Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Dual triggering PD-85's on the TD-6V??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual triggering PD-85's on the TD-6V??

Can anyone tell me if this is possible? I know you can only have toms 2 and 3 in use as dual pads but the instructions on the main page about dual triggering mesh heads on the TD-6V do not tell you how to do it with the PD-85's. I followed the directions and was able to get my #2 tom to get the dual zone but even cranking up the XTalk Cancel I couldn't get the pad itself to stop triggering when i hit the rim. I couldn't, however, figure out how to get the third tom to work. Is this possible with the PD-85's? Thanks.
    TD-9 with Master 50 VEX pack. Three PD-85 dual triggered toms plus one 10" Hart Acupad. 10" Jobeky Drums snare. 8" Hart Acupad kick. CY-5 as hats, CY-8 and CY-14 as crashes, and CY-12R/C as ride.

Originally posted by fastballer8 View Post
    Can anyone tell me if this is possible? I know you can only have toms 2 and 3 in use as dual pads but the instructions on the main page about dual triggering mesh heads on the TD-6V do not tell you how to do it with the PD-85's.
    The sticky thread refers mainly to PD-85 toms, which are no different to any other dual-trigger mesh pads.

Originally posted by fastballer8 View Post
    I followed the directions and was able to get my #2 tom to get the dual zone but even cranking up the XTalk Cancel I couldn't get the pad itself to stop triggering when i hit the rim. I couldn't, however, figure out how to get the third tom to work. Is this possible with the PD-85's? Thanks.
    There's no reason why Tom 3 would be any different to Tom 2.

Bruce

Comment

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36195

p.s. I'm not sure if the Raper circuit is applicable as an alternative. Do you search on this.
      My compact kit.

Comment

If you read through the entire sticky thread, it is geared at pads such as the PD-85. The long and the short of it is that it is somewhat possible??? Meaning, with a Keith Raper circuit you may get PD-85's to trigger the rims, but you would not be able to trigger both sounds simultaneously. If you go the Roland route, and split them in the module and use insert cables and two additional pads, you can trigger simultaneously. I really can't see an advantage to go the rim route and limit yourself, other than to save a little cash on two pads and a couple of insert cables easily purchased at a store like the Rat Shack.
        My Kit's Evolution Pics...

Comment

Originally posted by LarsYouPutz View Post
          If you read through the entire sticky thread, it is geared at pads such as the PD-85. The long and the short of it is that it is somewhat possible??? Meaning, with a Keith Raper circuit you may get PD-85's to trigger the rims, but you would not be able to trigger both sounds simultaneously. If you go the Roland route, and split them in the module and use insert cables and two additional pads, you can trigger simultaneously. I really can't see an advantage to go the rim route and limit yourself, other than to save a little cash on two pads and a couple of insert cables easily purchased at a store like the Rat Shack.
          Good summary.

But "you may get PD-85's to trigger the rims, but you would not be able to trigger both sounds simultaneously" (which you MAY get even without a Raper circuit) is the normal behaviour of mesh toms on a TD-9/12/20, so perhaps that's what some people seek to achieve?

Bruce

Comment

Thanks for the help. Is there a recommended setting for the pads and rims so I can completely isolate the sounds? Most of the time when I hit the rim on the pad, I still get a slight tom sound. I cranked up the Xtalk Cancel and threshold of the rim but can't seem to get the right settings. Thanks!
            TD-9 with Master 50 VEX pack. Three PD-85 dual triggered toms plus one 10" Hart Acupad. 10" Jobeky Drums snare. 8" Hart Acupad kick. CY-5 as hats, CY-8 and CY-14 as crashes, and CY-12R/C as ride.

Comment

Any chance the slight tom sound is actually crosstalk on Tom 1? You could try increasing Xtalk Cancel slightly there too.

Xtalk Cancel of 80 for Toms 2 and 3 seems to work for a few people, but it may never become 100% reliable with regards to isolation as it's not a use intended by Roland.

Bruce

Comment

Thanks for the help again. I figured out that I kinda have to find the sweet spot of the toms in order to do away with the incidental triggering. It happens to be at about 7 on the pad if both labels are 12 and 6.

Comment

Working...
                X