Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

TD20 v 1.09 Update EPIC FAIL!! HEEEELP!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD20 v 1.09 Update EPIC FAIL!! HEEEELP!!

Hello all.. I seem to be in a bit of a pickle over here in the land of Oz.. I've been putting off updating my modules' firmware for quite some time now and so finally decided to give it a whirl (mainly because my hi hats are being mental). So to cut a long story short I decided to upgrade it via MIDI, so I downloaded all the necessary stuff and started the update.. here's where it gets dramatic. It's been frozen at 52% (34/64) now for about 45 mins, and I'm crapping my pants to say the least. Does anyone know whether or not I can abort the update and start it again? Will this kill my module? Oh god.. This is pretty much my worst fear, my V-Drums are the centre of my world and I'm in the process of some pretty intense recording at the moment, so to have this happen was pretty much the last thing I needed. Please tell me everything will be okay.. please... Any input would be GREATLY appreciated..

Aaron
    "Today young men on acid realised that all matter is purely energy condensed to a slow vibration; That we are all of one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively; There's no such thing as death, life is only a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves.. Here's Tom with the weather"...

TD-20 + TMC-6 + VF-1 + Gen16's = Not enough inputs.
    Watch me - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLqt6zaAYkY

Nearly everyone who's had a problem with an update has been able to restart it and have it complete successfully.

But why are you using MIDI to update a TD-20? It's quicker and easier with a Compact Flash card.

A CF update may also be the easiest way out of you current predicament.

What software are you using to send the MIDI files?

Bruce

Comment

Ah BarT, those are the words I needed to hear I'm only using MIDI because I don't have a CF drive, I've just never had a need for one. I'm using SMFPLAYER, as recommended by Roland of course. What do you think is the best way to stop the upgrade- by just canceling sending in SMFPLAYER, or should I turn the module off? Help me BarT, you're my musics' only hope
      "Today young men on acid realised that all matter is purely energy condensed to a slow vibration; That we are all of one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively; There's no such thing as death, life is only a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves.. Here's Tom with the weather"...

Comment

I think you should probably try powering off the module; and back on with SETUP and REC held down to restart the update procedure, then replay the files from SMFPLAYER.

But see the note near the bottom of the attached Roland technical manual excerpt which says, "Be absolutely sure not to turn off the power at this time. If this operation does not finish properly, subsequent MIDI updating will not be possible. If this occurs, carry out the update using Compact Flash." Although a retry via MIDI is worth a shot, you may have to buy a CF reader/writer. (They're everywhere these days, and very cheap.)

Bruce
        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks so much BarT, you're a true hero. I think I might just get a CF card reader and do the update that way. Can I put the update on the CF card that I'm using now, or does it need to be a blank one? Also, will I need to format a new CF card in a TD module for it to be read? In case you didn't notice, I'm a total CF-noob...

Comment

You should be able to use your current CF card, but if you buy another one remember it has to be 512MB or smaller. (They're also very cheap now if you can find that size.)

Don't format your current card; and even a new one doesn't need to be formatted in the TD-20 for the update process, only before subsequent backup save/load use. But a new card would need to be formatted from a PC first.

The CF update files are in a separate CF folder of the download zip file. Just two files, TD20UPD.PRG and TD20UPD.ROM, need to be copied to the root folder of a CF card. You don't hold down any buttons for a CF update, just power on the module with those two files in the top directory of of a CF card. But you need to delete them after the update or it will try to restart the procedure if you power on with that card inserted.

Bruce

Comment

As far as I'm concerned, BarT IS V-Drums.com. Dude, you are a gentleman, a scholar, a savior to children and small cute fluffy animals everywhere, a font of knowledge and now Bruce- you are a GOD!!!! (Imagine a choir going in the background for maximum dramatic effect).. Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!!! The first tune that I mix will be solely dedicated to YOU my friend!!!! Viva la Bruce!!!

Aaron

Comment

<Gulp> Now I really hope your TD-20 isn't dead.

Bruce

Comment

LOL! Worry not Bruce, it was a total success - I made sure of that before I posted Thanks again man!!

Comment

Working...
                  X