Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Triggering Propellerhead Reason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triggering Propellerhead Reason

I currently own a Midiman Biport 2x4 which I connect to my G3 300mhz using the modem port. I have 256 megs of ram. I am attempting to use my V-Club set to trigger sounds from Reasons drum machine Redrum. Sounds really cool by the way!! Seems to work great, however when I try to play along to music generated from Reason, I notice that there is some latency that is throwing off my playing. Would I have less of a problem if I was using a USB midi interface? Is USB noticeably faster than a serial connection? I'm new to this. Please let me know if anyone can help me with some info. Thanks!!

Chris
    Roland V-Club with KD-120. Apple G4 500 x 256 megs ram using Cubase VST 5.1 Native Instruments Battery, Absynth, Korg Electribe EA-1 and Propellerhead Reason.

Is the latency in the playback of the recorded tracks in Reason or is the latency in the triggering of the pads and the Redrum module??

If its the former, its my best guess that the audio buffer setup in your soundcard software is transfering samples at a rate thats causing the delay...

Comment

The interface has nothing to do with it. Your latency is caused by your processor coughing under the load, more than likely you just have too many Reason modules active at once. Try deactivating a few modules, especially the effects, and try again. If that doesn't do the trick, I'd scour Ebay for a 400 or 500 Mhz G3 ZIF upgrade (not that much more expensive than a USB interface). Normally Reason doesn't need too many resources, but it's easy to overload it.
      Also, if Reason is being accessed through ReWire by any other software you're running at the same time, that may slow things down significantly.
      What MIDI drivers are you running? If you're using OMS you may want to get version 2.3.8, if you don't have it already. Same goes for Reason, the 1.01 upgrade solves a few MIDI-related problems, as well as quite a few others, as far as I remember.
      And now, the most simple solution, do you have virtual memory activated? If yes, turn it off immediately! In 9 out of 10 cases (if the software will even let you keep it on) that's the cause for any kind of latency on a Mac.
      Oh yes, assign more memory to Reason, helps too in some cases, and doesn't do any harm.

Let me know if this solves your problem.

Stu
      "Fry that sound effect, Moriarty, we're having it for breakfast"

Comment

I'm pretty new to the electronic stuff. I appreciate your input! Thanks!
        Roland V-Club with KD-120. Apple G4 500 x 256 megs ram using Cubase VST 5.1 Native Instruments Battery, Absynth, Korg Electribe EA-1 and Propellerhead Reason.

Comment

You're totally welcome! Let me know if any of my solutions solved your problem, if not, e-mail me and we'll see what we can do.

Stu
          "Fry that sound effect, Moriarty, we're having it for breakfast"

Comment

Working...
          X