Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

vex kits transfer help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vex kits transfer help!

hi.i have a TD 8 module which came loaded with vex kits, problem is that i have lost some due to the fact that i have not got them saved on my comp.anyway i recently bought a midi to usb cable to transfer and save my kits before i accidentally erased anymore.ok i have been through the procedure to accomplish this but as if yet i still cannot perform this action.i downloaded midi ox and TD-M8 via vexpressions site and i get as far as my Td-8 being recognised by TD-M8 but when i try to 'save to file' as directed the option is not available as it is lightened out.any suggestions i have been messing about with this for so long it is causing major drumming issues for me.

You have to use "Load from TD-8" on the TD-M8 menu before you can save anything. Have you done that?

Bruce

Comment

yes i have tried 'load from TD 8' first as directed on vexpressions site,before 'save to file'.seems like a communication problem dont know what though as i have been through the midi ox set up also.is it anything to do with that i am using a midi to usb cable instead of a direct midi to midi cable?

Comment

Originally posted by lejuames View Post
        ...is it anything to do with that i am using a midi to usb cable instead of a direct midi to midi cable?
        Most people use USB to MIDI cables very successfully. But, not all USB to MIDI cables work for transferring kits because some of them do not support SYSEX messages correctly.

So, which USB to MIDI cable are you using? Also, did you install the correct driver for your OS? Or, is it one of those cheap cables that "claims" that the driver is built-in to the cable. Many of those no-driver cables do not work with sysex transfers -- they were designed for recording MIDI notes, not sysex patch transfers.

-SD-

Comment

yes i have tried 'load from TD 8' first
          Any error message when you do that?

Bruce

Comment

no there is no error message.also what should i see on the screen of TD 8 during this process, at the minute, screen displays kits whilst midi to usb connection is made to module.

Comment

Which brand and model of USB to MIDI adapter are you using?

Also, have you tried swapping your cables?

-SD-

Comment

The cable i am using has been recommended elsewhere on this site.it is plug and play with built in drivers.Others have told me that this cable has worked for them when transferring sysex files.any suggestions welcome??

Comment

The cable i am using has been recommended elsewhere on this site.it is plug and play with built in drivers.Others have told me that this cable has worked for them when transferring sysex files.any suggestions welcome??
                  If you bought the one from dealextreme, then you need to read all of these other threads:
                  http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40681
                  http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40623
                  http://www.dealextreme.com/forums/De...hreadid.140854
                  http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42795
                  http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40762

Since I support VDrumLib, I have acquired a number of different cables to test for compatibility with Roland Sysex transfers. As a result, I have acquired BOTH models of the dealextreme cables and I can tell you that they both look the same. But, one works and the other does not work. If you have the one that does not work, then there is nothing that you can do to make it work. I also have bought one of the cheap ebay look-alikes. It does not work, either.

-SD-

Comment

ok.so you reckon i have a interface cable that does not work.what do you recommend i do .i can either get a new cable that is guaranteed to work or as my soundcard (Audigy 2) is midi compatible i can get standard 5 din midi to midi cable.Q. will i need two of these one for midi in and one for midi out? and will they be ok to transfer sysex messages?cheers

Comment

ok.so you reckon i have a interface cable that does not work.
                      I don't know, you still haven't told me which one you bought. Does this mean that you bought your cable from dealextreme and you chose the one that doesn't work?

what do you recommend i do
                      Well, if you bought the one that doesn't work, then you should return it. I hear that dealextreme has a good return policy.

i can either get a new cable that is guaranteed to work or as my soundcard (Audigy 2) is midi compatible i can get standard 5 din midi to midi cable.Q.
                      Well, I searched my support emails for Audigy, and I haven't had any questions from any customers about the Audigy. So, I can't tell you if it works, or not. But, I just googled Audigy sysex and I found the following discussion from another forum which seems to indicate that the audigy does not support long sysex transfers:
                      http://community.sonikmatter.com/for...ost&pid=157850

will i need two of these one for midi in and one for midi out? and will they be ok to transfer sysex messages?cheers
                      Well, if you want to try the Audigy, then you only need one cable.

BTW, if you want to know which cable I recommend to all my customers, it is the Edirol UM-1ex. It is a rock solid cable that always works for everyone. You can find multiple sources by just googling Edirol UM-1ex.

-SD-

Comment

ok so more costs involved.What about the

Edirol UM-1X USb to MIDI interface converter cable.would this do the job ok regarding sysex transfers

Comment

by the way.it is a Audigy 2 i have,i have looked on some forums for info and some mention that it is possible to transfer sysex messages,can you let me know please

Comment

Save your money for more Vex kits and buy this one:
                            http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.730
                            . digitalDrummer
                            Review index

Comment

i have bought a similar looking midi to usb interface as the one above, also previous posts tell me that i would be taking a chance buying this as it did not work for everyone.at the minute i am stuck i limbo with this issue,as on top of this i am not sure wether my soundcard (Audigy 2) is capable of transferring sysex messages ,although it has midi inputs.i would be grateful if anyone could clarify if it can or not otherwise i dont know were to take this bar shelling out more on another midi to usb interface,thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X