also how much... And can the... do the mesh heads... Basically, any and all input on the V-Club and V-Custom pads is appreciated.
        Some like customs, some like club, some like V-pro's, some like rubber pads, some like noise, some can play parradiddles and... Of course there are opposites and variations out there for all of these things.

Most of what you ask is subjective. Bottom line is you have to try and decide before you buy.

Of course we all think our opinions count more than others because we are V-drum experts, Right men (and nellie)!?

In general, Putt made some good comments. Almost no one prefers rubber pads to mesh or real heads and rubber pads are usually purchased or "liked" due to budget restrictions. The comment about the parraddidle may have been true for that writer but it is not fact for everyone.

One fact in all this is that you can loosen the heads.

As far as your last question about Customs being superior to rubber to justify 2x price, most pricing is based on supply vs. demand plus competition. The only thing which justifies charging 2x the price is having enough customers willing to pay that much for them. To cut prices for no reason is not called business, it's called charity.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE charity! I sure could use a set of the new V-cymbals and a spare TD-10exp, so you benevolent types can have at it. Another M512E would be nice too.
        Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

I think if you decide to go rubber you will end up wanting mesh in the long run anyway. Ask me how I know. http://public.fotki.com/redman/me_pi...setuppic0.html

------------------
          ~REDMAN~
          ~REDMAN~

Comment

I got agree with Redman, but the other thing is that if noise is really an issue then you have to go with the mesh heads and the V-cymbals. Here is what happened to me: I like to practice late at night, which was one of the reasons I lost my mind and spent all this money in the first place. After getting my V-Pro set I was playing pretty regularly and my kids began complaining that I was keeping them awake at night. A fact I found hard to believe at first but they kept complaining. So finale I went up to the second floor and had my son go in to the basement and play on my set. Sure enough they were right through the AC ducts you could clearly hear the TAP TAP TAP of the cymbal (PD-9) and the kick (KD-7) pads. This was pretty bad especially since my son does not hit any were near as hard as I was. Well that was all I need to go to the V-cymbals and KD-120 I was looking at any way (like I need a push).
            Any way if you check other posts you will find there are other people (mainly apartment dwellers) that have similar issues especially with the KD-7 transferring noise to the floors below. Some of the solutions have been very creative. I donít know what your situation is but it is good to check out before you buy.

Comment

Originally posted by heavyd:
              I like to practice late at night... through the AC ducts you could clearly hear the TAP TAP TAP of the cymbal (PD-9) and the kick (KD-7) pads.
              That's exactly what happened to me. I have a habit of waking up in the wee hours of the morning. I have trouble going back to sleep so I was often playing at 3 am when I first got my kit. My son would sleep through a full scale war, but my wife wakes up at the slightest sound. Sure enough the PD's and kick were going through the duct work. She was kind enough to wear ear plugs. I don't play at those hours anymore out of consideration for her.

Did you get the new cymbals or upright kick? If yes, are they that quiet? I have a feeling you won't reduce it enough to stop the pinging from traveling via the ductwork.
              Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

As Boingo said, each person has his/her preferences in regards to the pads and sets they like. I really dig my Customs. The compact size is a blessing in a small apartment, and the 8" heads are great for practicing and improving accuracy. People who dislike the Custom set spent more money to get V-Pros or V-Sessions or V-Concerts or whatever, which are beyond my needs and budget, but to each his own. Perhaps Customs are beyond your needs and budget; you're the only person who can determine that.

Fortunately, there are options at different price points. Mesh vs. rubber pads are an important difference between the V-Club and V-Custom set, but it's not the only difference. There's a difference in sound modules (TD-6 vs. TD-8) and kick drum triggers (KD-7 vs. KD-80) also.

The mesh heads don't feel realistic at all if you play them with no sound coming from the module, but put on a pair of headphones and the feel improves dramatically. It's all psychological, but it works wonders.

As far as noise problems, the mesh heads and rubber pads aren't really an issue in my apartment building. My apartment is at the front of the building, and my setup is in a room with no neighbors immediately adjacent to me, except for above and below. The kick drum has generated a complaint from my downstairs neighbor, but I just play when he's not home. Fortunately, I work days and he works evenings, so until 10pm it's a free-for-all. But if you need more help, search this forum to find solutions to kick drum noise problems.

[This message has been edited by K-Chuck (edited July 03, 2001).]

Comment

Boingo:

The answer to your ? is yes, yes, and yes (all of the above).

"Did you get the new cymbals or upright kick? If yes, are they that quiet? I have a feeling you won't reduce it enough to stop the pinging from traveling via the ductwork."

The purchase of the V-cymbal and the KD-120 solved the problem. The V-HH is nowhere near as loud as the TD-7 I was using, mainly beacuse now I am hitting rubber and not pounding on a block of wood.

I got the whole thing @ Washington Music Center. The KD-120 was realy good deal in case you are interested.

The funny thing is that I thought that I was the only person on the planet that had this problem.

Good Luck, Let me know how it goes

------------------

Comment

I visited Wash. Music before buying my V's (bought V's and more from them - they usually have good service and price). Right now I'm getting a roof put on and my wife needs an amp so any cymbal purchases will be pushed back till late in the year. The hats sound like my 1st priority. I'm happy with the kick I modified (KD-7 made into an upright) so I'll pass on that. The 3 zone ride will be nice since I really like using the ride rim for a crash. The crashes are a toss between the CY-6 and the more pricey models.

I really don't get all the rave reviews on the CY-6. The majority of users seem to indicate extremely little difference between the CY-6 and their high priced cousins. I can't figure out if the low price/affordability has tainted their judgement or if the only real difference is their size. For that kind of delta in price, you'd think there would be a major difference?

Comment

I have played both the regular V-crash and the CY-6. I bought two of the CY-6 because they are great feeling, accurate triggering, and choke great too. The only thing I feel I am missing is the 2" and $120.00 .

Comment

Finally bought a Pd-120 for a snare, ooooooh man 100% better than pd-9's . Found it sitting in a corner collecting dust , it's used but looks like it's never been played ...mint condition second hand at a good price ,what more can I ask for....more

Go mesh

------------------
                        ~REDMAN~
                        ~REDMAN~

Comment

You give up more than just 2" when you go with the CY6's instead of the CY14's. The 14's are heavier(they have a thin metal core vs. a plastic one) and are "balanced". Their weight is evenly distributed which allows for a much improved swing compared to the 6's.

Comment

ok, ok, cliff you are right...$150 more for a slightly more realistic "schwing!" is well worth it!

Comment

I like the fact that the CY-6s are smaller and lighter because I use them as splashes (I also have the other V-cymbals). Cliff does have a point, the V's swing a little better and they are a little larger, but for the price difference, CY-6s are a bargain. The best value for money IMHO. That said, I will probably purchase some more V's if/when I get around to getting another module and expanding my kit...but I'll also probably a CY-6 or two also based on the type of cymbals and feel that I want to have.

Comment

Working...
                              X