Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

This forum is for soft/hardware technical questions & discussion only! Topics posted incorrectly will be deleted.
See more
See less

Compressor: Limiter & Expander

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compressor: Limiter & Expander

An interesting idea has popped up on the Once and For All Hotspot sticky:

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45100

One member, jammin777, indicates that he easily eliminated the snare hotspot by setting his TD-20's compressor Type Parameter to "Expander", at least I think that's what he meant by his two posts over in that sticky. I think we have a lanquage barrier so I hesitate to think that's what he meant but given I can't find anything else...

Several of us were wondering just what exactly that means and sciomako posted a blurb about upward expansion and probably what it means in our context. Several of us then piss and moan about how our older exp TD-10s don't seem to have that setting. I looked at both the TD-10 and TDW-1 manuals and nothing jumped out at me.

But then I looked at the TD-20 manual and lo and behold, the "Expander" setting is simply a preset that changes the Threshold and Ratio values (much of what we have outlined in posts on getting rid of the hotspot).

Apparently there are three seperate Expander presets (this is all on page 39 of the TD-20 manual). I'd dearly like to test jammin777's TD-20 results on my older module and see if I can duplicate something that simple.

So, could somebody post the details of those three Expander presets? The details would include

Gain
    Threshold
    Ratio
    Attack
    Hold
    Release

Also, jammin777, could you look at your settings and tell us if you have the other Attack value (the one listed above Type) set to EMPHASIS or CRUSH.

www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
    TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

ok, TD20 expander.. (emphasis) on a snare
    gain +4, tresh -12, ratio 0.7:1, attack 25, hold 15, rel 30..
    (crush) attack 25, hold 40, rel 20..
    don't know if it would work.. got to go eat..
    bbcode_not_allowed

Comment

Thanks Eric. I assume that's the first Expander preset? Now to see how the other two presets compare.

I already think I see a problem in trying to make this work on an older module: The compression ratio can't be set below 1:1 in the exp TD-10. If I understand all of this correctly, that's a big problem.

TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

emphasis, i will post the whole setting asap as i am at work now.
        Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

Went home last night and checked the exp TD-10 and alas, you can't set the ratio at anything under 1:1. Thus, being able to use this as a fix for the hotspot won't work on an older module.

Heh heh, probably another reason to get a TD12 or 20. Roland Corp can thank us later.

Comment

wow that is too bad. well heres the compression settings i have on my snare for the tdw 20

expander
            attack emphasis
            gain +4
            thres. -12
            ratio 0.7:1
            attk 20
            hold 50
            rels 40

the snare i use for this setting.. but should work well with most.
            50;s king
            shell wood
            depth 2.5"
            tuning +55
            muffle tape 2
            strainer adjust med
            mic position standard
            i also use reverb and the ambiacne is rock club large room, wood,
            room mic position is med.
            with these settings the snare sounds fairly wet as far as effects go and live thru a pa it sounds ALOT like troy luccketas snare on phychotic supper.
            with the compression settings, it eliminated the hotspot i was experiencing.
            it has the more disired dynamics of a A snare. when i had the wrong settings it had an undsired focused pop rather then a nice wide open crack that a snare should have.
            hope this helps.
            Last edited by jammin777; 02-03-09, 10:19 AM.
            Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

Working...
            X