Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

TD-6V or TD-8?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD-6V or TD-8?

I have a hybrid v-drums kit that I'm putting together from a bunch of pieces. Specifically, I have:

Kick: KD7
    Snare: PDX-8
    HH: PD-8 (will be a CY-5 soon) with FD-8 controller
    Tom1: PD-85
    Tom2: PD-8 (soon to be PD-85)
    Tom3: PD-8 (soon to be PD-85)
    Ride: CY-8
    Crash: CY-8

I have both a TD-8 and a TD-6V. I've been playing the set with the TD-6V, but would rather use the TD-8 if possible. It seems to have the same bank of individual sounds as the 6 and more control. The only thing is that I'm not sure about is whether it works (well) with my newer pads.

Is it possible to make a fully functional set with the TD-8 instead of the TD-6V? Meaning, dual triggers, etc.? If so, can anyone tell me what pad settings to use for the trigger inputs? My newer pads aren't listed in the TD-8's parameters. It just has: PD-5, PD-7, PD-9, PD-80, PD-100 & PD-120.

If anyone has any advice or tips, that would be great. Thanks!

Compatibility chart, showing TD-6 and TD-8 side-by-side. It seems pad support on both modules is the same. But TD-8 has position sensing on snare and the user interface is more user friendly.

As far as I can tell, you won't get dual trigger on toms on either module if you use mesh pads like PD-85. Only rubber pads can.
    My compact kit.

Comment

Yes, your pads will work fine with the TD-8 (with the same tom rim proviso as the TD-6V mentioned by sciomako).

But it sounds like your TD-8 has not been updated to Version 1.10 (Downloads) which adds trigger types PD6, CY1, CY2, SNR.

Ideally, you should use the following trigger types:

KD-7: KD7
      PDX-8: 8RB
      PD-8: PD6
      PD-85: 8RA
      CY-8: CY1

Bruce

Comment

Ah! Of course! An update!

I'll give that a shot now!

Thanks!

Comment

You will still get bell sounds when you play cymbal edges though. That is a "feature" of TD-8 kits, but can be changed: TD-8 Problems [bow/bell/edge]

Bruce

Comment

Man, is this forum helpful! Lots of good info on the TD-8. Thank you all very much!

BTW, every time I did a search in the forums for "TD-8" it came back empty. Any ideas?

Thanks again...

Comment

The search function here has not been well for some time. It works for words of three letters or longer. Unfortunately that rules out TD-xx, PD-xx etc., so you can only resort to Google: http://www.google.com/search?&q=TD-8+site:vdrums.com

Bruce

Comment

Working...
              X