Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

HELP!!! TD8 isn't working!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP!!! TD8 isn't working!!!

Alright, every now and then my TD8 locks up. That's cool, I just turn it off and back on and then it's fine again. Last time it locked up, I turned it off and back on and now when it turns on the screen stays blank and green and there's just the black line on top. I even left it on for a couple minutes to see if there was something it needed to do inside but nothing. I pulled power for 10 seconds and plugged it back in and no change. Is it broke?

Never heard of this but if it was my unit I would probably do a Factory restore , thats is if you can get the unit to that screen .
    If it is still locked with no screen I would just send it to Roland for repairs..

Good luck ,
    Zeke

Comment

ugh, there's no hard reset with a button, cable, or something if i can't see the screen or get booted up?

Comment

First thing I would suspect is the power supply. If you have a volt meter, try checking the power supply.

Also, you can try removing the internal battery for a bit. To do this, first unplug the power supply. Then, open up the case -- you will need to turn it over and remove the screws. Anyway, once you have it open, remove the battery. Then, after waiting a few minutes, put the battery back in and close it up. Then try powering it up.

-SD-

Comment

It may just need a new battery if it's never been replaced: TD 8 Module battery help

Bruce

Comment

i was about to e-slap you because i saw the thread that said "you probably just need to change the battery" and i just was like "eff you buddy i'm not stupid!"

and then i realized you meant a battery inside like a cmos battery or something for a computer . . .

i'm gonna go check that out now!

Comment

replacing the battery didn't fix it. is this for sure something that has to go back to roland and not self-repairable by somebody competent, just unsure of what the problem is?

Comment

Did you check the power supply?

-SD-

Comment

well i mean, it DOES power on. the backlight comes on and goes green and the KIT section says "68" for a split split second then goes away.

nothing ever displays in the backlit area and no sounds work at all.

Comment

Originally posted by lysis View Post
                    well i mean, it DOES power on. the backlight comes on and goes green and the KIT section says "68" for a split split second then goes away.

nothing ever displays in the backlit area and no sounds work at all.
                    Still could be a bad power supply. A power supply does not have to be completely dead to be bad. A bad power supply can still supply partial voltage which could be just enough juice to light up the display and LED's, but not enough for the rest of the unit to function. Basically, it would behave EXACTLY like the symptoms you describe.

-SD-

Comment

hmm . . . i'll go up to radioshack today and get one of those 3rd party supplies that way i can get the same voltage/polarity/etc but return it when it depressingly doesn't fix the problem . . .

after this i assume my only step would be calling roland, correct?

Comment

I gots lots of Roland Power Supplies and I am right up the street. Just off Revere road. You are welcome to come over and try them out.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lysis View Post
                          hmm . . . i'll go up to radioshack today and get one of those 3rd party supplies that way i can get the same voltage/polarity/etc...
                          If you do, then make sure you get one that can supply enough current or you will see the exact same symptoms. So, same voltage and at least as many mA that is spec'd on the Roland supply.

Originally posted by Michael Render View Post
                          I gots lots of Roland Power Supplies and I am right up the street. Just off Revere road. You are welcome to come over and try them out.
                          Actually, this is a better idea -- using the correct Roland supply would be a better test! Since Michael is being so kind as to let you borrow one, you really should go down this path instead of wasting time at Radio Shack.

-SD-

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Render View Post
                            just gimme a day, time and address and i'm there dude.

Comment

did you ever fix it lysis?

Comment

Working...
                              X