Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Help with adding pads to TD-9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with adding pads to TD-9

Hi all,

I want to add a china, a dual-zone ride, and dual-zone high-hat to my TD-9S, and I'm concerned about inputs. Both Hart and Smartriggers seem to require more inputs than my TD-9 has - or I'm mistaken in reading their downloadable user's guides / manuals (which aren't very clear, I should add). I'd consider Roland cymbals, but 1) I hate their feel and 2) they're really expensive compared with almost all other brands.

I'm confused because both Hart and Smartrigger's manuals state that the AUX input is required, even with the dual-zone ride, which I don't understand, because with only the single ride connector connected to one CY-8, I get two zones from the CY-8. Couldn't I just also use the included "ride bell" connector (currently not connected to the CY-8) with a two- or three-zone ride?

Could someone provide me with any helpful feedback that outlines my potential upgrade paths? I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

I am totally unfamiliar with the TD-9 so I don't know how much help I can be there. That being said, how many inputs are you using now? How many are left? On a TD-12 as well as my old TD-6V the Hart ECII dual-zone ride only required one input. As far as using specifically the AUX, I can't imagine that's the case, unless that AUX on the TD-9 is the only other input to support dual-triggering. The Hart ECII hat like the ride uses one input to support both zones (on a TD-12 anyway). I did notice on my TD-6V I couldn't get rim and edge on the hat. It wasn't until I upgraded to the TD-12 that I got them. Maybe the TD-9 hat input is in the same boat. I would be suprised that a newer module like TD-9 would require you to split it out though, but like I said, I am really unfamiliar with the module. The Hart China is single zone so any input should work fine. TD-9 guys...chime in!
    TD-12; TD-6V; FD-8; Hart Pro Toms, Snare, Bass; ECII hihat, crashes, splash & ride; Smartrigger crashes & china; Hart Hammer Pad; Pintech Dingbat; Iron Cobra double-bass.

"I never play the same thing twice...sometimes because I simply can't remember it." - John Paul Jones

Comment

Originally posted by koneill View Post
      Couldn't I just also use the included "ride bell" connector (currently not connected to the CY-8) with a two- or three-zone ride?

Could someone provide me with any helpful feedback that outlines my potential upgrade paths? I'd really appreciate it.
      I explained the difference to you a few days ago, and you seemed to understand.

All Roland cymbals only use one piezo; some other brands use two, especially for rides.

The Ride Bell connector on a TD-9 can only be used together with a single piezo cymbal connected to the ride input.

If you want to use a double piezo cymbal like Hart or Smartrigger rides you have to use another input for the second cable.

The only option for a non-Roland three-zone ride using the RDB connector on a TD-9 would be to modify a Yamaha PCY135/155/150S so that it can use two cables instead of one.

Bruce
      Last edited by BarT; 01-22-09, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BarT View Post
        I explained the difference to you a few days ago, and you seemed to understand.

All Roland cymbals only use one piezo; some other brands use two, especially for rides.

The Ride Bell connector on a TD-9 can only be used together with a single piezo cymbal connected to the ride input.

If you want to use a double piezo cymbal like Hart or Smartrigger rides you have to use another input for the second cable.

The only option for a non-Roland three-zone ride using the RDB connector on a TD-9 would be to modify a Yamaha PCY135/155/150S so that it can use two cables instead of one.

Bruce
        Thanks, Bruce.

I guess I didn't get it. NOW I get it. And now that I do...well...that kind of sucks.

I appreciate your help, nonetheless. Very helpful, so thank you again.

Comment

Working...
        X