Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Inconsistent HH rim volume from TD-10exp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inconsistent HH rim volume from TD-10exp?

Something very annoying.

The HH rim would suddenly/spontaneously gives me very loud volume when I played, say, a basic 4/4 rock beat with accented downbeats on the HH rim (i.e. a mini-moeller on the HH). The funny thing is, if I played the HH alone I couldn't get that loud sound at all no matter how hard I whacked the rim.

The blasting sound didn't sound like a crosstalk from the other pads. It sounded exactly like the HH rim sound but must very loud.

My setup: PD-8 as HH, "TDW-1" kit.
    My compact kit.

Crosstalk wouldn't sound like other pads, but would sound like the hi-hat. So try increasing Crosstalk (Cancel) for the hi-hat. You could also check the cable routing from the hi-hat pad as it's sometimes possible to get unwanted sounds triggered by a cable getting moved. What trigger type do you have set for the PD-8?

Bruce

Comment

Trigger type, I can't remember. I think it's PD-7. I have to go back to check.

The reason why I ruled out crosstalk is if I whacked the HH rim hard to max out the velocity I still couldn't get that loud blasting sound... But probably I jumped to conclusion too quick. Let me go back to try altering the crosstalk setting.
      My compact kit.

Comment

P7B may be OK, but P9A is recommended for a PD-8 on an TD-10/TDW-1.

Bruce

Comment

Thanks, Bruce.

While we're on this topic, could I ask a couple more HH questions?

Am i right that there's nothing, nor any mod, I can do to improve the expressiveness of the different degree of HH open on TD-10exp (with FD-8) and my only option is to get a TD-12/20? At the moment, the transition of the HH stick sound from close to open is smooth at all. There is no half-open sound.

Similarly, how about the volume of the pedal close sound? I max'd out the pedal volume to 127 and the module did register max velocity. But the close sound was still not loud enough. I know I could increase the HH volume. But that will also make the HH stick sound too loud. I saw some old threads talking about a mod on FD-8 to make it louder on TD-3 (or TD-6?). But since I already got the max velocity, i suppose FD-8 isn't my issue?
          My compact kit.

Comment

Your problem could be the FD8, you can do a search of problems relating to the FD8.
            My advice to you would be to get a FD7.
            www.myspace.com/tongueingrooveTd 20 Purple Fade V Session Cy15, 2x Cy14, Cy8, Asi+ Crown k2 amps, BBE max. Legion 15's, Madison 18 subs, Tama,Yamaha hardware.
            Your never as good or bad as you think you are !

Comment

Hi Sizzle,

Are you referring to the volume of the pedal close sound or the degree of half-open stick sound?
              My compact kit.

Comment

Originally posted by sciomako View Post
                Am i right that there's nothing, nor any mod, I can do to improve the expressiveness of the different degree of HH open on TD-10exp (with FD-8) and my only option is to get a TD-12/20? At the moment, the transition of the HH stick sound from close to open is smooth at all. There is no half-open sound.
                You're right that there's not much you can do about the range. But no half-open sound at all? Even if you get the pedal in exactly the right position? You could try adjusting the pedal board travel on the front with a drum key. If you drop the foot board then you don't have to move your foot so much to reach the closing and closed positions.

Originally posted by sciomako View Post
                Similarly, how about the volume of the pedal close sound? I max'd out the pedal volume to 127 and the module did register max velocity. But the close sound was still not loud enough. I know I could increase the HH volume. But that will also make the HH stick sound too loud. I saw some old threads talking about a mod on FD-8 to make it louder on TD-3 (or TD-6?). But since I already got the max velocity, i suppose FD-8 isn't my issue?
                Do you know that the pedal hi-hat volume has to be increased in each kit? (KIT, FUNC, HI-HAT.) Other than that, once again not much you can do.

Bruce

Comment

I had both the the FD8 and FD7 on the TD10 at one time and the difference is very noticeable.
                  So yes to both!
                  www.myspace.com/tongueingrooveTd 20 Purple Fade V Session Cy15, 2x Cy14, Cy8, Asi+ Crown k2 amps, BBE max. Legion 15's, Madison 18 subs, Tama,Yamaha hardware.
                  Your never as good or bad as you think you are !

Comment

Originally posted by BarT View Post
                    You could try adjusting the pedal board travel on the front with a drum key. If you drop the foot board then you don't have to move your foot so much to reach the closing and closed positions.
                    I think it's already at the lowest position. I'll check.

Originally posted by BarT View Post
                    Do you know that the pedal hi-hat volume has to be increased in each kit? (KIT, FUNC, HI-HAT.) Other than that, once again not much you can do.
                    Yes, I know.

Thanks.
                    My compact kit.

Comment

Originally posted by SIZZLE View Post
                      I had both the the FD8 and FD7 on the TD10 at one time and the difference is very noticeable.
                      So yes to both!
                      Interesting. Thanks.
                      Used FD-7 doesn't turn up often in oz.
                      My compact kit.

Comment

sciomako:

I feel your pain. All these years and I still struggle with the HH on my exp TD-10. In some ways, I've been tempted to go back to an FD-7 pedal and static mount. I've also used an FD-8 pedal and static mount, the FD-8 pedal with my DIY HH stand and of course my Hart Epedal II Pro.

None of the newer hardware seems to give consistent results the way that geezy old FD-7 pedal and static mount did.

As to your problem which Bruce confirmed, yeah, same here. The only way around that I found was to go VST and use the loopbe and Chaotic Box MIDI remapper softwares and spend the time setting up the HH so that it would approximate the abilities of either the 12/20 modules.

I've harped on this before but the main reasons I'd think anybody would go with the 12/20 is there greater HH capability and Interval Control (for cymbal swells). If I weren't doing so much with VST lately (which dampens the enthusiasm for a new module), I'd probably consider selling the exp 10 and get a 20.

www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
                        TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

OK, some updates.

Regarding the rim blasting, I found out the rim sensitivity is sensitive to hitting angle. I would get the blasting sound only if I hit it parallel to the pad surface. Now knowing the cause, it's much less an issue.

The pedal close volume, me being an idiot. It's indeed the per-kit volume setting tripping me. With proper setting, I can get the right mix of volumes now.

The range of half-open sound. I do get an half-open sound, probably 2 different sounds at different positions. But the "scale" is so packed together at the closed end of the pedal that I found I had problem to control it consistently. I'm wondering if a mod can make it better... Maybe TD-12 is the answer as Grog suggested. I just need to wait for the right deal. (See my sig? )

So, all in all, thanks everyone for help.
                          Last edited by sciomako; 01-21-09, 04:59 PM.
                          My compact kit.

Comment

Hmm... I have another puzzle.

I found out if I hit my PD-85 (used as tom) with both sticks in unison, I got very low volume. It's not the case if it was the PD-8 rubber pad nor the PD-125 (as snare). It seems to me it has to do with one of those trigger parameters. I've toyed with the scale time and mask time but still couldn't find the right mix. Any idea?

EDIT: Forgot to mention, the mesh tension on PD-85 is tight and the trigger type is PD-80R (position). I've actually tried the non-position one, PD-80 and PD-9. No difference.
                            Last edited by sciomako; 01-21-09, 04:59 PM.
                            My compact kit.

Comment

Try reducing RetrigCancel.

Bruce

Comment

Working...
                              X